Callaway MAVRIK Irons

Has anyone looked at comparison's of mavrik max vs b21?

i’m reflecting on my year with the mav pros. i don’t have a great data set to quantify any of this, but here are my thoughts.

looks- i still really love the look. it’s not the techiest look, and it’s not the cleanest/classiest look, but i still think it looks very good for its category.

sound/feel- as the year progressed, i found myself enjoying the solid feel more and more. i found the feedback to be excellent, i always knew where i hit the ball on the face. it wasn’t until i did some side-by-side testing with forged irons that i really noticed the difference in feel. but i never disliked the feel of the cast mav pro. i actually like it a lot, though forged is still my preference.

performance- the big story about the mavrik iron lineup was the ai faces. each iron at each loft had its own individually ai’d face. i have no idea whether and how this helped my iron game. but what i can say is i hit more greens with the mav pro than i did with my last 3 iron sets.

as my swing work yielded some improvement in my delivery, i saw excellent launch and spin out of my mav pros. this was my original knock against these irons, but in reality my swing had devolved. that said, i missed long with my mav pros more often than any iron in recent memory. the long miss was most often experienced off the tee or out of the rough, with the ball flying farther than expected and also releasing farther. but out of the fairway i only saw these kind of issues with 5i and sometimes 6i.

flighting up and down was very easy. draw was very easy, and often too easy (or unintended). fade was a little more work but could be done.

turf interaction was something that while i’m not sure it was a problem, i did often wish the club would get out of the ground faster.

i’ve found myself wanting something a little smaller, a little softer, a little spinnier, and a little better out of the ground. but the number of gir kept me from changing. truth be told i have another set to put in play when i get back on the course, in an attempt to gain most of what i felt the mav pros lacked. but performance will be the ultimate determinant for whether the mav pros win out.

one more comment on performance that i always find pretty cool is how these irons have beaten some other heavy hitters. when tested against the apex pro, the mav pro were more consistent and far more forgiving. even more so when tested against the x forged cb.

final takeaway- i wish more people had tried the mav pro. at its price and tech, i thought it was one of the standouts of 2020. and yet i didn’t feel it received much love. for the player looking for a slightly smaller (but not totally intimidating) footprint, and looking to gain a little distance by lowering flight and managing spin, i think these are just about perfect. i will almost definitely be moving on sometime this year, but that’s because i haven’t kept an iron set more than a year since i don’t know when, not because the irons aren’t fantastic.

We used to live in Palm Springs for many years - moved back to MN because of kids and family... in a few years they'll be in college and we can go to warmer weather... she likes to golf so I think that she now sees "the light"
After the kids come grand kids,etc. After getting degree and first "mini exec" job after graduation which I worked a year and was up for promotion . Buddy of mine was going down to Lauderdale for second time and I quit and went with him. No jobs at time (1971) but worked way to bartender and paid $165 for a great little white 2 seater conv. Might have never came back to Michigan had mother not called on ailing father. That was 50 years ago and having a wife close to her family moving became mute point unless it was a very good job opportunity. Never happened.

i’m reflecting on my year with the mav pros. i don’t have a great data set to quantify any of this, but here are my thoughts.

looks- i still really love the look. it’s not the techiest look, and it’s not the cleanest/classiest look, but i still think it looks very good for its category.

sound/feel- as the year progressed, i found myself enjoying the solid feel more and more. i found the feedback to be excellent, i always knew where i hit the ball on the face. it wasn’t until i did some side-by-side testing with forged irons that i really noticed the difference in feel. but i never disliked the feel of the cast mav pro. i actually like it a lot, though forged is still my preference.

performance- the big story about the mavrik iron lineup was the ai faces. each iron at each loft had its own individually ai’d face. i have no idea whether and how this helped my iron game. but what i can say is i hit more greens with the mav pro than i did with my last 3 iron sets.

as my swing work yielded some improvement in my delivery, i saw excellent launch and spin out of my mav pros. this was my original knock against these irons, but in reality my swing had devolved. that said, i missed long with my mav pros more often than any iron in recent memory. the long miss was most often experienced off the tee or out of the rough, with the ball flying farther than expected and also releasing farther. but out of the fairway i only saw these kind of issues with 5i and sometimes 6i.

flighting up and down was very easy. draw was very easy, and often too easy (or unintended). fade was a little more work but could be done.

turf interaction was something that while i’m not sure it was a problem, i did often wish the club would get out of the ground faster.

