The Utility Iron vs the Game Improvement Iron

This is something I've thought about before. Been playing a 4H for a while now, but have pondered off & on about replacing that and maybe even my 5I with something in between a hybrid and my CF19s. I don't have much experience with utility irons and have had middling success with GI longer irons. At least they're not so much better than my current irons that I've been compelled to switch after hitting them.

I like utility just because they blend better with type of iron profile I prefer. I do look for a forgiving one though as some are very punishing.

Personally I disagree with the statement that a utility is easier to hit than a bladed 3 iron. I don't think that is always the case.
I find my Titleist 710MB 3 iron to be much easier to control than my taylormade Gapr Lo. I hit it off the tee more than any other club during rounds here in the UK where courses are quite tight.
Tbh I think this is more down to the length of shaft and type of shaft. The utility is 1.5 inches longer and a hybrid graphite shaft possibly creates more speed resulting in less control for me. This could be nonsense but I am sure if I had a steel shaft at 3 iron length I'd do well with the Gapr Lo.

Having said that I've just purchased a Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro 4 iron to see if this can replace my 3 iron blade but I have high hopes for it after experiencing the HMP 5 iron. If it does then I'll get the 3 iron and Gapr out of the bag.
Just a matter of waiting until it comes. That and the fact that we are about to enter a 1 month national lockdown.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Are you arguing that a blade 3 iron is more forgiving than utility iron?

Are you arguing that a blade 3 iron is more forgiving than utility iron?
For me in my case of my 3 iron vs my utility yes.

Edit: to be fair my utility is at 2 Iron loft so perhaps a more fair comparison would be 3 to 3 of each.

Edit edit! Haha - Also I'm not arguing! I'm just stating that in my case it hasn't proven to be true.
Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

It depends on the OEM and club model. Most of the time I’m going utility for the look and lack of offset. I can deal with a bigger head and even a bigger sole since I’m not going to generate a ton of turf interaction, but I can’t do excessive offset.

My Maltby #2 Utility 19 degree is as forgiving as my Mavrik MAX irons and it works great for its purpose. I find I hit it much lower like baseball line drives when off the deck and regular flight when off the tee. It is a great club and as good as anything going.

I have been using utility irons as long iron replacements since the first Apex MB and Apex utilities came out. I have evolved from hitting them with the same shaft as my irons and lengths to match the irons they replaced to using a hybrid shaft and playing the a touch longer length. If I do make a switch to TM P7MB this season I am leaning towards the P770 in the 3 & 4 irons this time.

I had the same decision to make in my actual bag, and I went with a 3 Utility, and a 4 iron.
I pull the Utility in the thicker stuff and in the fairways, and will mainly use the 4 iron off the tee.

It might be over kill to carry both, but I do.

If I could only choose one though, I would 100% grab a utility. Reasoning being I want the extra heft for trouble spots.

Really depends on the two clubs.

I’ve had success with both a GI long iron and a Utility

depends on how the rest of the bag is setup and what gaps we need to hit

Probably utility iron but I am not really sure. Have only tried one, and did not have a lot of success with it, but that was about 6 years ago. And I have no clue when the last time I hit a true GI iron.

This is a very good discussion and relevant as I honestly don’t love hybrids but my current set has a new one. That being said have been thinking of getting a club for use primarily off the tee on long par threes or a course where design favors an iron off some other tees. Not sure I have at my age (>60) and post injuries the SS recommended for most UTs (Various articles say should be past 100 mph on driver - so I am borderline) but truly like their look better than most GI irons. Here definitely to learn on this fine topic. I favor a traditional look if possible but open to most anything.

GI club for me... had UI in the bag for a year and comparative data my GI 4i performed almost as well in distance but was more accurate

In my bag my longest iron is 5 iron. I have a Srixon U85 Utility 3 iron with 20degrees of loft. I like the look better of the utility versus the chunkier hybrids. The utility I have fits my gapping perfectly and I have used the club from the tee on tighter driving holes or when my driver is **itting the bed, off the fairway and from rough where the ball is either sitting up or the rough is not thick. I have tried GI irons and to me they tend to be chunkier than my Titleist Ap1's and the Srixon U85.
This year was the year of the experiment, I won a set of Ping G410 Irons from THP, didn't like them after about 5-10 rounds gave them to my son who is just starting to play. i also tried a set of Cobra one-length F9's, liked them even less, they definitely didn't fit my eye from day one but I gave them the old college try and failed miserably with them. I kept coming back to my 716 AP1's which have that nice thin top line, paired with my Srixon UI, Titleist 817 3 wood and Cobra SZ Driver I am happy with my set for now.

