Do you use the bump and run?

I use the bump and run quite often....but not on purpose 🤣

I use it often since many courses around here are not going to have fluffy lies with soft ground all over the place. Really cuts down on the mishits from less than ideal grass/weeds or even hard ground. Its definitely an advantage I picked up from playing with older golfers mostly.

I use my PW and lift the heel a little/toe down and swing it like my putter

I use it when I can. I'll use 4 iron through PW, depending on the conditions. Low risk shot. I took a few lessons for it too.

My buddy does it with hybrids, very successfully I might add.
Yup, low risk, high reward.

I love the Hybo play and I’m going to commit to that more this year for sure

When I can. But so many greens are elevated or with uncertain grass or wet areas, that it does not come into play as much. When I can, I air onto the green and allow roll.
I remember reading some where about elevated greens , and using the bump and run on them.

The golfer would hit their ball, on the fly, into the bank (side hill) of the elevated green, "bumping" the ball up on to the green's surface, where the ball would continue to "run" to the hole.

I never could master that version of the "b&r" shot, and went with lobs, and flops.

I try to keep the ball as close to the ground as possible, so yes. If the situation allows, I'll certainly use a bump-and-run.

Rarely. I played a lot with my father this year who is pretty good and he used it almost exclusively. It got me attempting it more but it still needs lots of practice

I remember reading some where about elevated greens , and using the bump and run on them.

The golfer would hit their ball, on the fly, into the bank (side hill) of the elevated green, "bumping" the ball up on to the green's surface, where the ball would continue to "run" to the hole.

I never could master that version of the "b&r" shot, and went with lobs, and flops.

I've tried it, too. :ROFLMAO: Not an easy shot. It's more of a last resort when I have nothing else. And sometimes, it's just best to take my medicine and fly it with an open faced cut to the green and hope it dies upon hitting the surface. But it depends on lie and conditions - wet, dry, slope, etc.

I wish I did as it's a highly effective mood... I don't practice it so not sure how the speed and distance work out on the shots I need.

Been using my Mavrik A wedge for bump and run . Bumped and ran one in for birdie last Saturday
Mav AW is my favorite and most used club for bump and runs, just a comfortable club for that shot for me.

I need to practice and commit to this shot when it’s available.

All depends but I'm comfortable bumping it up there when I think it's the right play. Some courses I'll use it a lot, others almost never. Almost any club is fair game depending upon the specific situation.

Yep I use it all the time. 7-PW. Playing in sloppy NW my chances for success is way higher than using my traditional wedges

Yep I use it all the time. 7-PW. Playing in sloppy NW my chances for success is way higher than using my traditional wedges
It's also a lower risk shot from a tight/hardpan lie, where you're likely to have the club bounce into the ball and skull it. Nothing like turning a 30 yard lob into a 70 yard line drive over the back of the green! 😬

I tried one on the front. Seemed like a good situation. Got to the ball, wasn't. Cart was long ways away. Bogey. Bump and run = bad. Haha

Last edited:
20210103_142232.jpgScreenshot_20210103-142421_TheGrint.jpg20210103_142502.jpg

That one was on the move for a stiff guy. Going to lay up though so I can hit a King Tour in.

I use the bump and run all the time, love this shot. My mentor 40 years ago was the best at it, he used 6-PW depending on fly distance.
Nowadays, I play with this 67 year old guy whose simply the best at the bump and run. He’s a master, holds course record at 63 where I play. If you have room, it’s the play.

Depends on the situation. But I have no problem pulling it off. The last one I had a few weeks ago was a 9-iron bump & run executed perfectly to a tap in. ;)

Lately I’ve brought it back in playing on tight lies around the green.

Since I don’t play all the time I usually putt those to avoid chunky shots that end up way way way short.

Started using B&R during the summer with my 8i. Expanding use to my 7 and 9. It's becoming my "go-to" shot around the green.

I use it all the time when close to the green and have a chip shot. I use everything from 8 iron to 2 hybrid depending on what I want to do. I have a buddy who never does. He likes to pitch everything, flying the ball most of the way to the hole. I like to get the ball on the green and rolling ASAP.

I use it when I can. But also chutt with the best of them. My confidence in that is pretty high so if that’s an option I will. Had a 60 footer ,5 years of which was through the ruff which ended up grazing the side of the hole. The group was amazed with the touch

I use it when I can. But also chutt with the best of them. My confidence in that is pretty high so if that’s an option I will. Had a 60 footer ,5 years of which was through the ruff which ended up grazing the side of the hole. The group was amazed with the touch
Any time I can reasonably have a putter in my hand, I have a putter in my hand. There's a saying, "Your worst putt will be better than your worst chip".

We were always taught on a straight forward shot to only use enough loft to get to the green and let it run out the rest... obviously there are circumstances when you can’t or shouldn’t do that, but for the most part that’s how I play.

Back