Callaway MAVRIK Drivers

I had the honeymoon phase, the wandering eyes phase, then the true appreciation phase, and I've come to the conclusion over the past 8 months that it is spectacularly.... neutral. If you're a draw player, you'll hit a draw every time with it. I feel like the Rogue as was slightly more fade biased, but my swing was different so it's hard to really say. The SIM is definitely more fade biased, so it's no surprise your left misses with it weren't as severe. You'll have to decide if that's what you need or not, but the mav SZ definitely doesn't favor the right like that.

My miss is traditionally an overcooked draw, and changing the front to back weights a little helps avoid that for me for some reason.
I love this feedback - spectacularly neutral! And I didn't know the SIM was more fade biased, but that does make sense. Definitely an aspect I need to consider. Thank you.

Yeah, most definitely swing path. If I put a good swing on it, no issue. Compared with the other four drivers that night, the hooks were biggest with the MAVRIK. Could be it was late in the trial and the swing degraded with fatigue. Have you noticed that this head is more likely to go left than others? Thanks!

do you recall what your spin rates were with each driver? if you're having path issues, lower spin can definitely exacerbate that miss.

do you recall what your spin rates were with each driver? if you're having path issues, lower spin can definitely exacerbate that miss.
I wish I did. I was really only paying attention to trajectory and distance to gauge the first three drivers. I started to pay attention to numbers with the Callaway, though not too closely. You make a good point though. I'll hit it again and maybe a few others and see what's going on with the spin on those mishits. Thank you.

I wish I did. I was really only paying attention to trajectory and distance to gauge the first three drivers. I started to pay attention to numbers with the Callaway, though not too closely. You make a good point though. I'll hit it again and maybe a few others and see what's going on with the spin on those mishits. Thank you.

if you can, try to move the weight back in the head. that should add some stability.

30-40 yards left? That most likely isn’t a draw bias. Could it be swing path relates?
I agree with both of these statements. 30-40 yards is beyond what a certain bias would be producing. I think McLovin is on to something as well. If you are getting some less than perfect strikes and spin is dropping way low, that could be problematic too.

Maybe a combination of factors, but I think @OldandStiff sold me with “spectacularly neutral.” I ordered the club and believe there’s a path (no pun intended) to adjust the club to minimize the big hook. And of course I’ll continue to take lessons and work on the occasional swing path issue. Thank you all for taking the time!

Did some practicing at the range today with the Mavrik, which I rarely do. This club just continues to check every box. Long, forgiving, easy to launch, and literally the best feeling/sounding driver I've ever hit. Can't rave about this club enough.

I had the honeymoon phase, the wandering eyes phase, then the true appreciation phase, and I've come to the conclusion over the past 8 months that it is spectacularly.... neutral. If you're a draw player, you'll hit a draw every time with it. I feel like the Rogue as was slightly more fade biased, but my swing was different so it's hard to really say. The SIM is definitely more fade biased, so it's no surprise your left misses with it weren't as severe. You'll have to decide if that's what you need or not, but the mav SZ definitely doesn't favor the right like that.

My miss is traditionally an overcooked draw, and changing the front to back weights a little helps avoid that for me for some reason.

I'd agree that the Mavrik SZ is neutral and my GBB Epic SZ was slightly more fade biased. I can hit a draw with the Mavrik but it's also easy to hit a cut with. So far after 5 rounds zero big hooks or slices and only one big push to the right but that was today when my feet slipped in the rain.

Maybe a combination of factors, but I think @OldandStiff sold me with “spectacularly neutral.” I ordered the club and believe there’s a path (no pun intended) to adjust the club to minimize the big hook. And of course I’ll continue to take lessons and work on the occasional swing path issue. Thank you all for taking the time!
I will say this. My miss is right and the Mav SZ has really kept me from missing hard right. The guys at ECPC really dialed in my driver specs and I don’t think I’ll ever get rid of this club.

I'm back up to 80% at 284 with the Sub Zero, but when I get home I'm going to try a 10.5 head one more time. I'm having to work a little too hard to add loft and spin and it's throwing off my swing dynamics a little. Don't like my position at impact. Can't lean into it. Gonna go with a 10.5 and Hzrdus black 6.5 for a few and see what happens.

