What is the windiest you have ever played in?

We have a 550 yard par 5 on my home course that plays directly into the north wind during the winter/ early spring. If it's blowing good, that hole feels like it plays 700+ yards.

Played in 30 mph sustained with gusts pushing 50 mph in a high school match many, many years ago.

I played in 30+ mph winds in Fargo ND and Lincoln NE. Not a lot of fun.
Well the wind does blow in Nebraska...
It was blowing 35+ today and I thought to myself, no, absolutely not, no way am I going to the golf course..
I’ll be honest I don’t even like to go out there if it’s over 10!

The three days I played last week were all very windy day with Wednesday being a little less so. Friday, the winds were 25-30 mph out of the WSW. The course layout is east to west. There were only three holes where the wind was at our back. Had one of the best days of my year shooting an 81. :)

It's pretty much a steady 20-30 all summer in KS, so I've gotten used to playing in the wind. Worst was a four man scramble on a day with gusts in excess of 50mph. Relatively easy course and the winning score was only 2 under.

Playing links golf on the east coast of Scotland, things can get a bit tricky, although I couldn't tell you exactly the speeds of anything. At Royal Aberdeen, there is a par 3 on the top of a hill down into a little bowl green that plays 210 or so but because it's downhill plays quite a lot less. Depending on the wind I've been both over the back with a 9 iron, and not even reached the green with a full blooded driver - both lost balls. When the wind really gets up, the course is almost unplayable for us mere mortals.

I played on base one day at Roosevelt Roads with our usual crowd and the wind was so brutal the coconuts were dropping from the trees like rain drops, and it was a free drop if our balls landed any where's near one of them. Our balls would take off by them selves on the putting greens and just keep on rolling. Bunkers shots into the wind would sand blast your face. Even the birds were hunkered down in the bamboo stands.

It was just one of those fun days that was especially nice because the humidity was extremely low (for Puerto Rico anyways) and it felt great to be outside not wiping yourself down every 2-3 minutes.

We played 36 holes that day and the beers were more important than our scores.

Last edited:
I don't know how strong it was, but I played a course not too far from me one day in the wind and I flushed a 5i (usually about my 190yd club) that didn't reach the green 140yds away

Also played a par 3 on another course with the wind blowing so strong across that you had to aim about 30yds away from the green over the water to have a chance of hitting it - don't think anyone out of 16-20 of us managed to hit the green as you couldn't bring yourself to deliberately aim so far over the water for the wind to bring it back

25 mph with gusts up to 30-35 in recent memory. Also played in a high school tournament back in the day with gusts up to 40. I vividly remember laughing on the tee with my playing partners because it was directly in our faces on one particular hole, and we couldn’t do anything but hit driver maybe 100 yards. It was comical, nothing to do but laugh and grind on.

Windiest might well have been a freak mid 70s Jan day that was sandwiched between a couple bitter cold snow and ice events. Winds were a steady 45mph+ from the south and gusting higher. I was so surprised by just how much difference that much wind made in my tee shots (100+ yards tailwind vs headwind) that I posted the thread below on THP.

(snippet from my opening paragraph: "...driver shots on holes 3, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10 alternated between directly downwind and directly into that wind and it made a 100+ yard difference in total distance. 287, 183, 303, 178, 291, 202 (293.7 versus 187.7 on average) This on a flat portion of the golf course with very similar contact and ball flights...)

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/index.php?threads/100-yard-winds-would-you-play.92179/

Play a V1x downwind and a TourB RX into it? One ball rule is generally for (???????) but to play by the rules you have to play the same ball the entire hole. Don’t know nor care on lost ball rule, it’s fall in OH, you will lose f’ing balls. Drop whatever you like.

Rare occasions (big tournaments) will invoke a true one ball rule. You have to start the tournament with the same exact type of ball you start. When I played in the county tournament it was under a true one ball rule. I can’t compete in the open division anymore and I know the cheats in the HC divisions (need a gross 62 to even sniff competing), it’s not worth it. I’d fair better in open than 1st flight (0-10hc) the one and only time I played it HC’d.

It lost its appeal once I couldn’t hang heads up.

I played out here during a Santa Ana wind event one November. Sustained wind at 45mph with gusts of 70+ through the canyon. The guy in the pro shop let us go out for free on account of the wind, citing that we "wouldn't have any fun."

Boy, was he wrong. It was an absolute blast! You couldn't place a ball on the green without it blowing off, so we would approximate where the ball landed and hold it up with our putters and just sort of shove it toward the hole.

