New England Members

I played Woodstock Country Club in Woodstock VT. It is a quirky, tight course that was fun enough but I didn’t think it was worth the money they get for it. I picked it because my son was driving down from Burlington, VT and I was driving up from MetroWest MA. Next time I will look for a different course.

Woodstock is a nice course but I agree it is not worth the published rate. I try to play it when I find a deal on GolfNow, that's about it. If you are a Links Card holder, Green Mountain National, Barre Country Club, and Rutland CC are all good spots that can be played to much better prices than Woodstock. Woodstock and Quechee Lakes cater specifically to a certain upscale set of tourists and locals, and their rates are very high. Woodstock used to have better deals on GolfNow, but the last coupl years they have not offered up much. I've only played there once this season, where I have played more often in previous years.

My top recommendation halfway between you and Burlington, is Montcalm Golf Club across from Whaleback Mtn., right off I-89. Very easy access. If you are a Golf and Ski All Star Rewards card holder, you can play 18 with cart for $70 weekdays and $75 weekends after 11am. The course and views are top notch, great conditioning, and well worth the $70. It was a private course, but now has gone semi-private to create more traffic.

Woodstock is a nice course but I agree it is not worth the published rate. I try to play it when I find a deal on GolfNow, that's about it. If you are a Links Card holder, Green Mountain National, Barre Country Club, and Rutland CC are all good spots that can be played to much better prices than Woodstock. Woodstock and Quechee Lakes cater specifically to a certain upscale set of tourists and locals, and their rates are very high. Woodstock used to have better deals on GolfNow, but the last coupl years they have not offered up much. I've only played there once this season, where I have played more often in previous years.

My top recommendation halfway between you and Burlington, is Montcalm Golf Club across from Whaleback Mtn., right off I-89. Very easy access. If you are a Golf and Ski All Star Rewards card holder, you can play 18 with cart for $70 weekdays and $75 weekends after 11am. The course and views are top notch, great conditioning, and well worth the $70. It was a private course, but now has gone semi-private to create more traffic.

I wish I had known about Montcalm. I just joined the Golf and Ski rewards and will try to do that next time.

I wish I had known about Montcalm. I just joined the Golf and Ski rewards and will try to do that next time.

Montcalm is a gem. Secluded on top of a mountain, fantastic topography and challenging layout. Green complexes are sweet. No houses in sight - just pure golf.

If you are ever in this neck of the woods and need a playing partner, I love playing with THP'ers. I am Lebanon based and typically play anywhere within 90 minutes.

Montcalm live feed - birdie looks on the 1st 😀

060AD2A8-3404-493C-BF8F-B38A34FD3771.jpeg

Montcalm is a gem. Secluded on top of a mountain, fantastic topography and challenging layout. Green complexes are sweet. No houses in sight - just pure golf.

If you are ever in this neck of the woods and need a playing partner, I love playing with THP'ers. I am Lebanon based and typically play anywhere within 90 minutes.

I have it on good authority that you're willing to drive further than 90 minutes....

I have it on good authority that you're willing to drive further than 90 minutes....

I'm a fan of atypically good golf opportunities. Playing with THP'ers qualifies for extra travel.

Always fun to play with Fellow THP'ers and to play in VT

@OITW sooo a New England gathering is happening? I’d really like to join if transplants are permissible :)

I drive it like 280.

11th Par 5 488yds - A strong tee shot will crest the fairway hill and rollout to the final approach, leaving 180-150yds for those who dare to approach in two. Those who risk may be rewarded.

591BEBC6-B70A-4486-9DC5-5C4901C1609E.jpeg

I just booked a 1:18pm tee time for Sunday 9/20 at Green Mountain National near Killington. At this instant there are three other spots open if anyone wants to link up.

Holy crap. I just learned that a course I worked grounds crew on 20 years ago is a Seth Raynor design, the only one in Massachusetts. Any of you ever played Dedham Country and Polo Club? The video below is amazing.

I mowed greens by hand in the morning, a route of 5 completed by 7am and then hopped on a top of the line Ransomes 4wd rough mower for the rest of the day. That mower was an absolute brute, Rolls Royce smooth and power for days. Five floating hydraulic driven rotary heads, and would climb anything. I was able to play once or twice a week after work that summer, it was a treat at the time but I had absolutely no idea the architectural significance.

EHNX6jrX4AA9gcK

EHNX6jrWsAAN6Mh

EHNX6jrX0AEHjmh

EHNX6jsXYAADIhv

Very nice! It looks a lot like the Yale golf course which was a joint project of Seth Raynor and Charles Macdonald

Very nice! It looks a lot like the Yale golf course which was a joint project of Seth Raynor and Charles Macdonald

I would really like to play Yale someday, and to revisit DCPC. Those pictures and video are killing me!

That is a gorgeous looking course

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Green Mountain National yesterday... course was in nice shape and leaves are starting to turn.

73DD92A6-2B38-4163-B184-1953AD174421.jpegEF577F36-1C78-46F3-893A-00364FACA055.jpegC3B4153C-AF15-4A90-8769-A7DBF2FAAFE7.jpeg

Played Midville Golf Club yesterday, nice relaxing 9 hole layout in RI. Always liked this huge tree in middle of fairway in #1, it just eats up tee shots. :)

midville 1.jpg

midville2.jpg

Last edited:
Played Atkinson yesterday. It had been awhile. Greens were tight and fast. I also had poor course management and when into the water in front of one green that I forgot was there and a ravine on some other hole, maybe the 15th that I remembered and tried to lay up but still put it to far. I should have just gone for green instead of using a 9 to layup. Had a birdie on a par 3 the tee shot was a foot away from hole so chances of missing the putt were only 25% or so and had 6 pars, including 3 in a row on front 9. But the penalties and other poor putting hurt

Back