Should The Masters Rotate Courses Like Other Majors?

Sox_Fan

Go Sox!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Cold Temps
In the quest to hit 7 million posts, I knew this thread would solicit a ton of opinions (and a lot of outrage), the overwhelming majority of which will be contrary to my opinion.

My answer to this question is yes. Before you grill me for my answer, please hear me out. I don't see ANGC as offering a true major championship challenge to today's golfer on a yearly basis. I am of the opinion that par should be a challenge in a major championship and double digit under par winning scores should be few and far between in major championships. I know the tradition argument will come up over and over again and to that I counter with St. Andrews, which has much more tradition than ANGC. I have been read many rumblings over the past several years from prominent golf people questioning whether St. Andrews should remain in the Open rota because of the same reason I stated above regarding ANGC. I have read very little regarding people questioning the viability of ANGC as a major championship test of golf venue.

Obviously AGNC has the beauty which I would never dispute and I believe it should be part of a Masters rotation every 5 years like the frquency St. Andrews has traditionally been played as part of the Open rota. Both course are very "gettable" for today's player unless weather significantly alters the course's play.

Sound off THP!

Nope. That's one thing that makes the Masters special.

I understand your reasoning but I think Augusta at this point is just too iconic to try rotating it out to other courses.

Going to have to go with a hard no. Does it really matter what the scores are or how hard the course is? The person laying the best consistently those 4 days is going to win whether they shoot -30 or +30

Hell F no
They move from Augusta I’ll stop watching, the masters is Augusta.

Absolutely not. Knowing the course year after year makes it more fun for me.

The teeth of Augusta require firm greens more than anything, with the players basically putting on grass on their incredible complexes.

I think the Masters should stay at Augusta, however, I do think we need a bit more luck with the weather.

Absolutely no

Absolutely no way.
While I understand the argument, who cares what they shoot in relation to par.
Augusta National is the mecca of golf.

No.

no way they should move it around.

No because The masters started at and is Augusta. The U.S. Open strives to be the hardest major but I think what makes them a major is going up against the best fields.There is nothing they says they have to play at it close to even par. Just beat the other top golfers of the world.

Me being of the non-sentimental ilk when it comes to things I watch on TV, I will take part in the spirit of this thread by saying, sure.

It wouldn't be possible at this point because the same people that complain at length about the course and coverage would probably boycott that kind of change (see every other response), because how dare you change the thing I've said countless times needs other changes!!

People struggle with tradition and change and it's cemented as **** at this point. The Masters is Augusta National. You'd literally have to change the name of the tournament I think, and then everyone would just scream about that too.

Last edited:
No. The masters is fine as is..

No thanks.

When Hell freezes over ...

The Masters has a weak field - they need to strengthen it. But Augusta is the Masters and it stays.

Back