Can a Name Make or Break a Product?

Absolutely, if it's good it could sell just on name alone, and if the naming is horrible but still performs you have to get people to try it and see that before they buy.

I’m not sure. If Ei12ei0 doesn’t scare someone off, why would a name?

But I long for the creative we had decades ago.

Quality of the product trumps good or bad name!

Quality of the product trumps good or bad name!
Perhaps that’s true. I would say the average golfer tests 2-3 drivers before buying. Name or branding has to play a role in what they bring to the bay, right?

I always thought I hate numbered clubs that go out of order but after reading this thread it turns out that I just think number based club lines are stupid versus ones with names.

Names can definitely hamper any product, but sometimes a questionable name can become accepted if the product is good enough.

Those that have followed over the years know that I prefer clubs to have names rather than alpha numeric. I think it shows a level of creativity and can be fun.

Do you think a name could make or break a product?

Maybe not ‘make or break’ because if the performance isn’t there it won’t matter what it’s called. But the new Callaway driver is a good example. ‘B21’ is okay. But when you add ‘Big Bertha’ to it, now you are tapping into great memories tons of folks have of those original drivers.

Perhaps that’s true. I would say the average golfer tests 2-3 drivers before buying. Name or branding has to play a role in what they bring to the bay, right?

I agree to an extent. Personally I’m probably only giving the big boys a look (Callaway, Cobra, Titleist, TM, Ping) unless the tech story on something else blows me away.

The name of the line from those OEM’s is much less important imo because of their track records.

I think the name matters

Poorly chosen names can hurt. A recent line I never even considered was the Zero Friction Golf Glove. I need that friction at the glove/grip interface.

can probably hurt it, maybe help it but usually not make or break it... although... Chevy made a huge mistake using the Nova name in Spanish-speaking countries ("no va" translates to "it doesn't go"), so if you named something a phrase that accidentally translates to "hits like crap" or "nothing but shanks" in another language, then yes, the name could break it. :D

Man, I just don’t know. I don’t think it’s as big of a killer for most people anymore, but it’s definitely plays an initial acceptance role.

no, I don't think so

do you think when companies use letters or numbers that is good or bad? Like Pings G25, G400 etc

I just don't think a name matters.

At the Grandaddy roundtable it was discussed just how hard it is to name a new product. Finley mentioned that a lot of names are trademarked by a company that may have nothing to do with golf. Name and color scheme may be as much work as r&d. I think that a bad name can hinder a product but I am not sure if it can ruin a product.

I'm remembering back in the day when Bridgestone offered the Laddie and Lassie balls. The latter was supposed to be a great ball, but I imagine not many male golfers played them.

I like alpha numeric nomenclature. I'm a nerdy, geeky type. But I believe JB is likely on track for what works best overall with names. When someone asks what irons I play and I reply with mp-18 mmc, they look at me with blank eyes. I say Mizuno, and they go oh, they make good irons. The model just disappears into a brand envelope. I don't know if names are more innovative per se, but distinct names are far easier to remember and associate with a line of clubs. Picking a name that represents the clubs would certainly take creativity and understanding the audience.

Killer Whale
Hammer
Big Mac Old McGregor Driver

I think it can.

I think some names be it a word or numbers can make a product get lost in the shuffle IF it doesn't have the marketing behind it. Rocketballz was a bad name, but that 3 wood sure did freaking sell. I thought Epic was a bad name, but similar to Rocketballz, it had the power of tech/performance and strong marketing behind it.

There wouldn’t be marketing departments of marketing didn’t work. So I believe that a bad name can hinder a product launch

Name I think might not help it, but it could hurt. I hate numbers and prefer they aren't used but don't really know if they would deter me from trying the club out.

I fixed 3 broken trusses yesterday, so if they were going for stability with that one, near miss. :LOL:

A name can encourage interest and or kill it. It matters.

Last edited:
Absofreakinglutely it can make or break. I always wondered how many different names they go through before settling on the one they choose.

I think the perception of the company plays a bigger role than the name of the product. When a company is hot, it seems like it can name most anything whatever and the consumer still lines up. If the company is not hot, product branding becomes more important.

I mean it could...depends how far a brand pushes the bar or a lack of creativity!

Not if the name is simple, what appears to be clever marketing can be bewildering to a knucklehead like me.

I think it matters to an extent. I think callaway missed the mark with the ERC. I know its a tribute to Ely, but such a badass ball should have a badass name.

I remember DB TT talking about the Booya shaft from years ago too. Same deal.

I think the name matters just like color scheme. Initial attraction is important.

Back