Why aren't there any Maltby club reviews?

I'm simply playing devil's advocate here in many ways, guys. It's a perception thing, an awareness thing, all of the things I and you guys have mentioned, but still feel I am attacked for just making statements and observations, and not judgement.

The "Kia" crack isn't anything aimed at those owners or Maltby owners. It was a price point kinda middle of the road as example of something that vehicles low to high end will get you to your destination, just how YOU choose to go on that journey.
I prefaced, I have NO, ZERO knowledge of current or even past product. Never waded into it, and the reasons we have discussed were the reasons.
The same discussion is taking place now as it did years ago, so it all seems consistent anyway? :cool: People never reported great resale, and even with OEM stuff, its that "driving it off the lot" effect and we know the financial hit once its not new. I've had brand new clubs fail too, so used was never an issue for me. I can tell when things have been cared for on not. The ones where they got traded back in without much use are sometimes in better shape than the "new" stuff on racks at golf stores that got handled a ton.

I'm being encircled and eaten by a small school of Maltby-loving pirhanas. :ROFLMAO:;):ROFLMAO:
I've owned non brand name & oem clubs. You guys saw that part too? Tough audience.
That is one thing I have definitely noticed over the years: The chip on the shoulder mentality that you're gonna "prove" that they're "just as good."

I tune out at this point because I just wanna play what I wanna play and so do you. ;)
I'll play a round with any of ya guys. :cool:(y) Just have some lunch before ya come and I'll hide my arms. :D:p

I'm simply playing devil's advocate here in many ways, guys. It's a perception thing, an awareness thing, all of the things I and you guys have mentioned, but still feel I am attacked for just making statements and observations, and not judgement.

The "Kia" crack isn't anything aimed at those owners or Maltby owners. It was a price point kinda middle of the road as example of something that vehicles low to high end will get you to your destination, just how YOU choose to go on that journey.
I prefaced, I have NO, ZERO knowledge of current or even past product. Never waded into it, and the reasons we have discussed were the reasons.
The same discussion is taking place now as it did years ago, so it all seems consistent anyway? :cool: People never reported great resale, and even with OEM stuff, its that "driving it off the lot" effect and we know the financial hit once its not new. I've had brand new clubs fail too, so used was never an issue for me. I can tell when things have been cared for on not. The ones where they got traded back in without much use are sometimes in better shape than the "new" stuff on racks at golf stores that got handled a ton.

I'm being encircled and eaten by a small school of Maltby-loving pirhanas. :ROFLMAO:;):ROFLMAO:
I've owned non brand name & oem clubs. You guys saw that part too? Tough audience.
That is one thing I have definitely noticed over the years: The chip on the shoulder mentality that you're gonna "prove" that they're "just as good."

I tune out at this point because I just wanna play what I wanna play and so do you. ;)
I'll play a round with any of ya guys. :cool:(y) Just have some lunch before ya come and I'll hide my arms. :D:p

My comments were not intended to be personal or an attack at all. I apologize if I came across that way.

You're more than welcome to hang out here there's no reason to leave.

I don't think the chip on the shoulder thing really applies here. I think most of the guys in the thread here are quite performance based. If the product sucked I think every guy here would move on. If the performance wasn't there then who cares what it costs? There is no value in that instance.

Dave

I'm being encircled and eaten by a small school of Maltby-loving pirhanas. ;)

Im a bit surprised you have such broad opinions of clubs you have never hit.
I rent cars every month when meeting the boat and have driven everything under the sun. Yet never a KIA. Didn't think much of the brand, had no experience with them, but didn't have warm thoughts to them. Funny enough last month I rented a KIA out of Laguardia. It was their full size sedan with less then 2k miles on it. After driving that car for 150 miles I can easily say it was one of the nicest cars I have driven this year. Balanced, smooth yet responsive and surprisingly quick. So I guess my point is I should have driven the KIA before I passed judgment on it.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Oh wow, I didn’t think anything came off as an attack by anyone in this thread. Like myself I am just relaying my experiences. Sorry you felt attacked, defiantly not the intention. I thought everyone was having a good conversation. Sharing their opinions based on actual personal experiences with the clubs as opposed to someone with, as you clearly stated, have ZERO personal experience with the Maltby Brand

My previous post was pretty clear that I am not loyal to any brand, I play what I play. I’m a club ho. The Maltby Irons have afforded me to ho out even more in other areas of the bag!

If you ever make your way to Arizona send me a PM and we can get a round in! I’ll be interested to look back on this thread and see what clubs are in my ho’d out golf bag as well!

Huge fan of that particular club. The level of confidence it can bring to the table is worth the price alone.
Sometimes we have to swallow our pride and get away from the sexy pro versions of club. This is just such a club yet performs beautifully.

Here it is:
18ba78bd2b709882320a1f18ff76bcda.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just saw this thread pop up in the feed, and saw my old Maltby thread was mentioned early on.