I recall on the 6th hole, a 212 yard par 3 over a barranca, i made the putt of my life! it was a heavy cross wind, so I aimed about 75 yards to the right and let it rip. My ball landed on the green, but blew off the left side very quickly. It lied in short enough grass on the fringe/edge to putt it toward the hole, into a dead wind. I grabbed my putter and smashed it. I was wayyy off... The ball scurried about 15 ft past the hole. All I could do was laugh as the wind quickly turned it around and zipped it right back into the hole for a birdie.

Lots of beers were had, and it was a time I'll never forget.

I've had rounds where I shot an 84 in severe winds that would have been a 64 in calm conditions, and loved every minute of it. :love:
Probably touching 40MPH is where the real comedy starts. (y):ROFLMAO:

((We saw recently in golf news: watch for falling trees!!!)) :confused:

Play a V1x downwind and a TourB RX into it? One ball rule is generally for (???????) but to play by the rules you have to play the same ball the entire hole. Don’t know nor care on lost ball rule, it’s fall in OH, you will lose f’ing balls. Drop whatever you like.

Rare occasions (big tournaments) will invoke a true one ball rule. You have to start the tournament with the same exact type of ball you start. When I played in the county tournament it was under a true one ball rule. I can’t compete in the open division anymore and I know the cheats in the HC divisions (need a gross 62 to even sniff competing), it’s not worth it. I’d fair better in open than 1st flight (0-10hc) the one and only time I played it HC’d.

It lost its appeal once I couldn’t hang heads up.
I might just be sarcasm challenged and apologize if I'm missing it in your response somewhere @Smiter :unsure: But if yours was a serious question, then no, I did not play different type balls into the wind versus down wind. It was likely the same singular golf ball since all 6 of those drives found the fairway. Besides, I always play from a gamer ball pocket with just one make/model in it. Just habit. So if per chance I dunked one in the river on the par 3 6th? (too long ago to remember) I would've replaced it with the same model. Back then it was likely the newest version of Chrome Soft or maybe 1st gen TP5? The 100 yard+ difference I referenced in the post you quoted was all due to the wind.

35-45 mph wind it was nuts. Thinking you hit a shot to ride to wind only to see your ball sail OB great times , great time indeed

We have a 550 yard par 5 on my home course that plays directly into the north wind during the winter/ early spring. If it's blowing good, that hole feels like it plays 700+ yards.

Our opening hole is a 450 yard par 4 from the back tees and when it is playing into a north wind it feels like forever. I have hit driver, 3 wood and still had 60 yards in.

High winds in January and February are pretty common in Hawaii and numerous times they've had to postpone play at the Champions Tour event over there. I've experienced it before where you couldn't keep your golf ball on the green.
Here's a clip right before they canceled play for the afternoon.

A couple of years ago I played Wolf Creek GC in Mesquite Nevada and the winds were said to be 35-40 mph with gusts to 50+.
I drilled a screaming low driver that didn't make 150 yards and I hit a pw that went almost 200.
The real hard part was judging the cross winds.

Our opening hole is a 450 yard par 4 from the back tees and when it is playing into a north wind it feels like forever. I have hit driver, 3 wood and still had 60 yards in.
To this day I still laugh at a memory from our #10 hole. It's a 425 yard dogleg right par 4 from an elevated tee box, and faces right into the north wind with total exposure. It runs through a little valley, and it's like a freaking wind tunnel when it's blowing. Playing one day in 30-35 mph winds and one of the guys in our group hit a nice drive - then we watched it balloon hard and just stall in the air, and the wind was blowing it backward as it fell out of the sky. It landed probably 30-40 yards back from its apex. As it dropped, we were joking that it was going to land behind us and he was going to get negative yardage out of his drive. :LOL:

Looking at the conditions outside today, I can truthfully say that I wouldn't play in them. It is too windy. It has caused power fluctuations. That is too windy. They said 20 mph with gusts. Nope. It wouldn't be fun.

I played last Saturday in 25-35 mph winds with gusts to 45. Some shots were four club differences. I was whooped by the end of the round.

I’m not going to say Saturday...

not going to say saturday...

Saturday at The Morgan Cup in Alt Shot was pretty windy amirite @Jmk202 ? 😂

Stuffed an 8i in for net eagle and prolong the match another hole

The worst was a few years ago on a postseason league night. I was getting ready to play with Puttin4bird and as we were standing in the parking lot and a gust came up blowing so much dust up that we good barely see. It had to be a consistent 40mph wind with some huge gusts. That was a crazy round but actually ended up being a lot of fun.

Back