Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

After one round with the Sub Zero the Standard Mavrik is back in the bag. This is not based on the bad shots which were plentiful its based on the only good shot that I hit. I striped one that would have been 300+ with the Standard but it only rolled out to 280. I struggle with driver a lot so I will not blame the club for my bad performance. But when I pull my head out for a moment and put a good swing on the ball I need the club to reward me. I am not giving up completely on the Sub Zero but its going to take some shaft tinkering and launch monitor data to get another shot at the bag. The sound and feel of the Standard is much better and I missed it yesterday.
Were you playing a 9 degree head? Could try bumping the loft up. Given what you described of a well struck shot not carrying as far, I would initially guess that it's likely launching lower and probably not spinning enough to stay in the air for the launch.

Were you playing a 9 degree head? Could try bumping the loft up. Given what you described of a well struck shot not carrying as far, I would initially guess that it's likely launching lower and probably not spinning enough to stay in the air for the launch.
Its a 10.5 head Radi in the S/N hosel setting.

Its a 10.5 head Radi in the S/N hosel setting.
Remind me what your standard head is? Also 10.5? Was there a big difference in ball flight between the two?

Remind me what your standard head is? Also 10.5? Was there a big difference in ball flight between the two?
The Standard is a 10.5 that I play in the neutral setting as well. They both have a low/mid launch but the standard has a flight that rises as it goes down range and the SZ stays flat. I am assuming that its spin keeping the ball in the air longer but I need to get on a launch monitor to be certain. I have several different shafts to try out. I am hoping a different shaft will keep the spin low but launch higher. The standard is so good for me that this may just be a fun waste of time.

The Standard is a 10.5 that I play in the neutral setting as well. They both have a low/mid launch but the standard has a flight that rises as it goes down range and the SZ stays flat. I am assuming that its spin keeping the ball in the air longer but I need to get on a launch monitor to be certain. I have several different shafts to try out. I am hoping a different shaft will keep the spin low but launch higher. The standard is so good for me that this may just be a fun waste of time.
It's fun to tinker though. Maybe try bumping the loft up in the SZ. That should raise spin a bit as well as launch.

Also, assuming the heavy weight was in the back already?

It's fun to tinker though. Maybe try bumping the loft up in the SZ. That should raise spin a bit as well as launch.

Also, assuming the heavy weight was in the back already?
Yes heavy weight in the back.

I had the Max out on the range yesterday. I shot the markers with my rangefinder because they use limited flight balls - some are 10% the new ones are 15%. I needed to work on a few things. Due to my slower swing speed it's 11.5 and in the D position. And unfortunately the tees were too high, so I thought I'd try something. Hovering the driver. I haven't tried this before. Holy crap. First shot went straight as an arrow about 220 carry. Second with a baby draw a little further. I hit one really bad shot out of 10. I skyed one a little that went about 200 carry. The rest were pretty well down the pipe. I think I might try hovering it on the course. This is my favorite driver of all time.

I had the Max out on the range yesterday. I shot the markers with my rangefinder because they use limited flight balls - some are 10% the new ones are 15%. I needed to work on a few things. Due to my slower swing speed it's 11.5 and in the D position. And unfortunately the tees were too high, so I thought I'd try something. Hovering the driver. I haven't tried this before. Holy crap. First shot went straight as an arrow about 220 carry. Second with a baby draw a little further. I hit one really bad shot out of 10. I skyed one a little that went about 200 carry. The rest were pretty well down the pipe. I think I might try hovering it on the course. This is my favorite driver of all time.
I have been toying around with hovering lately. I have to be careful or I can hook them once in a while. But, it really helps remove a lot of tension before the swing.

I have been toying around with hovering lately. I have to be careful or I can hook them once in a while. But, it really helps remove a lot of tension before the swing.
I have to hover. If I don't I feel like my body is frozen. That being said, I've sort of lost my swing. Still hitting the face well, and the standard goes great for distance, but I've been fading a little more than I like recently. I went through a phase with this driver where I was piping them straight for 5 rounds in a row. Gotta find that groove again.