I spent last week at my mom's place in Newark (home of Golfworks) and tried going into the outlet store on Friday. I had plans of potentially picking up a used set of irons. Unfortunately, it's essentially shut down to all activity except picking up orders. No browsing or hitting clubs, so I left annoyed but with a heavier wallet. Then, I decided I was going to order a few custom clubs online and after pricing them out on Friday I think I went to make some orders on Saturday and the 20% off sale was over.

All that annoying stuff out of the way, I have finally figured out how to hit my KE4 Tour FDI 2 hybrid off the tee and am finding the fairway a lot more than I do with my driver, and I'm not really losing any distance. This thing sounds and feels great when you make good contact.

I still plan on getting a set of irons that I can put into play when my PTx Pro's are giving me fits (like right now) but I'm not sure when I'll actually pull the trigger.

I have been playing the Maltby Moment XI putter for a couple of months now. It's made of aircraft grade milled aluminum and the burnt orange color really stands out. With the white ball in motion alignment aid, it's really easy to see and line up the putt. The distance control I have with this putter is off the charts. The Evnroll putters are the only putters I have rolled that are comparable in the distance control category for me. It's high MOI and milled face pattern really helps with putts not struck exactly in the middle. I'm ecstatic over this putter. I got it with the SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 grip and couldn't be happier with the purchase. Best putter I have owned at any price. I posted a picture of the putter below.

Last edited:
Maltby threads? Yeah, this is the way they usually go, and why I usually avoid them. :ROFLMAO:;)

Maltby threads? Yeah, this is the way they usually go, and why I usually avoid them. :ROFLMAO:;)

I don't get it. Where in the thread were you attacked? I don't see how this thread could be much more inclusive of a variety of opinions.

Not everything here is sunshine. I'm not getting on well with the FDI 21*. I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with the club, but my ball striking is not up to snuff enough to use it capably.

Dave

Maltby threads? Yeah, this is the way they usually go, and why I usually avoid them. ;)
Maybe you are bored but no one attacked you. You made comments about gear you know nothing about and people spoke their mind.

Maybe you are bored but no one attacked you. You made comments about gear you know nothing about and people spoke their mind.

This is pretty exemplary of why I am sorry I even waded in to the thread.
If people said my Titleists sucked, water off my back. Maltby? This is what we get? Enjoy.

Im a bit surprised you have such broad opinions of clubs you have never hit.
I rent cars every month when meeting the boat and have driven everything under the sun. Yet never a KIA. Didn't think much of the brand, had no experience with them, but didn't have warm thoughts to them. Funny enough last month I rented a KIA out of Laguardia. It was their full size sedan with less then 2k miles on it. After driving that car for 150 miles I can easily say it was one of the nicest cars I have driven this year. Balanced, smooth yet responsive and surprisingly quick. So I guess my point is I should have driven the KIA before I passed judgment on it.

I think this comment hits home well.
As you said, you judged the car.

There definitely is a bit of an "us vs them" mentality when it comes to component brands and that's cool. If it works for people and they want to wear it as a badge, I am all for it. I think many times the same can be said in reverse though. When the endless posts come out of "its just as good as anything on the market" from people that havent tried the entire market place. So I get it, it does go both ways.

With that said, I am never a big fan of someone stating something as fact, without trying it. I have tested every single thing in the Maltby line in the last 12 months. Wasn't wowed by some of it, thought some was pretty darn decent. It should be treated the same way as any other brand as it will have fans that have a defense mechanism, detractors for some odd reason and in the end somewhere we hope this community and website helps shed light on all products.

Yet here you are......just doesn’t make sense.
When you have made 15 posts here, and this is one of them, I just have to assume you are looking for conflict. It won't work. Sorry.

I think its REALLY sad that when I even outright stated I have not hit the product, and very valid reasons why, and took the time out of my day to participate in a thread that was not OEM, and still this is the treatment you get.
I don't care what brand of golf club you choose to play. But this is a problem with people that come on forums and have to tell others what to do or think that align themselves with "components." People have brand loyalties with OEM's too, and there is just something about "components" and this chip on shoulder mentality? It is precrisely why people DO NOT wade in. I waded in just to see what would happen, and NOTHING has change in years with respect to components and the nastiness therein these threads.

It will be a good 5 year or more until I choose to again. Have at it. :LOL:

I think this comment hits home well.
As you said, you judged the car.

There definitely is a bit of an "us vs them" mentality when it comes to component brands and that's cool. If it works for people and they want to wear it as a badge, I am all for it. I think many times the same can be said in reverse though. When the endless posts come out of "its just as good as anything on the market" from people that havent tried the entire market place. So I get it, it does go both ways.

