Callaway MD5 Jaws Wedges

This 54/12 W is quickly becoming my crutch club. Anything inside of 75yds this club is getting used. High shot, low shot, it doesn’t matter this one can do it all. I’m learning to perfect the bump and run with this club around the greens that are either helping me save a score or have tap in pars. I originally had some concerns withy he W grind, but it’s proving to handle any condition or lie.

Once again the 54 covered up some bad iron swings. Several times today I left myself in some bad spots with my irons and the 54 delivered. confidence is sky high with this one and I'm settling in nicely with this one into and around the greens. I need to go back and look, but @badolds can tell you, it saved me easily 8-9 strokes today.

The MD5 Jaws have been a blessing for my game this year. I practice chipping and pitching constantly in my back yard and the hard work has paid off in my short game. Being honest the hours of practice did not help on the course at first. While I may not hole out a lot of chips or stick it by the pin on every pitch shot my fat and thin shots have virtually disappeared. My tee game was terrible yesterday so I had to scramble on a lot of holes. I had a 109 yard shot from heavy rough over a tree with a greenside bunker in the way. The 54 S grind cut right through the rough and sent the ball over the tree and bunker safely on the green for a chance at birdie. I had a mid length bunker shot that I hit aggressively past the pin and the 58 X grind made it stop and spin back towards the hole, saved my ass on that one for sure as I thought it was headed off the green.

I've definitely enjoyed these wedges, maybe more than any other wedge I can think of in recent memory. other than some lingering issues out of the sand, these wedges have given me the opportunity to execute most any shot needed. technique and execution is still a weak point in my short game, but the versatility in the x grind makes all kinds of shots possible so I can improvise on the fly. feel is a billion times better in these than the md4, and even after 6 months of heavy use the spin is still impressive.

my 56 is my workhorse, and the finish has taken a beating. the plating on the sole is pretty worn, but that doesn't affect playability. and i'm seeing some rust/patina in spots. again, who cares? they still perform. but if that's important to you, let me know and i'll throw up some pics.

I swapped my 50 and 54 that had Recoil shafts and have the same lofts with steel KBS Hi Rev 2.0 shafts in the bag right now.
I think the steel is giving me better feed back and has improved my dispersion inside of 100 yards. I know around the green the chips with the 50 have much better feel and I have been closer to the hole.
Nick Faldo would be so proud of you! :ROFLMAO:

The 54° S grind continues to be a great all-around performer, love the feel and it's given me the confidence to use it on full swings when I'm in the right range - something I rarely ever did before with anything below an approach/gap wedge. The PM Grind has taken over the 58° slot and I like it a lot better than the S grind for bunkers and greenside work.

Look forward to tomorrow’s round with these!

a4799f15bb4fc229945c663dcf835006.jpg

Bring on the rust!!!
43e5b89acfb2ff0cb47a045cb19d0fc8.jpg

Going back to the S grind from the W grind has been a game changer for me. I could never get comfortable with the W grind.

Have had these for a week and have got 36 holes in with them but no range time. So far I'm really liking them. I'm still getting used to the feel, distances, and spin. I'll get some practice time in with them tomorrow morning. They both have KBS 610 wedge shafts. The Jaws MD5 is a C grind and bent down from 56* to 55* so it is pretty low bounce at 7*. I was previously gaming a Cleveland CBX2 54* and a CBX Full Face 60*. I think there is more bite with the Callaways. The first couple chips with the MD5 checked up and left me shorter than I was expecting. I've hit two full shots with the MD5. Both stopped within a foot or so of the divot. The greens were soft and divots were like craters so it was hard to tell what the spin was doing. I think there is definitely something to the 610 shafts launching lower. I chipped in from about 15 yards for eagle with the MD5 on a par 5 during a best shot outing this week. I can't remember the last time I chipped in during a round; last year sometime. I've had a couple great pitches with the PM grind out of the rough to a short sided pin. I've also left the PM grind short of the green a couple times. The PM grind lies open nicer than the CBX Full Face.

IMG_1331.jpg

IMG_1332.jpg

My wedge game has been elusive this season. I just couldn't get close on my pitches. Different greens than I'm used to and I'm just not getting the bite I am used to seeing.

I threw my back out on the 5th of July and was in scramble mode to try and get myself ready for our 3 day member/guest. I ended up having to adjust my release to allow me to square the face and add speed without having to turn super hard. Took a few holes in our practice round to get the feel down. But, once it clicked it was time to start throwing darts.

From 80-100, it was like the green was Velcro. The ball would hit and just stop dead in it's tracks. As my confidence rose, I was getting more and more consistent. Adopted this same feel around the green and instead of guessing on how much roll I'd have I could start getting aggressive leading to a lot more kick ins.