i’ve found myself wanting something a little smaller, a little softer, a little spinnier, and a little better out of the ground. but the number of gir kept me from changing. truth be told i have another set to put in play when i get back on the course, in an attempt to gain most of what i felt the mav pros lacked. but performance will be the ultimate determinant for whether the mav pros win out.

one more comment on performance that i always find pretty cool is how these irons have beaten some other heavy hitters. when tested against the apex pro, the mav pro were more consistent and far more forgiving. even more so when tested against the x forged cb.

final takeaway- i wish more people had tried the mav pro. at its price and tech, i thought it was one of the standouts of 2020. and yet i didn’t feel it received much love. for the player looking for a slightly smaller (but not totally intimidating) footprint, and looking to gain a little distance by lowering flight and managing spin, i think these are just about perfect. i will almost definitely be moving on sometime this year, but that’s because i haven’t kept an iron set more than a year since i don’t know when, not because the irons aren’t fantastic.
Well stated. They have a fantastic foot print and look like a players iron should, at least to me they do. And they are long. Like crazy long. At the end of the day, I really struggled managing my distances with them. It felt like there was a limitless potential for distance in them. They are definitely lower spinning than what I am used to playing. And, the fact that I primarily play a low spinning draw, I would get some unreal distance out of them. There was one shot on a short par 4 that stands out to me. Wind at the back and the hole is super tight and you can't see the green. I pulled out my 6 iron to try and get myself into LW range. I absolutely smoked it and found myself just off the green.

At the top end of my bag, it was kind of nice being able to hit a 6 iron to reach a par 5 in two where I used to maybe reach for a 4 iron. But, that came at a cost for me in the shorter irons and I was flying greens like crazy. My old PW was my 140-150 club where the Mavrik Pro would get me 165+. Since I am low spin already and it went even lower and adding the fact that I am an amateur and my delivery isn't consistent every time, I would get some really silly results from them. I would say that I am kind of anomaly where I generate lots of speed but not a lot of spin. I also don't have the touch I wish I did to manage my distances better. I struggle taking speed off.

For someone who is steep, or plays a cut, and needs help managing their spin but also want to add some substantial distance, the Mav Pros would be an amazing set for them. They aren't forged and I won't say that they feel that soft. But, they are definitely very solid and have a great feel and sound at impact.

I wanted to drop this nugget I wrote in another thread for anyone interested in these irons:

A buddy just got Mavrik irons to replace his Callaway Edge Costco ones. He asked me to help him get his gapping and carry numbers. We went to the range with the Mevo+. He told me his expected numbers with his old irons (160y carry with 8i). I asked him to hit a few to baseline. Strike dependant, he did get a few out to 160 but had more in the 150y range. Then he started hitting the Mavrik 8i. Carry jumped to 167, and he was really steady there. I was surprised that spin was higher despite the stronger lofts. The big story besides the 8 or so yards he got across the board was how tight his front to back dispersion was with the new irons. We gapped from 6i to his wedges. I emailed him the numbers from the myflightscope page. A combination of better (& better fitting) irons plus having his carry #s down has him playing the best golf of his life. If he keeps this up, he should become a single digit this year.

I wanted to drop this nugget I wrote in another thread for anyone interested in these irons:

A buddy just got Mavrik irons to replace his Callaway Edge Costco ones. He asked me to help him get his gapping and carry numbers. We went to the range with the Mevo+. He told me his expected numbers with his old irons (160y carry with 8i). I asked him to hit a few to baseline. Strike dependant, he did get a few out to 160 but had more in the 150y range. Then he started hitting the Mavrik 8i. Carry jumped to 167, and he was really steady there. I was surprised that spin was higher despite the stronger lofts. The big story besides the 8 or so yards he got across the board was how tight his front to back dispersion was with the new irons. We gapped from 6i to his wedges. I emailed him the numbers from the myflightscope page. A combination of better (& better fitting) irons plus having his carry #s down has him playing the best golf of his life. If he keeps this up, he should become a single digit this year.

wow that’s amazing!

That is great stuff!!! Him knowing those good carry yardages will allow him to make better course decisions for sure.

As I shop for new irons (mostly looking at the new Apex’s), I keep finding some great deals on the Marvik range (almost $1000 AUD difference between Mavrik and Apex irons).

For those of you that have Mavrik irons, how many of you are jumping across to the new Apex? Or is there not enough in it to make you want to spend the money? I know that forged and cast irons are not the same, but is it worth spending the extra difference?