Last edited:
Last night saw me recapture some of the magic I lost off the tee recently. I had a stretch in July where I was just hitting these effortlessly long draws. Into August something changed in my feel and I was having to use a lot more effort and started losing too many shots left. Last night I was hitting the most beautiful draws. They just stayed in the air and carried forever. I hit one drive that was shy of 300 yards. It was on the first hole where I smoked a tree just right of the tee box. Was planning on a draw and started it a lot further right than I planned. I think the shortest drive I had outside of that was 310 and that was a drive that carried into a steep embankment and basically stopped just ahead of it's pitch mark. Otherwise, I saw 330-340 multiple times. If I could hit a wedge to save my life yesterday I think I would have had a really good score.

But, I walked away feeling like I accomplished something after drastically improving my tee game.

In terms of the Mavrik SZ TD, I am not finding it to have any sort of drastic fade bias. I think it is extremely neutral.

I have been concentrating on teeing the ball higher and hitting up on the ball and it has helped. Gives me better center face contact and allows me to hit a little small draw when needed. Had 2 drives today that got to the 260 mark which is huge for me.

Had my best driving day of the year--and one of my best ever--today with the Mavrik/Ventus Blue combo. The front 9 was special, missing just one fairway, and that was only a few feet into the right rough. And those who have golfed with me know that tee accuracy is NOT my strong suit. But today I just felt incredibly in control, hitting the ball on my line and plenty far. I was living in the 260-270 range all day, topping out at around 280 on a wet course. Despite another horrid day with the irons, I tied my second best score (86), and I have this driver to thank. The Mavrik has now far surpassed my previous favorite driver (G400 Max). It's significantly longer for me and feels so unbelievably good.

Last edited:
So I went with the 10.5 SZ head and hzrdus black 62 6.5 as planned, turned to 10* and .865* flat (uni-fit). Hit a couple nice and easy ones on the front, because I sat the shaft in the past for being a little much on days when I didn't have it, and mashed them for the swing speed. Really efficient. Loved the flight, and being more where I wanted myself at impact. Went after them on the back a little and loved it more. Very limited sample size, but was really encouraged by it. Averaged 297 on the day and missed 2 fairways just left. Hoping to start a little looser tomorrow to see if it holds.

So here's the interesting bit. Last night when I was setting it up, I realized the 10.5 head was 4 grams lighter than the 9, and it actually showed up more than a general calculation would give you based on that in the swing weight (grips must have been about 2g different). I'm not a swing weight fanatic, but I really didn't want to do a comparison between old and new with it being that far off. Also didn't want to add too much to the head to get the SW to equal out. Kind of split the difference. Went with 9g and 7g weights instead of my usual 8g and 5g and was within just under 1 SW point off in the end. Again, limited sample, but it feels like I made the right choice on that. Didn't feel or sound noticeably different.

Or maybe Mavrik SZ is just so good it doesn't really matter?!?! :unsure:

The new setup is a *smashing* hit. I think I was a little gunshy about making the change for a couple weeks because of the great FIR % I was getting with good distance. The higher lofted head and stiffer shaft is everything I hoped so far though. I had been cutting the SZ well on command, and then decided to ramp up the SS a little, and kind of lost it. Was also getting a bunch of high on the face strikes. I live a little above middle to begin with, but it was more exaggerated. And when I didn't, I wasn't getting enough launch and spin. Well the cut on command is back, high strike more minimized, launch and spin better, and the results are awesome. Worked it both ways with ease on a really nice trajectory. Loved it. I'll always turn one over a bit, and lose one a little, and yank one a little during a round, which I did, but it resulted in 2 missed fairways and a 300.3 avg today. I can't really ask for more than that. That head is fantastic.

Edit: That 10.5 is definitely louder though. So was my last one, which is so weird. Something about the slightly different shape and lighter head??

Last edited:
New driver arrived today! 10.5 MAVRIK SZ with Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X shaft, Golfpride Tour Velvet plus6 midsize. I'm now on page 112/141, so based on everything I've read I started with the head in the -1/N setting and 2g weight forward, 14g weight back.

Appearance: I just love the look of this shaft and head combination. The orange and black color scheme just look so sweet together. The head looks like the perfect size and shape. Keep in mind I've been playing the Titleist 913D3 for nearly 8 years, so I'm used to something maybe a bit smaller, but this SZ is gorgeous. It frames the ball well and inspires confidence. The carbon fiber top, like many out there these days, is beautiful. Lastly, it sits open in the current configuration which is necessary for me to not believe I'm going to hook it into Narnia.

