Hybrid/Utility Shafts - What’s your flavor?

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
What do you rock in the hybrid or utility? Why?
Is there anything out there you’d love to try? Tell us why!

Just the kbs in the mav hyb.. I was leaning towards the KK cuz thats what was in my apex hyb, but he kinda talked me into the kbs.. not 100% on it, the feel is a little off to me so I may look to experiment next season

• Staff
Just the kbs in the mav hyb.. I was leaning towards the KK cuz thats what was in my apex hyb, but he kinda talked me into the kbs.. not 100% on it, the feel is a little off to me so I may look to experiment next season
What’s off good buddy? Too stout? Too loose? Just not the feedback you expected?

I find the KBS hybrid shafts to play stout and rigid as heck.

• Staff
Give me all the Nippon MODUS3 GOST and Fujikura Ventus HB, all of them, now. Right now dammit! :ROFLMAO:

What’s off good buddy? Too stout? Too loose? Just not the feedback you expected?

I find the KBS hybrid shafts to play stout and rigid as heck.

I thought it was a little loose compared to the kuro. My kuro was a stiff, the kbs is x, and felt the kuro was still more stout. Maybe a different kick point?

I can't attribute it to equipment, obviously more user error, but I find myself topping the mav more when the apex was solid contact, albeit bombing hooks

• Staff
I thought it was a little loose compared to the kuro. My kuro was a stiff, the kbs is x, and felt the kuro was still more stout. Maybe a different kick point?

I can't attribute it to equipment, obviously more user error, but I find myself topping the mav more when the apex was solid contact, albeit bombing hooks
Maybe! We all swing different, ya know?

Im stealing “bombing hooks” to go with my “b*tch fades” :ROFLMAO:;)

I have the Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec in 80g Stiff in both of my hybrids. I doubt I would find anything I like better than them. It's the perfect shaft for me. Nice weight to the club and a stiff tip.

• Staff
I have the Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec in 80g Stiff in both of my hybrids. I doubt I would find anything I like better than them. It's the perfect shaft for me.
Man, Atmos is one, in all the lines, I wanted sooooooo badly to work. But it just wouldn’t for me.

Cheers to finding something that works!

Stock
My shaft game is nonexistent. I blame it on a lot of things but ultimately it comes down to me.

Stock
My shaft game is nonexistent. I blame it on a lot of things but ultimately it comes down to me.
Nothing wrong with that!

Really liking the Mitsubishi TENSEI™ AV Blue Hybrid 70 in my 3 & 4hy. A perfect fit for the AV Blue driver & 3 wood shaft.

Being a medium speed player and needing to create spin, I get along with two that I know:

Mitsu Tensei CK Pro Red 70

GD AD HY 65 (and possibly 75)

The Mitsu seems to create more height/spin for a more severe descent angle whereas the GD - not as much - it is more bullet-like. A high mid trajectory in the 65. The 75g is in an EX10, is more stout and I need to take it out to test it because a few years ago, it was too low for me. Things have changed since that time.

Both are smooth but the Tensei is more friendly in terms of height

Last edited:
Yeah, the GD Hybo shafts are legiiiiiiiiit!

I took the Kuro Kage out of my X Forged UT and put the Recoil 680 from my caved in Apex UT and saw a huge improvement. It was reliable and long Sunday. Longer than my driver several times.

Very much loving the ventus blue right now..

UST Mamiya Recoil ZT9 470 Graphite feels great in my BB19 3H...it makes the miyazaki in the 4H feel meh. I would like to try out the G.O.S.T.

My TEE EX9 Tour 4-Hybrid came with a Recoil ES 780, and it worked great from day one. When I recently replaced my 4-Fairway with a TEE CBX 119 2-Hybrid the stock shaft was an EvenFlow Blue 85, which was okay, but just didn't feel as good, or perform like the Recoil in my 4-Hybrid. I swapped it out for a Recoil ES 780 SW, and it's all good now. :thumb:

Still have the Ping G410 19 hybo.

I'm playing the GAPR mid in my 4 iron spot right now and I must say, it is pretty nice.

I'm tempted to invest in the Sim Mid 3 iron with a high launch shaft to bump out the Ping.

Currently gaming Project X Evenflow Black 85g 6.5 (XStiff). It has been the best one so far for me... it is the first I have owned that is actually stiff enough that I trust it.

I've tried limited combinations, and to be honest most of them have not been all that great for me. Most have been too soft, too loose (all were stiff flex). I finally switched to X--flex in hybrids... that was long overdue. I can lean on the EF black and it seem to really help with consistency of strike for me.

UST Mamiya V2 great hybrid shaft. Stable, low launching. A lot of performance for the money!

I consider my SZ 4i my utility club. I currently have a PX Catalyst in there but I'd love to try an actual hybrid shaft in there as was suggested by Jose aka @LittleRat

Stock for me. I have the Ping Alta CB shaft in both my driver and hybrid and more than happy with it.

Low launch, low spin, low torque. Anywhere from 90-110 grams in uncut weight.

My Super Hybrid has the stock Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80, and my Mav 5H has the Project X Catalyst 65, both in R flex. I haven't yet gone down the rabbit hole of aftermarket shafts, so I don't have any in mind that I'd want to try, or any idea which ones would even be worth trying.

Man, Atmos is one, in all the lines, I wanted sooooooo badly to work. But it just wouldn’t for me.

Cheers to finding something that works!

Go Atmos Black. It’s firm enough to make your shivers timber. But flexible enough to feel wobbly above 115 or so.

Ahhhh. To have those problems. I’m now trying to work a 105 swing with a forward press. I can’t bend my gear at current speeds. Stepped down in shaft flex. With the new swing it’s hitting it. Not very far, but nice flight. More important to me than anything. Nice flight equals my CHS being maximized. I’m hitting it further with good flight at 105 than bad flight at 115.

Again I go straight to the extremes. I’m not talking by a little. I either hit or miss, but the misses are huge. Golf is supposed to be fun. I have fun.

Back