I was out of time during my fitting when it was time to pick wedges. I have always had 52, 56, 64 with a 60 rotated in depending on the day. Fitter just said he'd just mark me down for all of them. Was cool to get an extra wedge. But, it still left me with an odd club out and a weird hole at the bottom of the bag. I didn't want to buy a 58 as an experiment. So, I just played around it. Then, it dawned on me. Just get my 56 bent. I've had 58's in the past and just didn't like them as a 60 replacement. But, since the 64 MD5 is so versatile around the greens, it's freed me from having to worry about it being a liability. The bent wedge has been money too. It's rounded my wedges out so well.

I'm so happy with my wedges that I doubt I'll be replacing them for at least 2 or more seasons. The only thing that would tempt me is the MD5 Raw.

i had a shot with my 60x today that was so freaking awesome.

hit a good 3w and caught a downslope leaving me a solid pw in. chunked the crap out of it, and had 40y to a front pin. downwind. cpo and ball was in a damp spot.

i pulled 60 for a little more height and just said to keep my posture and let the club swing with release at impact.

i caught it like 1/4 groove low. picked clean. but it still came off high and with tons of spin. hit right by the hole and stopped, no bounce. despite being downwind and hit a bit thin. tap in par save.

these wedges are freaking money.

i had a shot with my 60x today that was so freaking awesome.

hit a good 3w and caught a downslope leaving me a solid pw in. chunked the crap out of it, and had 40y to a front pin. downwind. cpo and ball was in a damp spot.

i pulled 60 for a little more height and just said to keep my posture and let the club swing with release at impact.

i caught it like 1/4 groove low. picked clean. but it still came off high and with tons of spin. hit right by the hole and stopped, no bounce. despite being downwind and hit a bit thin. tap in par save.

these wedges are freaking money.
That is the best feeling in the game

Just got my MD5’s on order...52/10S, 56/10S & 60/08W with Recoil 95. Really liked the MD3’s when I had them / my current Cobra blacks just don’t bite like these.

Nothing says great wedge like a chip in to save par! Custom 58X FTW!
Best way to start the back 9.

Nothing says great wedge like a chip in to save par! Custom 58X FTW!
Best way to start the back 9.

Thata boy!!

I don’t know what it is about the 58x, but I already have more chip ins this year with that club than any combination of clubs in years past.

I leaned a lot on my 54 today. It helped me have 6 up and downs on the card today to save a lot of strokes. I didn't generate a lot of spin with this one today, but the confidence to pitch it to spots and trust the runout is there.

I’ve struggled with the 30-50 yard pitches. Before the Grandaddy, I was terrified of that shot. Since I’ve been back, and I’ve gotten a lot of reps in with the 58x, I now hope look forward to that shot. I’m a huge fan of the x grind, especially on softer lies.

Last edited:
The 3 amigos are now complete, 50w/54w/60x. I swapped out the set gap wedge and tagged in the 50 w grind. Brought it to the range today and it was just as I had hoped. I loved these wedges from the day I got them and excited to have the 3rd in the mix.

Lot of tight lies on the course I played today and the wedges performed just fine. Easy to make nice clean contact with the ball and get it to run up to the hole or loft one and have it stop quick.

I set my mind to playing the 56w for most shots from 100 and in for the last few rounds and it's simplified a lot of things for me. Still not my favorite with full shots from the fairway, but pretty automatic from the rough.
Have no idea how to play it from covid bunkers, lol.

Ever since swapping out the W grind for the S grind these wedges have really come to life for me. The confidence to hit it close from around the green with these are at an all time high. I am really enjoying these wedges

Not a great day chipping yesterday during back to back 18 hole rounds, however overall the MD5's have been fantastic wedges for me. Its been a huge reason why my scores have dropped significantly this year. I chpped in twice yesterday and left myself with a 6 or 7 less than a foot putts across the 36 holes which really helps the "total putts" stats.

Currently play 52/56/60 but debating switching that up to 54 and 58 as I sometimes drop the 60 so that I can play my 5wood. This change would allow me to keep the 5wood in the bag all the time.

I thought I might see dry conditions today, so I put the 60c in the bag. On a par 5, I pitched it to 3 ft from about 50 yds, for a much needed birdie. Love these wedges.

Update on my findings with the Callaway MD5 Jaws 56 and 60 wedges. I am sooooooooooooo incredibly and indubitably ecstatic about these wedges and the control with them. Spin, check! Feel, check! Distance control, check! Total confidence with them. I was not looking to even try these out, but with the reviews and the help of others in this forum I gave them a shot and I am, again sooo happy I did. These are by far the very best wedges I have ever played. Hands down.
(y)

I was short sided from a bunker. Jaws 58* + prior version of CSx TT = a higher spinning ball that hit and moved with the spin, leaving me a 10’ putt for birdie. My wedges are approaching a year old. I’m pretty excited they still generate that type of spin.

Back