Finally starting lessons!

Roadrunner

Golf More Better!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
After dabbling with training aids, YouTube instruction, and self-diagnosis (HA!), I finally decided to commit to lessons from an actual instructor. My instructor (Derek Deminsky) had me hit balls with 7i, 3h, and 5W, then we watched my swings on video. On the bright side, he said I had a swing built for accuracy: my shots travelled the same path nearly every shot. Of course, he then pointed out that there was no way my current swing could ever produce any decent distance: my lower body didn't move one damn bit!! It's funny how I think that I'm moving my legs and hip, but video shows that my lower body is stiff as a board! The rest of the lesson was spent working on lower body drills, trying to groove the feeling of lower body rotation while resisting the urge to throw my arms at the ball. My lower back is a bit sore this morning from actual use (lol), but that's why they created Aleve! I expect growing pains in the form of higher scores for a bit, but in the end it will all be worth it!

Good luck and enjoy. Are you inside or outside during lesson?

Good for you! Sounds like a good start to your lessons.

I am one of the biggest proponents of lessons. Video don't lie. It is humbling and eye opening when you see yourself on video, especially slow mo.

After seeing myself, I thought, to quote Master Chiun "You move like a baboon with two clubbed feet."

Congrats, smart move. The best path to improvement is to be sure you leave each lesson with a clear understanding of what you are supposed to work on (i.e., drills) and to do the work between lessons.

Be very patient. It's a process and we don't get to work on our game every day.

Stay committed.

I played my first post-lesson round yesterday, shooting an 84. I don’t expect distance gains until I get comfortable and really ingrain the feeling of using my lower body, but I can definitely say my iron play was much, much more consistent. I had a couple of scuffers, but I felt like I had much better control of my swing.

Back