Covid and The Golf Retail world

annsguy

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My3Kids
After reading how Norstrom was telling its landlords it's only paying half of its rent for the year it made me wonder how golf is doing at retail. How is PGASS, GG Edwin Watts and the rest. I hope for the best but know it is a hard time for everyone

Business is booming.. It will be the biggest year for a long time.

Once our local shop was able to open, they've been swamped. So are our tee sheets unfortunately, lol. I think any outdoor activity is experiencing a boom right now. RV and boat sales/rentals are way up around here from what I have heard too. And, if you need a new bike, good luck finding one.

Once our local shop was able to open, they've been swamped. So are our tee sheets unfortunately, lol. I think any outdoor activity is experiencing a boom right now. RV and boat sales/rentals are way up around here from what I have heard too. And, if you need a new bike, good luck finding one.

I am seeing people drop coin like I have never seen before... There is almost zero thought in it.

It was really dark in the Golf Galaxy. The windows were boarded up due to civil unrest. What a weird feeling. I didn't stick around long. Just picked up some grips and solvent. I think the Golfsmith went under years ago.

Clubfitter was dead today when I picked up my clubs. Just one guy answering the phone while my guy was out to play 18.

I agree. With people having been "locked up" inside for so long we have had time to research, compare pricing, etc. on items that we are interested in. Some may even have been "influenced" by all of the great equipment discussions that take place on forums such as THP for an item that they may or may not have considered previously. While there was a definite down period, I think the year overall will be one of the best in recent times.

Trying to find a push cart is next to impossible right now. They’re either getting one or two every couple weeks, or they’re on backorder till September. I’ve been fortunate to borrow one for a couple weeks but man I’m gettin tired of searching for my own haha!

I went to the PGATSS the other day and the manager told me they have been busy.
All the Epic Flash woods were sold out when I was there.

The course I play on Sunday has full tee sheets from 6am to 4pm.

I went to the PGATSS the other day and the manager told me they have been busy.
All the Epic Flash woods were sold out when I was there.

The course I play on Sunday has full tee sheets from 6am to 4pm.
My course now considers 200 golfers a slow day. Their only regret was pre-selling senior specials (round of golf, cart, and lunch for $24.99 M-W) because they could book those tee times without the specials for over $45/round. In addition, beverage sales are through the roof doing more in a day then they would so on a weekend. Despite being closed for 2 months, this is shaping up to being one of their best years ever.

I was recently in a PGASS. It was packed with people. My favorite local shop has seen a big increase in both new golfers and fittings/new clubs for established golfers. My local course pro shop reports one of their busiest years.

I have stopped in a locally golf shop several times in the past two weeks, both on the weekend and during the week. They were busy during the week and they were very busy on the weekend.

Brick and mortar sales may be slower but Im sure the online sales is through the roof!

My local shop (golf headquarters here in Louisville. One of the absolute best I’ve ever been to, and they have an unreal Scotty collection) has been incredibly busy for the last month. They have 4 trackman bays inside, and they almost always are all in use. Tons of people inside every time I have been in lately.

funny story, I dropped off a shaft for my super hybrid, needed them to cut it, put an adapter on it, and a grip.
With all the new help they had to have, and being busy, you can expect some issues here and there. Went to pick up my shaft today, they had put a super hybrid head on it (I’m sure to align grip) and just handed it to me and said have a great day.

I mean, I would have loved to have another super hybrid head, but no way I could keep it. In fact, I hadn’t even paid them for the adapter, grip, or work yet! All worked out though, gave them back the head and paid for the work, and will continue to be a loyal customer of theirs as long as I live here.

Trying to find a push cart is next to impossible right now. They’re either getting one or two every couple weeks, or they’re on backorder till September. I’ve been fortunate to borrow one for a couple weeks but man I’m gettin tired of searching for my own haha!
Saw a couple sun mountain speedcarts at Scheels all sports in Fargo, ND. They'd likely shop it if you needed one.

Apparently Canadians are lazy when it comes to golf - all of the local shops around here have lots of push carts left.

There's a lot of free (after taxes) money out there right now. People are spending, spending, and more spending. With out a care.

Example.
My neighbors, (husband & wife) are both unemployed due the C-19. They both get $234 a week state unemployment, plus they both get that $600 a week federal unemployment bonus. They financed a new car, purchased a huge, chrome propane grill, big flat screens, and who knows what else.

I'm no financial expert, but I think when this free money bubble pops, the country will suffer a financial crisis that will make the 2007 recession look like a small bump in the road.

A lot of these current big ticket buys, are going to bite a lot people in their collective butts eventually.

We have a new PGASS opening this weekend. I'm excited to go check it out.

It's been the busiest year in a while for my home course and the other local courses as well. I know I've done my part in contributing to both B&M and online sales! :LOL:

My local shop (golf headquarters here in Louisville. One of the absolute best I’ve ever been to, and they have an unreal Scotty collection) has been incredibly busy for the last month. They have 4 trackman bays inside, and they almost always are all in use. Tons of people inside every time I have been in lately.

funny story, I dropped off a shaft for my super hybrid, needed them to cut it, put an adapter on it, and a grip.
With all the new help they had to have, and being busy, you can expect some issues here and there. Went to pick up my shaft today, they had put a super hybrid head on it (I’m sure to align grip) and just handed it to me and said have a great day.

I mean, I would have loved to have another super hybrid head, but no way I could keep it. In fact, I hadn’t even paid them for the adapter, grip, or work yet! All worked out though, gave them back the head and paid for the work, and will continue to be a loyal customer of theirs as long as I live here.
Best golf shop I have ever been in. It's a junkies paradise. And they get cheap large Footjoy shirts which I love LOL!

To echo others, it's been a great year at every course I have been to so far. My home course had a clubhouse fire 3 weeks ago and they have been so busy that by the end of the day they had a tent in the parking lot next to the cart barn and moved all their pro shop to the cart barn. They went and bought 3 fridges somewhere to keep cold beer in the cart barn and opened the next day selling green fees and beer out of the cart barn to another packed tee sheet.

Not sure on golf retailers but our private course has seen a 30% increase in rounds this year and club and clothing sales are up a similar amount. A no guest policy has been put in place during peak times for the first time ever. The resort courses near our cabin are also doing well and rounds are up over last year.

For businesses that cater to activities that are open or available it will be a record year, assuming it remains open. My clubs 2 18 hole courses tee sheets are jam packed. Every day looks like a weekend. Fortunately as a member we are allowed to book a month in advance.

Boating is thriving here as well. I’ve actually avoided it because it’s so busy on the lakes. Fishing license sales are up across the country. It’s good for the outdoors businesses and the country. People are getting out and being more active. Much like New Years gym resolutions I expect it to fade once the pandemic has passed. Until then thrive.

My semi-private course has basically switched to a version of Private, with only members and guests of members allowed.

It's busier than ever. Tee times are like gold.

Local GolfTown store appears to have more traffic than usual as well.

Golf retail stores I've been to never have anything I want. Shelves are just empty. Either they have a supply problem, or people are buying lots of stuff, or the stores are poorly run.

Retail stores as a whole (other than golf) never seem to have what I'm looking for. I always ask where something is, and its "oh, we don't have that here, but we can order it and ship it to you." Yea, thanks dude, I made a 3 hour round trip so that I could order something in a store that I could have ordered at home.

And so as a broader picture, golf sales are up, but my faith in the brick and mortar retail model continues to drop.

~Rock

Back