With that said, I am never a big fan of someone stating something as fact, without trying it. I have tested every single thing in the Maltby line in the last 12 months. Wasn't wowed by some of it, thought some was pretty darn decent. It should be treated the same way as any other brand as it will have fans that have a defense mechanism, detractors for some odd reason and in the end somewhere we hope this community and website helps shed light on all products.
This is why I will often state the value I place on it for the money spent and I agree, why make statements of fact about what you do not know? I am not a Maltby advocate any more than I am any other club advocate. I state what I like, what it does, or does not do for me, and try to give the value it provides for me so that others might get any assistance in their journey.

I have mixed clubs in my arsenal and 3 of them are Maltby (2 wedges and a utlitiy iron), and I have Cobra, Callaway, Wilson, etc. Whatever works and provides the value a person needs is super cool with me.

My buddy recently got fitted and wound up with Cobra irons. I think they are awesome and felt great. They are a great fit for him (even though I can hit them better than he can right now) :ROFLMAO:.

Over the next week i have to do a ton of shaft testing. The KE4 TC driver heads will be the test mules.
Ill have about 8 shafts to test of all different builds and specs. Ill dump some of the data in here as it should be fun.

Over the next week i have to do a ton of shaft testing. The KE4 TC driver heads will be the test mules.
Ill have about 8 shafts to test of all different builds and specs. Ill dump some of the data in here as it should be fun.

Since this is the Maltby review thread, have you ever hit any of the Maltby hybrids and what are your thoughts about them?

Since this is the Maltby review thread, have you ever hit any of the Maltby hybrids and what are your thoughts about them?

I have the KE4 Tour TC 3 hybrid with a Tensei blue shaft in my bag and like it a lot. Great feel and sound on well struck balls and pretty forgiving.

I have hit the FDI, the Tour TC and the STi2. The STi2 was in a senior flex so it really wasn't my specs but I was hitting a customers club. Good feel and a very high soft flight. Good choice on a tight budget.
The FDi and the Tour TC are a good level up in looks and performance. Both do a great job but quite differently. The FDI plays like an extention of your irons. It has a lower, boring type of flight yet produces enough spin to stay on a green. Not great out of the rough but it will get the job done. Superior flight and control out of the tee box and faiway lies.
The Tour TC does it with high flight, drop out of the sky performance. Out of the rough it really shines. They have such a low COG and smooth shape that they glide right through. They can be played out of the tee box but as you would imagine fly high.
I personally use the FDI as it suits my game better with a fairly high swing speed.
Both clubs have exceptional feel and sound. Plus both have the changeable weight so you can dial in any swing weight you chose.
STi2 if you need a lot of help. Then a mid capper would go to the Tour TC. Finally i would hand the FDI to a better player. But with that last sentence one of my better players uses the Tour TC over the FDI.

I recently picked up a KE4 Tour TC #3 hybrid paired with a UST Proforce Black shaft. It's the only hybrid I have been able to hit. Right now it is one of the most reliable clubs in my bag.

When you have made 15 posts here, and this is one of them, I just have to assume you are looking for conflict. It won't work. Sorry.

Cool, not one person in this thread agreed with you. Good luck. Ignore is a great feature in the forum, only took me 16 posts to use it.

Last edited:
I have hit the FDI, the Tour TC and the STi2. The STi2 was in a senior flex so it really wasn't my specs but I was hitting a customers club. Good feel and a very high soft flight. Good choice on a tight budget.
The FDi and the Tour TC are a good level up in looks and performance. Both do a great job but quite differently. The FDI plays like an extention of your irons. It has a lower, boring type of flight yet produces enough spin to stay on a green. Not great out of the rough but it will get the job done. Superior flight and control out of the tee box and faiway lies.
The Tour TC does it with high flight, drop out of the sky performance. Out of the rough it really shines. They have such a low COG and smooth shape that they glide right through. They can be played out of the tee box but as you would imagine fly high.
I personally use the FDI as it suits my game better with a fairly high swing speed.
Both clubs have exceptional feel and sound. Plus both have the changeable weight so you can dial in any swing weight you chose.
STi2 if you need a lot of help. Then a mid capper would go to the Tour TC. Finally i would hand the FDI to a better player. But with that last sentence one of my better players uses the Tour TC over the FDI.

Thanks for the write up! BTW, dealing with a swing speed of around 90-95 would that be more along the lines of the STi2, or better choice the Tour TC? I don't mind getting one of each to try if needed. I hit my 5 wood fair but not so the 3 wood. Currently my 5 wood has been the overall better performer.

If I swing my socks out of my shoes I can hit my 3 wood as I think it gets the compression needed, but at my age that would end up doing permanent damage and so far it just ain't working. o_O I like something for off the fairway and out of the rought which might be the TC Tour hybrid, but not sure at my swing speeds.

I currently have a Maltby FDI #2 at 19 degrees. That has been my deck iron from the rough when I need that low shot 185-200 yard and sometimes it is perfect for those 200+ yard doglegs off the tee, but I don't get any height on it much at all from the rough and can be risky shot with too much run out sometimes.

Back