Seeing demand for 1 and 2 irons

wubears71

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.1 GHIN
I’ve noticed that it’s almost daily that I see posts in various on-line BST groups that someone is looking for a 1 iron or 2 iron. What did I miss that there are suddenly golfers wanting to play them?

They may need a lightning rod. Or, they may not be able to find 1 and 2 hybrids they liked. I used 1h/2h successfully instead of Driver/3W/5W for a year.

Everybody wants one...until they have one.

Probably to prove that they can hit one.

THIS. I was certain I wanted a 2 iron after playing with a buddy who had one (who is a scratch golfer). I got one, and after a few rounds I sold it.

Last edited:
I have a Maltby 2 utility driving iron and I really like it. It is beefier than a 2 iron in design and mine is 19 degrees loft. It fills a nice void for some of those tight off the deck hits where I don't want to use my 5 wood nor my 5 iron and I often hit my 5 wood way too far off some tees on doglegs and the 2 iron is spot on the money for those shots.

I can grab that and hit some great shots around 190-215 off the deck in some tighter lies in thicker grass whereas I tend to twist my 5 iron some on those shots and lose some yardage. I found I use it much more than I ever realized I would.

I love my ZU85 2i, it won't be leaving my bag for quite some time based on how well I hit it

It is also a club that is used a lot at my home course due to the layout and doglegs on a few holes

I was in this boat of wanting a 2 iron for a while. I had one in the bag for a year and now the 4 iron is the longest iron. I won’t go back. Write it in marker.

Punch outs of the trees

I don’t think the majority of people looking for them are wanting solid/classic blades with 18* or less of loft. They are typically wanting driving irons that are built like players distance irons.

I have a UDI 2* and love it. It’s primarily a tee club and I prefer it to hybrids. Even as a beginner I was more accurate with a driving iron/utility than I was with a hybrid

I want either a 1 or 2 Utility iron but am really struggling to find one

Are you talking about 1 or 2 irons or driving irons? There is a difference in my opinion from a traditional 2 iron versus the modern driving iron. I've had both a 2 iron and driving in the bag for the last 20 years. The driving iron is easier to hit and elevate and much more forgiving. I am guessing the uptick in interesting has to do with the improvements listed and for those people like myself that prefer the driving iron to the look of a 5w or hybrid.

Are you talking about 1 or 2 irons or driving irons? There is a difference in my opinion from a traditional 2 iron versus the modern driving iron. I've had both a 2 iron and driving in the bag for the last 20 years. The driving iron is easier to hit and elevate and much more forgiving. I am guessing the uptick in interesting has to do with the improvements listed and for those people like myself that prefer the driving iron to the look of a 5w or hybrid.
Traditional irons - not driving irons. I get driving irons but I’m seeing a lot of people looking for traditional irons. I don’t even know what companies still make a traditional 1 or 2 iron.

I came across an Adams Idea A7 2 hybrid that matched my set. Didn’t even know they made those! But my gapping from 3h to 3W is pretty solid so I didn’t go for it. I can see why they’d be attractive if you can hit them.

I don’t think the majority of people looking for them are wanting solid/classic blades with 18* or less of loft. They are typically wanting driving irons that are built like players distance irons.

I have a UDI 2* and love it. It’s primarily a tee club and I prefer it to hybrids. Even as a beginner I was more accurate with a driving iron/utility than I was with a hybrid

I agree. I have a TM UDI 2i 18* and it's my go to club when I'm looking at a tight fairway or when a driver would launch the ball through the fairway and into the woods. Absolutely love my 2i. Like you, I am also more accurate with it than I am with my hybrids.

Traditional irons - not driving irons. I get driving irons but I’m seeing a lot of people looking for traditional irons. I don’t even know what companies still make a traditional 1 or 2 iron.
I'm going to guess Titleist still makes a couple. I don't know that for sure, but they tend to still produce all that traditional stuff.

I have never used a 1i and a 2i hasn't been in my bag in years.

Years ago I played a 2 iron and actually hit it pretty well. I tried a buddy's 2 iron last year and couldn't hit it to save my life. Not sure why anyone would want one with the advent of all the great hybrids out there. But....to each his own.

I have an old 2i. i sometimes practice with. It will never be in my bag when playing for a score. Its my goofing around club.

It takes a really good swing to hit 1, or 2 iron. The golfer can't be afraid to swing it. A 2i does not allow for any swing problems. It's a lot like full swinging a LW.

When I do practice the 2i, my first several shots are pretty bad. However, those ugly swings/ball flights eventually give way to some pretty good ball striking. A good 2i shot for me is 175+/- yards, with a smallish dispersion at the end.

I figure when practicing with my 2i, it will help my swing when using the easier to hit clubs in my bag.

I have a 2 iron, will utility. But, it may be my fav club in the bag.

I'll stick with the one that was in my grandfathers bag. I was the one that put the rock nick in it back in the 80s. He said I earned the club and I've had it ever since.

CB8110C4-4078-4DC7-968F-EE9BB10F75FD.JPG

Punch outs of the trees
This ^^^^^^^^^^^^ I use it a lot believe it or not. I don't know if that's because I'm in the trees a lot but I also use it off the tee on short par 4's. It's a fairway finder when I hit it. I just don't practice :golf2: enough. Story of my golfing life :rolleyes: I'm afraid

Back