RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you have that hole?

The one you just feel comfortable on?

Or the one that eats your lunch every time?

yes, both

on the course I recently joined, I feel pretty comfortable on #5. there are trees down the right of the teebox for the first 20 or so yards, then it "opens up" although there are bunkers and a couple pines on the right. ob way right. left isn't too bad. but if you hit a mid flight runner, you can catch a speed slot and get some extra distance. I feel pretty comfortable over that tee shot, which can set you up for a nice birdie opportunity.

there are several holes that give me fits, but the worst is probably #18. it plays over water, though the carry isn't an issue, maybe 150-175 yards. the problem is there are trees down the right and the left. they're shaped to encourage a fade, but the right side of the fairway is blocked out by trees halfway to the green. the hole plays uphill the entire length, and is not short. it's a real round killer.

This stupid hole has gotten me all season until last round when I finally birdied it! It’s a 310 yard par 4. I need to take 3h to avoid going through the fairway. You tee off over a short creek and 40ish foot elevation change. The fairway goes straight out and the hole is up another 40ish feet. For the life of me I couldn’t put a ball in the fairway and if I did, my second shot was something out of a horror movie. Fun hole when I’m not messing with chunked shots and trees! 😆
57988721-5868-4E8B-849D-DFC4E2BA379A.jpeg

Yes I have both of them. Some days Par 3’s just eat my lunch over and over. Oh yeah that was today. :ROFLMAO:

Still waiting for the hole that I feel comfortable on. It was the 100 yard par 3 until I put a few balls over the green, the trap, the hill, the cart path, and into the barn.

Yes I do. On my home course they are right next to each other. The first is a long par 4 about 410 yards with a 50 yard wide fairway between trees on both sides. I always feel like I can grip and rip it on this hole and I almost always get a par or bogey on it. I am extremely comfortable playing this hole.

My uncomfortable hole is the next hole, a 360 yard par 4 with a sand trap covering the right side of the fairway about 220 from the tee to the dead center of this trap. That is right in my drivers landing/ending spot. I can either play the narrow lane to the left of the trap and hope I do not end pull it into the woods to the left or fade it into the trap or I can play back with my fairway wood. The problem is my fairway wood only maxes out at 200-210 so I am 150-160 out when I hit that. The green on this hole is tiny and elevated. If you hit it over the green you're dead as it drops to a thin apron that the ball rolls right through onto the cart path and then off the property into somebodies backyard. There is a large bunker with a high lip that guards the front left and left side of the green. Right is a thin apron you have to pick one off of to get up onto the elevated green. The only real miss is short right because the green angles toward the fairway so from there you can hit a bump and run onto the green. My shot here is to take the club that if I hit it perfectly it would just make it to the center of the green and aim at the right side away from the bunker. This hole is a surefire bogey which is not bad, but most people I play with hit their driver over that bunker and are setting 100-120 out with a wedge or 9 iron in their hand. They can take dead aim at the pin while I am back at 160 with my 6 iron worrying abut all kinds of trouble. I lose a lot of skins on that hole.

I have both.

#17 on my home course has been my nemesis lately. It's a very short, easy par 3 (115 yards, handicap 18), and I can't put a tee shot on the green to save my life. My normal miss with irons is a pull, but on that hole I almost invariably block it right and end up either in a bunker or in a desert waste area to the right of it, where your ball will be lost or unplayable about 60% of the time. I can be hitting my irons straight or left all day long, and when I come to that hole it'll go right almost every. freaking. time. I score bogey or double almost every time we play it, and it drives me absolutely nuts that such a simple hole gets in my head so bad.

#8 is my "good" hole. It's a 440 yard par 5 (handicap 11) with a blind tee shot over a hill, then a downhill approach to the green. I'm often on in two, and it's the hole I most often birdie on the entire course and one of two holes on the course I've eagled. Par is a barely acceptable score for me on that hole, anything more than par and I feel like I just wasted a good scoring opportunity.

Yeah, I have one. Long par 4 with a creek the whole way up the left and OB right. I get tight knowing I can’t miss and I lose a lot of balls there.

This stupid hole has gotten me all season until last round when I finally birdied it! It’s a 310 yard par 4. I need to take 3h to avoid going through the fairway. You tee off over a short creek and 40ish foot elevation change. The fairway goes straight out and the hole is up another 40ish feet. For the life of me I couldn’t put a ball in the fairway and if I did, my second shot was something out of a horror movie. Fun hole when I’m not messing with chunked shots and trees! 😆
View attachment 8952455
This hole seems like candidate A for the "driver or other" thread off the tee.
I think I'd go driver for the added forgiveness, and even if you're in the rough up there, its a short shot. Rough too bad up there?
To go along with my fear of the number 13, I've found so many courses hole #13 is a par 3 and I play it atrociously. :confused:

The 13th hole at my course is a par 3 over water that’s either a 6 or 7 iron based on the wind always eats my lunch and I don’t know why...

1594246454620.png1594246520921.png

This hole is long at 520 with a couple intersecting creeks, but since joining this membership I have played it Birdie / par / bogey ... Knocking on wood because I don't want to ruin that streak.

It helps hitting hybrid and 3w to a short wedge shot (60-75) each third. I have been getting off the tee box well here as its a nice easy swing that needs to go 230-280 depending on the day.

