Golfers Elbow - Best Elbow Braces

jvbart

2022 Quest Cup with Edel Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been struggling with golfers elbow in my right arm for awhile now and am looking for a good elbow brace. I was wondering if anyone here uses one and can recommend a brand and style that help? I already have copper compression sleeves for recovery so I'm really looking for something to wear when I play to help reduce stress on the tendon.

If anyone has any other treatment suggestions I'm all ears! I ice and rest as often as I can and am really hoping to avoid having to take 6 weeks off golf to let it heal. I'm trying to find a set of irons with graphite shafts as I have heard that helps but am open to any other suggestions.

I contemplated it, but ended up doing some other things and haven’t had an issue since.

First, Theragun mini has been a game changer for me. Second, I switched to graphite.

I went through a couple of weeks of this about a month ago. I used KT tape and this brace:

I have some serious tendinitis in both elbows. It definitely gets exasperated by playing golf, and for me squatting. Neither of which I'll stop doing. I haven't tried a compression sleeve but I will tell you what is seemed to help. I bought one of those grip trainers, mine has a dial that you can adjust the tension. When I'm sitting at my desk I grab it several times a day and do each hand until my forearms are on fire. It has seemed to reduce the pain for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Like @JB said, I was able to cut my tennis elbow with a combination of Recoil shafts and a Theragun Mini. I use the theragun for about 30 seconds to a minute on my forearm and triceps twice a day. But the biggest improvement was the switch to graphite and making sure I am not always hitting off mats, especially thin one over concrete. Totally solved my issues, which got pretty bad about a year ago.

I tried some braces and didn’t really find one that worked particularly well. That said, simple compression sleeves from amazon were as good as anything I found locally, and way cheaper.

I contemplated it, but ended up doing some other things and haven’t had an issue since.

First, Theragun mini has been a game changer for me. Second, I switched to graphite.
I hadn't even thought of the theragun but reading through that thread now and it sounds like I need to add that to the recovery arsenal. I have some chronic neck pain from my rugby days too that could definitely use something better than a baseball.

I have some serious tendinitis in both elbows. It definitely gets exasperated by playing golf, and for me squatting. Neither of which I'll stop doing. I haven't tried a compression sleeve but I will tell you what is seemed to help. I bought one of those grip trainers, mine has a dial that you can adjust the tension. When I'm sitting at my desk I grab it several times a day and do each hand until my forearms are on fire. It has seemed to reduce the pain for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I originally got the elbow problems from continuing to lift heavy when I first got serious about golf. I was going to the range way too much and refused to stop lifting and just kept making it worse. I noticed it from heavy squats as well. I have had some relief from using the theraband flexbar that I saw recommended on this thread. Similar idea really gets the forearms firing.

I went through a couple of weeks of this about a month ago. I used KT tape and this brace:

Thanks for the share, did you find the brace helped while playing? That looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

Like @JB said, I was able to cut my tennis elbow with a combination of Recoil shafts and a Theragun Mini. I use the theragun for about 30 seconds to a minute on my forearm and triceps twice a day. But the biggest improvement was the switch to graphite and making sure I am not always hitting off mats, especially thin one over concrete. Totally solved my issues, which got pretty bad about a year ago.

I tried some braces and didn’t really find one that worked particularly well. That said, simple compression sleeves from amazon were as good as anything I found locally, and way cheaper.
I'm definitely noticing a small difference from the compression sleeves too.

My tendonitis first started from hitting off the same kind of thin mats on concrete 3 times a week. doesn't help that I have high swing speed and a serious problem with leaving my weight on my back foot and driving the club into the turf. I will NEVER hit off those kind of mats again.

I have been planning to switch to graphite for awhile now but it sounds like I just need to pull the trigger. Everyone seems to get complete relief when they make the switch over.

Go get a Copper Fit arm sleeve and wear while you play. I use it and haven't had issue since I started.

When I was young I had golfer's elbow in my right arm and the only thing that helped was rest. I don't know if you live in a winter environment, but that would be a great time to get some physical therapy and rest of the elbow. Have you ever went to a swing coach and checked out your swing to see if you were doing something wrong to cause it? I don't know your skill level, and don't mean to be insulting, thanks.

Go get a Copper Fit arm sleeve and wear while you play. I use it and haven't had issue since I started.
That's what I'm using now but was hoping to find something with a little more compression for when I play. I didn't wear mine when I played yesterday and today is the worst my elbow has been in months, so stupid of me.

When I was young I had golfer's elbow in my right arm and the only thing that helped was rest. I don't know if you live in a winter environment, but that would be a great time to get some physical therapy and rest of the elbow. Have you ever went to a swing coach and checked out your swing to see if you were doing something wrong to cause it? I don't know your skill level, and don't mean to be insulting, thanks.
I'm in San Diego so there is not much of an off-season. Unfortunately I think I may need to take a month off at some point in the near future so I can just get past it.

I have never had a lesson but am ready to get a coach. I need one for my game but also to help me work on developing a healthier swing. The only reason I haven't started lessons yet us I can't really swing a lot on the range without aggravating my elbow. Once I get a coach I really want to be able to work on my game daily so I was planning to wait until my elbow is better. I think you're right though, I may need an initial lesson just to find a fix for whatever is causing the injury.