Feel: I was a little concerned about X flex even though I'd tested this same club-shaft combination, but like the YS series of yesteryear, the Graphite Design shafts play a half flex less than advertised. The X is slightly stiffer than a S, which is a perfect feel for me. The shaft in my Titleist was the Diamana D+ white 70 in stiff, which feels at least a half a flex stiffer than advertised. Just waggling the club about felt great. The full practice swings - my immediate thought was balanced. Not sure if that's accurate, just what I was thinking to myself. Maybe because a lighter shaft than I was using or something else, but the club felt so balanced and I could feel the head position throughout the swing. It also didn't feel as heavy as my Titleist, less effort to swing.

Haven't hit it yet.....

And honestly I had real fear about two things. #1, no control over tee height on the range and I have never in my life put snow on the roof of a driver - my extreme misses have been the opposite (tops). But with something so pretty (and expensive) and I've not had a new driver for a while, I was obsessing with the possibility of me doing something stupid. And I'm way too OCD to play a club with snow on the roof. #2, my other nightmare scenario was getting it to the range and snap hooking the heck out of it. Let's just say I'm not all that confident that results from the box (simulator) would translate to the range. As mentioned in a previous post, my misses in the simulator were hooks.

After hitting about 50 iron shots, I worked up the nerve to hit some drives....

I think the first three swings were the lightest I'd taken with a driver in years, but [insert nuclear explosion GIF]!

Feel (part 2) and Sound: It was mentioned (maybe once or twice) in the first 112 pages that people liked the sound and feel. But I was not prepared for this. I mean it sounded and felt good in the simulator, but on the range, in open air, even with rock hard range balls, the feel/sound with that head and shaft was sublime. After hitting a Titleist for so many years (983K, 905R, 913D3), I was expecting more of a hollow feel from the MAVRIK in comparison. I couldn't have been more wrong. Once I started hitting it, I didn't want to stop. Addicting! Can't wait to tee up my ProV1x's...

Performance: Probably hit 30 balls and the range of results was perfect, draws, slight hooks, and fades. Never a slice (that would have been surprising) or a big hook. I made some genuinely crappy swings and I just know with my Titleist the results would have been ugly, but was pleasantly surprised every time that the misses with the MAVRIK were MUCH smaller. This was my single biggest concern about getting a new driver. My ultimate goal was to keep dispersion at least the same no worse, and maybe more distance on the mishits. So far, the driver is just as advertised. Dispersion (the misses) were all better than I expected. Distance is hard to tell with range balls, but no doubt there's so much more distance with this driver based on how high it was hitting the net at the end of the range. Trajectory was also hard to tell, and in reality with the range balls not going to be all that telling. Again, can't wait to see my regular golf balls fly!

Overall: Definitely in the honeymoon period, but my concerns about this driver exacerbating a hook are completely debunked. My results reinforce the "spectacularly neutral" assessment! I'm optimistic that once I get to the course on Friday, dispersion will be even better than I had with my trusty Titleist and may even have a few extra yards. If that's how it manifests itself, I'll be one happy golfer! For now, I'll sleep a little better with the confidence that the driver/shaft combination could be the real deal for me.

Again, thanks everyone for your feedback. I still have 29 pages of reading left to catch up and will read them all. I'm getting on this train a little late, but happy to be aboard the MAVRIK Express!

Last edited:
New driver arrived today! 10.5 MAVRIK SZ with Graphite Design AD-IZ 6X shaft, Golfpride Tour Velvet plus6 midsize. I'm now on page 112/141, so based on everything I've read I started with the head in the -1/N setting and 2g weight forward, 14g weight back.

Appearance: I just love the look of this shaft and head combination. The orange and black color scheme just look so sweet together. The head is just looks like the perfect size and shape. Keep in mind I've been playing the Titleist 913D3 for nearly 8 years, so I'm used to something maybe a bit smaller, but this SZ is just gorgeous. It frames the ball well and inspires confidence. The carbon fiber top, like many out there these days, it beautiful. Lastly, it sits open in the current configuration which is necessary for me to not believe I'm going to hook it into Narnia.

Feel: I was a little concerned about X flex even though I'd tested this same club-shaft combination, but like the YS series of yesteryear, the Graphite Design shafts play a half flex less than advertised. The X is slightly stiffer than a S, which is a perfect feel for me. The shaft in my Titleist was the Diamana D+ white 70 in stiff, which feels at least a half a flex stiffer than advertised. Just waggling the club about felt great. The the full practice swings - my immediate thought was balanced. Not sure if that's accurate, just what I was thinking to myself. Maybe because a lighter shaft than I was using or something else, but the club felt so balanced and I could feel the head position throughout the swing. It also didn't feel as heavy as my Titleist, less effort to swing.