This is a really interesting conversation, and it was a conversation I was having with myself earlier this year. I went with the Speedzone 4i because I got a great deal on it, and I really enjoy the performance of the iron off the tee. I honestly couldn't ask for anything more out of the GI iron than for how I use it, off the tee on tight par 4's. I'm going to start using it off the fairway more and more, to see if it can be a more versatile club for me.

For me, I am very interested in Utility Irons for this spot, but I just have not had the opportunity to try them out. I'm going to keep up with this conversation, but would love to see a Tech Studio comparison of the Utility vs game improvement within the same company, IE Srixon 585 vs U85, Cobra Forged Tec, vs Cobra Utility, etc. Let's see the numbers and how they each stack up!

Having tried my luck with a UT last year, I would lean going for a GI long iron to gap that part of my bag. I think some of the recent iron sets that have come out, really have bridged the gap between the long iron on so called "GI" sets to the UT offerings out there. Case in point is the Mizuno 921 HMP. The longer irons are so easy to hit and I can see a 3 or 4 iron being a UT replacement.

Surprising no one, I am a fan of utility irons.

This has been a bag battle for me in the past, and it will certainly be revisited. I absolutely love my 23* JPX919 HM 5-iron, so I won't be changing it anytime soon. I currently rotate a hybrid and a utility at the 20* spot, but despite being generally happy with both, I've also had my frustration both. My problem with hybrids is their tendency to hook on me - although I do seem to getting on top of that particular challenge. I believe the problem with the two utilities I've had is the wide, flat sole. There are definite turf interaction issues. (My Ping Karsten experiment several years back was an absolute disaster!) But when I hit the utility well, I hit it really, really well. If I upgrade to JPX921 HMP's in the spring, I'll almost certainly order a HM or HMP 4-iron as well to do battle with a new V-soled utility from Srixon/Cleveland.

I’ve been lucky in that I have three hybrids with a 3 loft that I am very consistent with and get the general distance I am looking for. Losing club head speed as I plummet on the downhill side of my life I decided the 4 iron needed replacing as well and went with a utility for the first time ever and it has me thinking about the 5 as well. I went with a Callaway UT and it is so much easier to hit and the distance increase has been very helpful. If you keep your head back at impact you can get a nice high ball flight but what really surprised me is how great it is when you want to flight the ball low. Three times I had to carry rough but keep it under multiple trees and all three times I ended up on the green. One shot was so good I had to explain to all three of my buddies why it was so good and why they needed to congratulate me multiple times throughout the day.

I considered a GI iron like the Epic but in the end felt a utility would be even easier to hit and more versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like I've always associated a UT as a driving iron. Intended purpose is to hit it low off the tee and off the deck. But, that's just simply not the case. The modern UT is so much more versatile and ready to hit compared to their predecessors. Maybe a different category in my mind. When I think of the X Forged UT vs the Taylormade UDI (the tour preferred ones from a few years back) they seem like completely different style clubs just based on the results I got. I feel like the modern UT iron is more of a long iron replacement than it is a one trick pony.

So, with that being said, I don't really have an answer. It totally depends on the characteristics of the GI iron vs the UT. If I look at the standard Mavrik 4 iron, the specs can mimick those of a UT. 18 degrees of loft and can produce a ton of ball speed. But, in profile it looks a lot different to my eye then say the Epic Forged 4 iron. For me, the Epic Forged is a UT disguised as a set iron, lol. Hits low bullets and has some of the fastest ball speeds I've ever seen from an iron.

I guess, the shorter answer is either one is the right choice as long as it fits what you want out of that spot in your bag. I'll say this, the category has evolved so much over the years. It's exciting to have as many options as we do.

I just put a utility iron into the bag to replace my 5w. I chose the u500 over something like the P790 or T300 due to the offset in "GI" clubs. I like to take the left side of the course out of play and the draw bias on the GI type clubs brings that back in to play for me.

I've never swung a utility iron, but the Speedzone 4i was so much easier to hit than I expected in the limited time I've used it.

I do have 3h and 5h in the bag right now, but have considered swapping out the 3h for the 4i just to see what happens.

Back