Considering I’m going from some 12 year old Nike GI irons, I know that what ever way I decide to go will be a great improvement.

Cheers in advance

As I shop for new irons (mostly looking at the new Apex’s), I keep finding some great deals on the Marvik range (almost $1000 AUD difference between Mavrik and Apex irons).

For those of you that have Mavrik irons, how many of you are jumping across to the new Apex? Or is there not enough in it to make you want to spend the money? I know that forged and cast irons are not the same, but is it worth spending the extra difference?

Considering I’m going from some 12 year old Nike GI irons, I know that what ever way I decide to go will be a great improvement.

Cheers in advance

for clarity, which mavrik irons are you considering, and which apex irons are you considering? our 2019 grandaddy team has experience across both lineups so we may be able to help answer questions.

for clarity, which mavrik irons are you considering, and which apex irons are you considering? our 2019 grandaddy team has experience across both lineups so we may be able to help answer questions.
Probably good to know. I’m looking at the Standard in both ranges.

I played the Mav std irons in 2020 and will continue to play them this year. No need for change. Easier to hit. Great trajectory and spin in each club to hold greens. No brainer for me.

imho these two options are massively different.

mav standard are quite large, plenty of offset, geared toward a higher handicapper who needs help with forgiveness, launch and distance.

apex 21 standard will be a much smaller profile, geared toward a mid single to low double digit handicap who wants some forgiveness, but in a compact package that still provides consistency and control.

i hit mav standard and actually liked them for what they are, but aren't what i gravitate toward. i played cf19 but haven't tried apex 21, but i did test apex pro 21 and took the plunge to purchase.

imho these two options are massively different.

mav standard are quite large, plenty of offset, geared toward a higher handicapper who needs help with forgiveness, launch and distance.

apex 21 standard will be a much smaller profile, geared toward a mid single to low double digit handicap who wants some forgiveness, but in a compact package that still provides consistency and control.

i hit mav standard and actually liked them for what they are, but aren't what i gravitate toward. i played cf19 but haven't tried apex 21, but i did test apex pro 21 and took the plunge to purchase.
I went from playing the cf16’s to the Mavrik standards. To me, the mavs don’t look like shovels. The b21’s do, but not the Mav std’s. JMO of course. I played well with the cf16’s but needed just a bit more help with gir’s when my game was off. The Mavriks were the ticket for me.

Much appreciated guys, great food for thought. I’m hoping to get out tomorrow to hit both of them, that will be the final decider as to which way I go (the Apex’s would want to be unbelievable considering the price I can get on the Mavs).
Cheers again

Cheers in advance
I'm playing the Mavrik Standards. As much as I love the look of the Apex irons, I won't be making the jump. I love how easy the Mavs are to hit and love the forgiveness since I don't always find the sweet spot. The Mavs also have great feel on well struck shots, they make me want to stand there and hit them over and over again. They're a huge improvement in every way over my previous irons (10 year old Ping K15s). They've been in my bag for a year, and they're not going anywhere any time soon.

I have to be the only fool who moved from Boca Raton to Birmingham to retire. And I did it for the stupidest of reasons. Any guesses as to that reason?

I have to be the only fool who moved from Boca Raton to Birmingham to retire. And I did it for the stupidest of reasons. Any guesses as to that reason?
Because you had Mavrik irons? 🤔

I figured I'd post here instead of make a new thread... last weekend I took my new to me Mavrik Max irons to the driving range for the first time and I liked the results I got. Several shots went straight, long, and kind of far. Considering I was used to hitting TM Burner 2.0's, the difference was night and day. Shots that I knew weren't pure still went mostly straight. I'm happy with my new irons and look forward to hitting them on the golf course.

Would like anyones thoughts on the stock Project X Catalyst 55/65/75 Graphite shafts if they have them.

I have had these irons for over a year and like them a lot. However, the finish they put on them sucks. I can't understand why they would use a finish that gets so easily hacked up.

I have had these irons for over a year and like them a lot. However, the finish they put on them sucks. I can't understand why they would use a finish that gets so easily hacked up.

I really like these irons and I agree with the finish. My AW sole is pretty beaten up.

I have a set but haven’t had chance to use them much yet so will have to see how they hold up

Took my new Mavrik irons out yesterday and have to say I love them. Really forgiving and very consistent. Do have to echo the thoughts on finish though. My AW is looking scuffed already despite only maybe hitting 20 shots with it :(

Back