Trying to Break 80 Club

Got out to play 9 holes this evening and ended up shooting a two under 34 which is a career low for any nine. Summary of the round:

1 eagle, 1 birdie, 6 pars, 1 bogey
0 fairways lol
6 GIR (8 if you include fringes)
14 putts
Great nine!!!

Still struggling with mistakes on the rounds I’m playing well. Had my best front 9 on Thursday only to go 8 over on the back for an 82. Topped 4 short chips and messed up some easy par 3 tee shots. Game is improving but my mental game seems stuck.

I had an 83 the other day with a nine on the first hole. I got to give myself credit for not quitting after the 9 but it's still pushed me over the 80 mark . It was a par five and if I parred it I would have shot 79. It's always something.

Still struggling with mistakes on the rounds I’m playing well. Had my best front 9 on Thursday only to go 8 over on the back for an 82. Topped 4 short chips and messed up some easy par 3 tee shots. Game is improving but my mental game seems stuck.
Are you focusing to much on score and that goal of breaking 80?

Not really sure. I think the mistakes happen due to lack of focus at times. Like lifting my head before contact. Not really sure on the Par 3 struggles. It’s improved lately and could be due to trying to hard to hit the perfect shot.

I know that when I stopped focusing on scores needed, I started playing more relaxed and scoring improved.

Lately, those little 25 - 50 yarders are my nemesis. Too eager to see the result so head jerks up resulting in all kinds of miss hits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not really sure. I think the mistakes happen due to lack of focus at times. Like lifting my head before contact. Not really sure on the Par 3 struggles. It’s improved lately and could be due to trying to hard to hit the perfect shot.
I know that feeling and worst thing that can happen. Let the rotation take the head around.

I generally don't add up my score until the end of the round. Today I added it up right after playing 17...there was a bit of a wait on 18...and realized I needed a bogey to shoot a 79 (middle tees today), and 18 is the toughest hole on the course. To be honest, I could feel a bit more pressure.

I know that feeling and worst thing that can happen. Let the rotation take the head around.
Did it 4 times on the back 9. Beck to back in different holes.

Like lifting my head before contact.
Go to the range and hit like 100 balls with a a wedge, don't worry about distance just keep your head down and hit balls. It will become secondhand to you.

Go to the range and hit like 100 balls with a a wedge, don't worry about distance just keep your head down and hit balls. It will become secondhand to you.
I got good at it through practice daily with the Planemate. Then didn’t use it for a couple weeks. Just came in from doing that workout and some swing drills. Oh and I may have rolled about 50 putts with the Rossie.

I have to believe this is the best approach, mixed with the right technique, practice practice practice.

38/40=78 today. That gives me all scores to HC purposes under 80.

Stinking double on my last hole today caused me to vlow a sub 80 round and the worst part is I hit a good drive that missed the fairway by maybe 2-3 yards and we never found the ball in foot deep rough. I was angry and blew the chance to save bogie.

This is solid. That's a good way to get the handicap to drop. 4/8 are sub 80 for me.

A statement I look forward to making some day.

I guess first step would be to get one under 80, lol

A statement I look forward to making some day.

I guess first step would be to get one under 80, lol
You will get there, took me a long time. I still throw up some horrendous rounds though.

Rough start today, par followed by 4 doubles. Righted the ship on the par 3 6th and finished the nine @ 44. Played well on the back for a 40 to gives total of 84.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hit a milestone with my 76 on Friday. Not only was the front 9 my lowest 9 ever at 33 ( -3 ) but with that round, GHIN now only has rounds in the 70's counting to my handicap. 76, 78, 76, 77, 79, 79, 74, 77.

Hit a milestone with my 76 on Friday. Not only was the front 9 my lowest 9 ever at 33 ( -3 ) but with that round, GHIN now only has rounds in the 70's counting to my handicap. 76, 78, 76, 77, 79, 79, 74, 77.
That is awesome!!!! Great job.

This season I’ve shot 80 7 times. I haven’t broken 80 since I was about 26-27. I’m now 46, but to be fair I gave the game up from 28 to 41. Took me almost a full season to break 90. Just need to keep going. Playing off 13.3 now though.
You will do it, just a matter of another putt falling or hitting another GIR

This season I’ve shot 80 7 times. I haven’t broken 80 since I was about 26-27. I’m now 46, but to be fair I gave the game up from 28 to 41. Took me almost a full season to break 90. Just need to keep going. Playing off 13.3 now though.
Well the good news is that for you to hit it and not get past it 7 times, a bunch of things have probably gone just wrong enough to hold you there. Odds are way better of that than you playing to your MAX potential 7 times. So you just need to plug away and catch a break here or there or make one less mistake and it's gonna happen. (y)

Back