Haven't hit it yet.....

And honestly I had real fear about two things. #1, no control over tee height on the range and I have never in my life put snow on the roof of a driver - my extreme misses have been the opposite (tops). But with something so pretty (and expensive) and the first time I've had a new driver for a while, I was obsessing with the possibility of me doing something stupid. And I'm way too OCD to play a club with snow on the roof. #2, my other nightmare scenario was getting it to the range and snap hooking the heck out of it. Let's just say I'm not at all confident that results from the box (simulator) would translate to the range. As mentioned in a previous post, my misses in the simulator were hooks.

I think the first three swings were the lightest I'd taken with a driver in years, but [insert nuclear explosion GIF]!

Feel (part 2) and Sound: It was mentioned (maybe once or twice) in the first 112 pages that people liked the sound and feel. But I was not prepared for this. I mean it sounded and felt good in the simulator, but I on the range, in open air, even with rock hard range balls, the feel/sound with that head and shaft was sublime. After hitting a Titleist for so many years (983K, 905R, 913D3), I was expecting more of a hollow feel from the MAVRIK in comparison. I couldn't have been more wrong. Once I started hitting it, I didn't want to stop. Addicting! Can't wait to tee up my ProV1x's...

Performance: Probably hit 30 balls and the range of results was perfect, draws, slight hooks, and fades. Never a slice (that would have been surprising) or a big hook. I made some genuinely crappy swings and I just know with my Titleist the results would have been ugly, but was pleasantly surprised every time that the misses with the MAVRIK were MUCH smaller. This was my single biggest concern about getting a new driver. My ultimate goal was to keep dispersion at least the same no worse, and maybe more distance on the mishits. So far, the driver is just as advertised. Dispersion (the misses) were all better than I expected. Distance is hard to tell with range balls, but no doubt there's so much more distance with this driver based on how high it was hitting the net at the end of the range. Trajectory was also hard to tell, and in reality with the range balls not going to be all that telling. Again, can't wait to see my regular golf balls fly!

Overall: Definitely in the honeymoon period, but my concerns about this driver exacerbating a hook are completely debunked. My results reinforce the "spectacularly neutral" assessment! I'm optimistic that once I get to the course on Friday, dispersion will be even better than I had with my trusty Titleist and may even have a few extra yards. If that's how it manifests itself, I'll be one happy golfer! For now, I'll sleep a little better with the confidence that the driver/shaft combination could be the real deal for me.

Again, thanks everyone for your feedback. I still have 29 pages of reading left to catch up and will read them all. I'm getting on this train a little late, but happy to be aboard the MAVRIK Express!
Really good initial review, sounds like you hopefully have found a driver that will be good for your game. Looking forward to hearing some thoughts after you get out to play.

Mavrik Max 6/7 fairways tonight. The one I missed I just blocked right but ended up playable. Just nice long straight drives tonight.
I have been teeing the ball higher a bit and trying to hit up on it and it is really helping with bringing some spin down and picking up some distance I think. Playing 9° head at +1/N right now with the Blue Ventus.

Appearance: I just love the look of this shaft and head combination. The orange and black color scheme just look so sweet together. The head is just looks like the perfect size and shape. Keep in mind I've been playing the Titleist 913D3 for nearly 8 years, so I'm used to something maybe a bit smaller, but this SZ is just gorgeous. It frames the ball well and inspires confidence. The carbon fiber top, like many out there these days, it beautiful. Lastly, it sits open in the current configuration which is necessary for me to not believe I'm going to hook it into Narnia.

Feel: I was a little concerned about X flex even though I'd tested this same club-shaft combination, but like the YS series of yesteryear, the Graphite Design shafts play a half flex less than advertised. The X is slightly stiffer than a S, which is a perfect feel for me. The shaft in my Titleist was the Diamana D+ white 70 in stiff, which feels at least a half a flex stiffer than advertised. Just waggling the club about felt great. The the full practice swings - my immediate thought was balanced. Not sure if that's accurate, just what I was thinking to myself. Maybe because a lighter shaft than I was using or something else, but the club felt so balanced and I could feel the head position throughout the swing. It also didn't feel as heavy as my Titleist, less effort to swing.

