I wouldn't go any higher than maybe 3-4 grand total. I'm a recreational player, so my handicap is purely for my own ego - whether I'm shooting 69 or 96, I'm still earning zero dollars for it and paying the same green fees. I'd probably look at it differently if I was 20 years old and contemplating a future in competitive golf, though.

Five years ago I'd have paid a lot of money - especially when I consider what I did pay for no improvement.

Recently, improvement isn't nearly the concern it once was.

Still, playing the game at that level would be an incredible experience.

$200 an hour, plus 2% of my future winnings, for 1 year on a tour some where.

I agree, but the OP just said "scratch". I don't think "scratch" would scratch the surface of what one needs to be to get on a Tour anywhere relevant.

I agree, but the OP just said "scratch". I don't think "scratch" would scratch the surface of what one needs to be to get on a Tour anywhere relevant.
Maybe, maybe not. I think I read in one of the golf magazines that an average score of par on the pga tournament trail would win a little over $1 million dollars. If true, it would seem to be easier to win money on one of the lessor tours. Hypothetically speaking of course.

Maybe, maybe not. I think I read in one of the golf magazines that an average score of par on the pga tournament trail would win a little over $1 million dollars. If true, it would seem to be easier to win money on one of the lessor tours. Hypothetically speaking of course.

Scratch is getting you no where close to any pro tour. You need to be around a +6 to have any chance at the PGA tour, and even that comes with a lot of qualifiers. You have to be a true +6, not a +6 playing on your home course, not a +6 playing when you feel like it, not a +6 playing only when the weather's nice, and not a +6 playing rounds with nothing on the line. The guys at datagolf estimate the average player on the Challenge Tour and Japan Tour to be only two strokes worse per round than an average PGA player. So essentially you'd still have to be a +4 under all those conditions to make it onto one of these tours. A scratch golfer is going to be giving up at least 16 strokes over the course of a tournament, and the actual number is probably significantly more.

Hell, even in the PGA of Alberta where a win might net you a couple grand, scratch golf isn't going to get you anywhere. Looking at their championship from last year they played a course rated 71.6/128 and you would have had to shoot 145 to cash (for payday of a whopping $170). The winner went 63 / 67.

I would go up to $5000 depending on the time frame if it’s a guarantee. I have already spent well over that in my 20 years of playing trying to improve anyway

I could squeeze $100-$150 a week out of my spending money. It would mean no new gear till they are done with me though.

Probably around 100 an hour, but for me at my age, probably not worth it. If I was younger I would imagine I would definitely give this a shot.

Ok... so this fantasy...

To be a scratch golfer with this teacher exacting a fantasy price, I'd give up hot pockets. I would be willing to not eat another hot pocket. Ever, to be a scratch golfer. And I like hot pockets. I don't eat them all the time but I enjoy them when I do.(y)

This level of instruction investment would be OK by me. I would open my wallet to an instructor/coach who could meaningfully and sustainably improve my game. The challenge is whether or not I can or will find the time to put in the ongoing work beyond the lessons. My growing opinion is that my golf improvement depends more on my time investment to entrain skills and feel than quality of instruction. I'm busy with lots of aspects to my life. Golf gets whats it gets, and I'm OK with that.
That is so true. Taking the lessons are the easy part - it's all of the practice afterwards/in between to ensure the material learned gets committed to memory. I've never been a huge practice guy, so I don't think I could/would do it.

If I could be scratch within a year and retain that skill, the number would be offensive. It is a stretch goal for me in my golf journey and I don’t think I can get there right now but if I had that boost and it would happen, let go!

Yeah, but shooting par on Tour would likely equate to much better than "scratch".

I'd be good with $10,000

I'd probably go $5-10k but only if he also solidifies my mental game too so I can be happy being scratch and not always be wondering about getting to +1. :ROFLMAO:

what if there was no such thing as a hypothetical question?

For this though I would pay a lot! I own a launch monitor gc2, so I've already spent more than most would. But I'd pay much more than that to get to that level.

Man, I'm not sure I'd be willing to didn't a ton. Maybe $100/he. I love golf and want to get better but I'm pretty proud that I've got to this point by being completely self taught.

Back