Didn't know that this was the #1 handicap on the course - that makes me feel that much better.

Yes, both.

I actually commented to my playing partners last Sunday that #4 on our Hills nine I just cannot get comfortable on the tee. I hit the fairway 75% of the time, but there is just something visually that I can't get to my comfort zone.

#3/4/6/7/8 Lakes on the other hand I feel like I can't miss the fairway if I tried. Go figure.

#6 it’s 303-317 yards, par 4
With out of bounds feet away running down the right side. Now I normally don’t hit the ball right. But they always have the tee boxes facing at angle to the out of bounds. Now everyone puts their club square down the fairway with their feet left, a lot of pushes and slices end up happening. There is 5 yards of rough between fairway and OB on the right. Left and it’s tree lined. Seems like such an easy hole.. I know.. you can not see the green from the tee box, the elevation is straight up to the middle of the fairway.

7F95C7B2-5CBE-4AFD-805B-1327636ADC07.jpeg

Last edited:
This hole seems like candidate A for the "driver or other" thread off the tee.
I think I'd go driver for the added forgiveness, and even if you're in the rough up there, its a short shot. Rough too bad up there?
To go along with my fear of the number 13, I've found so many courses hole #13 is a par 3 and I play it atrociously. :confused:
No driver for me. The tree on the left blocks the green and if you play it down the fairway it’s OB. It’s not even on the risk/reward spectrum.

Wekopa Cholla #8. I hate it.....I hate it......yuck.

Capture1.PNG

No driver for me. The tree on the left blocks the green and if you play it down the fairway it’s OB. It’s not even on the risk/reward spectrum.
See, I didn't even notice that road down the entire RIGHT side. I was looking at that tree thinking if hybrid/whatever wasn't hit perfect, long shot and maybe stuck behind that tree anyway?

Look to where you want to hit it. :love: "Look at all that green stuff out there!" :D

Every hole has the potential to eat my lunch depending upon my tee shot. There are holes I've actually given up on making par.

The 5th hole has become a par 6. My snowman then becomes a DB.
The 12th hole has become a par 5. This is the hardest hole on the course.
The 15th hole has become a par 5. This is an uphill hole all the way. You need to play to the right side of the fairway if you want a flat lie, but that will give you the longest approach.
The 18th hole has become a par 5. You're tired. Just get the ball in the fairway. It's not even long. A 6i + 8i should do the trick. But.... FORE RIGHT!

See, I didn't even notice that road down the entire RIGHT side. I was looking at that tree thinking if hybrid/whatever wasn't hit perfect, long shot and maybe stuck behind that tree anyway?

Look to where you want to hit it. :love: "Look at all that green stuff out there!" :D

That's what I do, and my play improved greatly once I started doing it. Pick a firm target and, as Harvey Penick said, "Take dead aim!" You need to have a firm target picked out on every shot.

#8 on home course, par 3 plays anywhere from 167 to 205. Only 2 things happen on this hole for some reason- 1. either hit center of green and make par or 2. snap hook left OB. Don't know why, but it sucks.

Right now, on the home course, I have one of both.

Par 3, over a pond. Easy 7 iron. No idea why, but I can very easily dunk it on this hole.

Par 5, if I get hold of my drive, I can get on in 2. If not, I can make the layup and leave myself a 9 or less to the green. I think I've had par or birdie on this hole every time I've played over the past two months

I have both. There are some holes that just suit your eye and you stand on the tee knowing that you're going to score some points on it. But there are a couple of holes on my course where I am absolutely delighted to have got away with a bogey. Is all mental, I know this!

Yes, its this hole

The wind is usually from the right and towards the pond, OOB all down the right hand side
4th.png

I have several "that" holes that come to mind. Two are on my local course where the second (or third depending on your tee shot you may have to hit a 20-30 yard safety) shots are over water. BTW 7 of the 9 holes on this course deal with water which make it very challenging.

The 1rst is a Par 5 and you really have to land the first shot right near the pond and if I remember correctly about 250 (whites) total to get a decent second shot over the pond. This hole gets the best of golfers. I cannot even count the times I have watched people put their second shot in the drink on this hole. The second shot across the pond to set you up for a good third shot is often anywhere from around 140-170 depending on where you land, yet appears to be so much longer in your vision.

Once you get over the pond then you have to deal with a long uphill shot to a hidden small elevated green and due to the difficulty few can make this one in one (second) shot. Not all that uncommon to see 8-10 strokes on this hole from a variety of golfers.

The next "that" hole is a Par 4, that requires you land on a hill and not the slightest bit over or the ball is rolling down a steep hill in the drink. This is another mental head biter and has gotten many a golfer and even on their safety shots. It has two bunkers close to the elevated small green. You are hitting off the hill to an elevated green about 120-150 out between the two bunkers.

Here is my hole I hate... sleepy hollow hole #2 par 3 sets up about 225-240 possible wind in face. I have been playing this hole in leagues for 4 years. Escaping with bogey is always a win. The ravine in front of tee box and wrapping up the right hand side is never good for fades or slice. The bunkers on the right push even further protection and the two tiered green at that distance makes shot distance super important be it from a chipping position or tee shot. Screenshot_20200709-071720.jpgScreenshot_20200709-071940__01.jpg

Back