I fight it, and I'd quit golf before lifting, so let's just say neither one is going to happen. I rotate a couple different braces (whatever is comfortable and stays in place), but I don't like wearing them when I'm golfing, so I usually do while I'm doing the other things that piss it off (running a gun, swinging a hammer, etc). I stretch and exercise religiously to help it, and get regular bodywork. I also cryosleeve (Recoup and another I can't read the label on anymore) whenever possible after a round or if I've been roofing or something. That really helps me recover a little faster. I didn't swing today, but lifted, and I'm wearing a cold sleeve at this very moment. Mine's not going to go away unless I just stop my life for a while, so I just try to keep it bearable. I travel with a cryosleeve.

I fight it, and I'd quit golf before lifting, so let's just say neither one is going to happen. I rotate a couple different braces (whatever is comfortable and stays in place), but I don't like wearing them when I'm golfing, so I usually do while I'm doing the other things that piss it off (running a gun, swinging a hammer, etc). I stretch and exercise religiously to help it, and get regular bodywork. I also cryosleeve (Recoup and another I can't read the label on anymore) whenever possible after a round or if I've been roofing or something. That really helps me recover a little faster.
I've switched from power lifting to more cardio and some lighter weights to try and help it and it's definitely not a sustainable solution. I've been working hard in the gym for 20 years and can't stand to lose much more strength. I'll have to check out the cryo sleeve, I ice and stretch at least twice a day but icing the elbow can be pretty awkward if I don't have the ice wrapped into place.

I'm in San Diego so there is not much of an off-season. Unfortunately I think I may need to take a month off at some point in the near future so I can just get past it.

I have never had a lesson but am ready to get a coach. I need one for my game but also to help me work on developing a healthier swing. The only reason I haven't started lessons yet us I can't really swing a lot on the range without aggravating my elbow. Once I get a coach I really want to be able to work on my game daily so I was planning to wait until my elbow is better. I think you're right though, I may need an initial lesson just to find a fix for whatever is causing the injury.
When I had my golfer's elbow, it was my swing that was doing it to me. I was really hard on my elbow with the type of Swing I was using. I took a couple years off the game though, I don't think you want to do that , but the time did heal my elbow. I have never had an issue with my elbow again for 30 years or so now. What makes me think about your swing is the idea that the professional golfers hit so many balls day after day, and for the most part, they don't have golfer's elbow. It's got to be some herky-jerky motion in your swing that just jerks on the elbow each time.

When I had my golfer's elbow, it was my swing that was doing it to me. I was really hard on my elbow with the type of Swing I was using. I took a couple years off the game though, I don't think you want to do that , but the time did heal my elbow. I have never had an issue with my elbow again for 30 years or so now. What makes me think about your swing is the idea that the professional golfers hit so many balls day after day, and for the most part, they don't have golfer's elbow. It's got to be some herky-jerky motion in your swing that just jerks on the elbow each time.
I think it definitely started from my swing, I don't know enough about swing mechanics to pin point it but I know my miss usually comes from leaving my weight on my back foot and I tend to get chunky and hit down into the ground when I do that.

I've switched from power lifting to more cardio and some lighter weights to try and help it and it's definitely not a sustainable solution. I've been working hard in the gym for 20 years and can't stand to lose much more strength. I'll have to check out the cryo sleeve, I ice and stretch at least twice a day but icing the elbow can be pretty awkward if I don't have the ice wrapped into place.
Oh man. Maybe it's because I was a pitcher, and got pretty used to icing, but I go a few days without the cryo or another cold sleeve after playing, and it gets bad. I lose hand strength. Like I said, I'm wearing one right now. They are a staple in my house, travel bag/cooler, job trailer fridge, wherever. They're a lifesaver. I'll make a convenient store ice bag wrap in a desperate situation, but those sleeves are so convenient. The cryo is kind of pricey but lasts longer than some others. You can get a good cold pack compression sleeve for about $30 though. I have a couple cheap ones I throw in a cooler sometimes so I can slide it on as I'm driving away. The quicker I get ahead of the pain and related swelling (i get the lateral side too), the better. I also take a lot more care than I used to warming up my hands and forearms before a round.

Last edited:
I think it definitely started from my swing, I don't know enough about swing mechanics to pin point it but I know my miss usually comes from leaving my weight on my back foot and I tend to get chunky and hit down into the ground when I do that.
For me it was aggravated by early release/hitting fat, the impact on my elbow was brutal, which is why hitting off thin mats aggravated it. working on getting through the ball really helped as well, but honestly after switching to graphite my pain was gone in about a month. I have not lost anything in performance, and in fact think it has increased.

I had issues with my left elbow about 25 years ago... switched to graphite shafts.

Go to your chiropractor!

Seriously.

I had horrible golfers elbow during MC 2.0 and had him look at it after. He popped it and I have not had an issue in going on 9 years.

He told me he wished that I would have told him after it hurt for a couple weeks. It would have saved me two months of pain.

I did some forearm exercises and switched to graphite in everything but wedges -- and I installed Nippon Steel in the wedges - the only steel shaft that helped with tennis elbow - the ONLY one. I tried them all over the years.

Have to be very cognizant of my ulnar nerves in both elbows. Gel ice packs are nice. I get into bad positions sleeping with my elbows bent trying to support my head and neck due to car accident. I have Steelfibers, and also would like to try Recoil Protos.
Sounds like I need a sleeve of some sort. I have a brace to the tennis elbow, but find it unconfortable on the follow through. "Band-It" it's called.
Champions Tour guys used to wear them, so thought I'd give it a go a long time ago already. Swinging on concrete also a problem child for me.

Back