Orlando non-resort courses

Just_Hacking

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Looking to play a round in or around Orlando on Thursday the 22nd of October after 12:00 and I am looking for suggestions on courses. We are just passing through on our way down to play PGA National the next day. It won't be a stay and play type situation so we need a non-resort course. Celebration and Shingle Creek are already on the radar, but hoping to get some input on some other nice tracks that won't break that bank.

You can always try Orange County National...they have two good tracks there.

You can always try Orange County National...they have two good tracks there.

Thanks! I thought about those and I enjoyed playing there during the Love is in the Air event, but really want to play somewhere new. I have played the New Course at Grand Cypress as well.

Looking to play a round in or around Orlando on Thursday the 22nd of October after 12:00 and I am looking for suggestions on courses. We are just passing through on our way down to play PGA National the next day. It won't be a stay and play type situation so we need a non-resort course. Celebration and Shingle Creek are already on the radar, but hoping to get some input on some other nice tracks that won't break that bank.

Bit limited if you don’t want resort style. You said the good course there in Shingle Creek. Love that track. Celebration is also good, but check the rain coming up cause it doesn’t drain well.

Championsgate is kinda resorty. ChampionsGate country club however is around the corner from it, and only shares the name due to location. That is not resort style at all.

Bit limited if you don’t want resort style. You said the good course there in Shingle Creek. Love that track. Celebration is also good, but check the rain coming up cause it doesn’t drain well.

Championsgate is kinda resorty. ChampionsGate country club however is around the corner from it, and only shares the name due to location. That is not resort style at all.

I would really like to play Reunion, but I think that you have to stay on property there so that is out as is course that requires an over night stay is out. :( There several of the resort courses we would consider if we could get on them without lodging on property.

I hadn't heard that about the draining issue on Celebration so that is good to know. Thanks!!

Every played Eagle Creek?

Thanks! I thought about those and I enjoyed playing there during the Love is in the Air event, but really want to play somewhere new. I have played the New Course at Grand Cypress as well.
Thats right. I couldnt remember if you were there or not. @McLovin could provide some recommendations.

Just avoid Metro West Golf Club - worse decision I've ever made in ORL!

bella collina

championsgate country club

royal st cloud

falcon's fire

red tail golf club

eagle dunes golf club

of all those, i'd say bella collina first (not cheap), followed by championsgate country club and then eagle dunes golf club.

Just avoid Metro West Golf Club - worse decision I've ever made in ORL!

affectionately known as metro worst. it's an embarrassment.

bella collina

championsgate country club

royal st cloud

falcon's fire

red tail golf club

eagle dunes golf club

of all those, i'd say bella collina first (not cheap), followed by championsgate country club and then eagle dunes golf club.

I will check these out! Thanks for the suggestions!!

I would really like to play Reunion, but I think that you have to stay on property there so that is out as is course that requires an over night stay is out. :( There several of the resort courses we would consider if we could get on them without lodging on property.

I hadn't heard that about the draining issue on Celebration so that is good to know. Thanks!!

Every played Eagle Creek?

I have, yes. Wasn't a favorite when course conditions got rough, not to mention, isn't near a whole lot all things considered.

eagle creek used to be my go-to. fun layout, not terribly challenging, and usually in really good shape. but then things took a turn after we had some bad storms a few years ago, and to me the course never fully recovered. i haven't been back recently, but if you can catch it in good shape i would highly recommend it.

Bella Collina would be on my short list. A little out of the way from Orlando metro.

Have you played Mission Inn El Campeon? North of Otown but awesome course.

Magnolia at Disney is cool, former tour stop.

Both courses at Mission Inn are great. El Campeon is a historic course... one of the oldest in FL. You don't have to be staying at Disney to play their courses and all 3 of the 18 hole courses are great. Personally, I like the Magnolia the best.

w

What happened? Used to be a nice track.

it has some really great bones. could be a fun and somewhat challenging track if they'd put money into it. right now the greens are full of disease, the fairways are mostly weeds, there's dirt and weeds in the bunkers, and huge ant piles everywhere. it's a disaster.

it has some really great bones. could be a fun and somewhat challenging track if they'd put money into it. right now the greens are full of disease, the fairways are mostly weeds, there's dirt and weeds in the bunkers, and huge ant piles everywhere. it's a disaster.

not to highjack mr Just_Hacking's thread, I lived in Metro from 90-2001 and had been a solid track.

If Bella Collina were an option, I would also second that. If the spa is open (and it may be) then you could set the Mrs up with that while you play a pretty fun track there JH. It's maybe 30min north-northwest of the Buena Vista area. I just figured on the drive down, it was slightly out of the way. I do love that course something serious though, it's a great test. That clubhouse though.. Oh man.

We Played Providence Golf Club on Sunday and it is in beautiful condition save for a couple of wet spots, around $45 depending on the time of day. If the rain gets over with I agree Celebration is a great but somewhat odd layout to me and they are proud of it price wise.

We Played Providence Golf Club on Sunday and it is in beautiful condition save for a couple of wet spots, around $45 depending on the time of day. If the rain gets over with I agree Celebration is a great but somewhat odd layout to me and they are proud of it price wise.

celebration is a course you have to play a few times to get used to the layout. i've played it more than few times and i still am not used to the layout haha

celebration is a course you have to play a few times to get used to the layout. i've played it more than few times and i still am not used to the layout haha

I agree, it is just odd in spots and even from shorter tees hard to score on. Looks like i am going to try a couple of lesson out there with NIck and try to get a handle on things. So I maybe playing it more in the near future.

Right now I think the leaders in the clubhouse at Championsgate CC, Celebration (weather dependent), Bella Collina and Disney Magnolia. Mission Hills could make it back into the mix. I looked at the Ritz and the Waldorf courses since you can actually play them without being a guest of the hotel, but didn't like the prices.

Although I have played Hammock Beach (and it isn't in Orlando of course) if I could somehow get is on there I would definitely play that again.

My parents have a timeshare in Orlando so I go down there almost every year as a tourist.

Bella Collina is awesome if you can get on I thought it went private. The clubhouse is freakin crazy.
Orange County National is my go to.
I love playing Grand Cypress - New Course.
I have had great times at Celebration although as people mentioned there are some tricky holes
Ritz is one of my favorites.
Mission Inn El Campeon is great
Championsgate is good

I would skip the Magnolia course. Reason: It's wet outside. The course seemingly is always CPO when that happens, and you'd just be torturing yourself.

I would skip the Magnolia course. Reason: It's wet outside. The course seemingly is always CPO when that happens, and you'd just be torturing yourself.

Great info!! Thanks as it was moving up to the list. I don't want to take a chance on it being muddy.

Back