Well taking a little break, or trying to add some dynamic loft, or playing around with a SIM has derailed my Sub Zero Automatic train. I'm sure my expectations got a little high hitting almost 9 out of 10 over a couple hundred there, but I'm going back to that configuration tomorrow on course and at the range after to try get my bearings again. Missed both ways last time out lofted down and weights different, and didn't like that at all. S/N 9*, 8g forward, 5g back again.

I didn't mean to cheat, Sweet Sub! Can you forgive me?! I love YOUUUU!

p.s. I'll buy you a new head cover to wear when I take you out, if it'll help.

Well taking a little break, or trying to add some dynamic loft, or playing around with a SIM has derailed my Sub Zero Automatic train. I'm sure my expectations got a little high hitting almost 9 out of 10 over a couple hundred there, but I'm going back to that configuration tomorrow on course and at the range after to try get my bearings again. Missed both ways last time out lofted down and weights different, and didn't like that at all. S/N 9*, 8g forward, 5g back again.

I didn't mean to cheat, Sweet Sub! Can you forgive me?! I love YOUUUU!

p.s. I'll buy you a new head cover to wear when I take you out, if it'll help.
Man, hell hath no fury like a golf club scorned.

I hope you two are able to make amends.

mnw1Tj.gif

Hmm...
20200708_105206.jpg

My name is Mike. And, I'm addicted to bad ass Callaway drivers. The first step is admitting that I have a problem.:p

20200708_173657.jpg
20200708_173700.jpg
20200708_173710.jpg

The Sub Zero forgave me to the tune of 100% fairways and 283 average today after I put it back how I had it. Results held at the range this afternoon. Think that's enough of the 'don't want to change the swing so change the driver' business. I'm happy to add the loft on my own, Sweet Sub. Just neither of us look at Mike's new girl and we'll be fine.

The Sub Zero forgave me to the tune of 100% fairways and 283 average today after I put it back how I had it. Results held at the range this afternoon. Think that's enough of the 'don't want to change the swing so change the driver' business. I'm happy to add the loft on my own, Sweet Sub. Just neither of us look at Mike's new girl and we'll be fine.
Yeah, best to keep your eyes off of her hotter sister after testing the waters once already 😂

I hear yah....his new toy is eye balling me and I'm not sure I can take it....

I'll keep an eye on the what golf stuff did you buy today. ;)

Stay strong. You already said that it wasn't quite what you were looking for.

Personally, when it comes to golf, I try to stick to the white sapphire kind of gal. :LOL:

Stay strong. You already said that it wasn't quite what you were looking for.

Personally, when it comes to golf, I try to stick to the white sapphire kind of gal. :LOL:
Whoa! Whoa! I dont recall ever saying a Mav TripD was out of the question for me! 😆. The standard SZ was fantastic, but I just found it to draw a bit more than I’d prefer. No doubt that diamonds could be this guys best friend. Ha!

Whoa! Whoa! I dont recall ever saying a Mav TripD was out of the question for me! 😆. The standard SZ was fantastic, but I just found it to draw a bit more than I’d prefer. No doubt that diamonds could be this guys best friend. Ha!
Interesting. I've read that the triple D is more fade biased than the regular SZ...not that you're into that kind of thing. :p

Interesting. I've read that the triple D is more fade biased than the regular SZ...not that you're into that kind of thing. :p

I spent a little time hitting the Mav Max against another company's driver they advertise as maximum forgiveness. For me and my needs (higher launch and higher spin), the Mav Max is a billion times better. It's higher launching, it's straighter, it sounds/feels better, and it looks a ton better at address. Callaway has a serious winner on their hands with the Mav Max for someone like I am. It's definitely the best Callaway driver I've ever hit (for me).

I spent a little time hitting the Mav Max against another company's driver they advertise as maximum forgiveness. For me and my needs (higher launch and higher spin), the Mav Max is a billion times better. It's higher launching, it's straighter, it sounds/feels better, and it looks a ton better at address. Callaway has a serious winner on their hands with the Mav Max for someone like I am. It's definitely the best Callaway driver I've ever hit (for me).
It does look so much better at address than most of the other max forgiveness ones. Not even close.

Back