Haven't hit it yet.....

And honestly I had real fear about two things. #1, no control over tee height on the range and I have never in my life put snow on the roof of a driver - my extreme misses have been the opposite (tops). But with something so pretty (and expensive) and the first time I've had a new driver for a while, I was obsessing with the possibility of me doing something stupid. And I'm way too OCD to play a club with snow on the roof. #2, my other nightmare scenario was getting it to the range and snap hooking the heck out of it. Let's just say I'm not at all confident that results from the box (simulator) would translate to the range. As mentioned in a previous post, my misses in the simulator were hooks.

Feel (part 2) and Sound: It was mentioned (maybe once or twice) in the first 112 pages that people liked the sound and feel. But I was not prepared for this. I mean it sounded and felt good in the simulator, but I on the range, in open air, even with rock hard range balls, the feel/sound with that head and shaft was sublime. After hitting a Titleist for so many years (983K, 905R, 913D3), I was expecting more of a hollow feel from the MAVRIK in comparison. I couldn't have been more wrong. Once I started hitting it, I didn't want to stop. Addicting! Can't wait to tee up my ProV1x's...

Awesome initial thoughts!! Can’t wait to hear more.

I started moving my ball position and tee height trying different things and subconsciously started teeing it lower than i had in the past. I think this may have resulted in more pushes to the right. Last night i put the Rogue White 130 msi back in ( i was playing the Atmos Blue TS ) and started driving the ball as well or better than ever. I also teed it up higher like i have in the past. No more rights instead a slight draw with reallly good distance. . I have been playing it at 9 degrees set to 10 degrees. I tend to be a little bit of a high ball hitter which is why i have played 9 degrees but recently started at 10 degrees draw setting. After the round i looked at the setting and noticed i had set it at plus two D without realizing it.Whats interesting is that i had a good trajectory and wasnt hitting it too high. I never would have set it plus 2 as i would have assumed i would hit it too high. Anxious to get back out and see how it goes.
I have been concentrating on teeing the ball higher and hitting up on the ball and it has helped. Gives me better center face contact and allows me to hit a little small draw when needed. Had 2 drives today that got to the 260 mark which is huge for me.
And this was the post that got me thinking about teeing it higher and going back to what i had done in the past. Thanks Snickerdog.

Welp got my Mavrik Driver from CPO on Friday and after one range session it was in the bag for the AZ THP round today. I have to say I am impressed with a club that I never tested or was fitted for just being point and shoot. Got a 9 degree standard with Riptide shaft. The sound is amazing and the ball wants to go straight. I was struggling at first with heel hits then I lined the ball up to the toe side of the chevron and boom....lovely. Replaces the Ping G410 plus that was very good for me but was just going too high and was losing distance on it. I was carrying the Mavrik I would guess 250-260. The fairways were soft at Wekopa so not much roll unless I unleashed the low flights for a couple of holes that the ball went 280-290 total.

20200921_221931.jpg

I just want to post this here, because I think it'll be the pinnacle for me (today already dropped me back down 4%, ****'s kind of impossible to maintain), I want to be able to find it someday when I can no longer hit a fairway, and because I do believe the Mavrik Sub Zero is a very big part of it. I hit some others after my round today for the first time in a while, against my own, on a monitor. There really wasn't even a close comparison among them. Second.To.NONE. Thank you Callaway.

I posted a thread about how I cracked my Epic Flash Sub Zero and a lot of people on here suggested I contact callaway. I did and they sent me a new Mavrik Sub Zero. I got it today, put my regular shaft (ventus black 7x) into it and took it to the driving range. I normally hit a fade (that can border on a slice sometimes). I was surprised to see for my first 10 swings after warming up that left (bordering on a duck hook) was coming into play which I can’t say I loved. But I will say the forgiveness was more pronounced versus the Epic Flash Sub Zero which I liked to see. I did play around with the weights but didn’t see much difference with range balls. I am playing 18 on Saturday and Sunday at two courses I play frequently so I will be able to comment on distance, dispersion with ProV1X and if I see the ball going left. It didn’t take me long to see the difference between my old driver and the epic flash sub zero but I think it might take me a bit to see if there’s a difference since there’s so much similarity with the epic flash sub zero and the mavrik sub zero.

Man, it's been almost two weeks since I last played. I am jonesing for some Mavrik time. Worst part is the weather has been super nice the last week or so and the season is wrapping up quickly. I will make a point of getting out this weekend.

Back