The Red Wine Thread

Moved on to wines from Lodi California, favorites are those from Lange Twins, and Jessie's Grove. Visits to wineries are much less expensive for tastings, and the wine is more reasonably priced. Interesting to find a lot of Lodi grape production goes to Napa.
Agreed. Napa was great and we enjoyed the heck out of it, but we've decided to visit and tour other wine areas going forward. Mostly from a cost effectiveness perspective and trying new things.

I’ve never had a wine from Baja CA before but this came highly recommended from someone I trust. Will open it this weekend.
View attachment 8973900
I wanted to follow up on this one. This one was INCREDIBLE. Long profile with a blend of both red and black fruits, some lavender/rose and slight green pepper. Great structure too. I believe it was $35ish and well worth it.

433F5D17-215A-40D1-B0D2-3B81056D12DF.jpeg

We had ribeye last night and the Jordan cab, from Napa, is a fantastic pairing. We opened a second bottle and decided to try a new pickup from Costco, K Vintners . The Creator is also a cab but significantly different than the Jordan. Jordan is elegant and The Creator is very bold, largely due to the 25% Syrah blend. We're having bbq ribs in a few days and this will be our wine for that meal.

62890990584__79FF89DA-1A35-4973-BF94-0DB700CF5D74.jpeg

I’ve actually gotten into Red Wine over the last few years. My wife LOVES wine so we partake quite a bit.

We had ribeye last night and the Jordan cab, from Napa, is a fantastic pairing. We opened a second bottle and decided to try a new pickup from Costco, K Vintners . The Creator is also a cab but significantly different than the Jordan. Jordan is elegant and The Creator is very bold, largely due to the 25% Syrah blend. We're having bbq ribs in a few days and this will be our wine for that meal.

View attachment 8978097

jordan is not from napa. but still make good wine.

i love k vintners/charles smith wines. funny enough the creator is one of my least favorites. the syrahs are usually outstanding.

jordan is not from napa. but still make good wine.

i love k vintners/charles smith wines. funny enough the creator is one of my least favorites. the syrahs are usually outstanding.

D’oh! I’ve been to a Jordan tasting at their winery in Healdsburg. Sonoma/Napa...almost got it right. Thanks.

I just discovered this thread. I am going to have fun reading through this the next couple of days

View attachment 8978097
Ayo

PXL_20210110_232803298.jpg

We had this on NYE with some friends and it was fantastic! Can’t wait to have it agin soon!

8b3a28dd59bc74ef3a09fc04a9de1333.jpg

good stuff. i’m a big fan of the saldo zinfandel. prisoner is another wine that used to be really good value. i don’t know if dave phinney is still making the wine, but i recently had a phinney red blend from portugal that was really good.

Prisoner still has some decent wines. Noting that they were headquartered in Nooriootpa in the Barossa Valley of Australia, was a high recommendation for me!

the 74 martha’s is a thing of legend. would love to have tried that wine in its prime.

i’m going to respectfully disagree with most of what you say above. the abv crowd in wine is like the loft peeping crowd in golf. higher extraction and riper fruit is in large part because of weather, but viticulture and viniculture have progressed significantly in the last 50 years. we know how to do much more with less than winemakers of old, and have advanced technologies to do it.

structure does not have to be sacrificed for fruit. low abv wines can be interesting, but higher abv can age beautifully. also, how one person wants a 20+ year old wine to present can differ from another person. i never want a wine to wow me with subtlety; i still need a strong presence of primary flavors to find a wine enjoyable, then the secondaries and tertiaries can complement rather than dominate.

much like golf, it’s a great time to be alive and have access to so many great wines from all over the world.

I will respectfully disagree with you! I've been drinking, and tasting, wines for nearly a half century! I've tasted nothing recent, even given enough time, to match the older offerings! Sorry! Just can't do it! I have a few bottle of Shafer Hillside Select from the newer program! They are nowhere near the old time program!

The old way is the best way!

Total transparency......Aldi’s! I forget the price. Maybe $19?

Wow! I have never found that wine at my local Aldi's, but, if I do, I would buy it! I love me some Spanish wines, Especially from the Ribero del Duero!

Prisoner still has some decent wines. Noting that they were headquartered in Nooriootpa in the Barossa Valley of Australia, was a high recommendation for me!

I will respectfully disagree with you! I've been drinking, and tasting, wines for nearly a half century! I've tasted nothing recent, even given enough time, to match the older offerings! Sorry! Just can't do it! I have a few bottle of Shafer Hillside Select from the newer program! They are nowhere near the old time program!

The old way is the best way!

Wow! I have never found that wine at my local Aldi's, but, if I do, I would buy it! I love me some Spanish wines, Especially from the Ribero del Duero!

enjoy wine and you’re doing fine. nothing would make me happier than pop some corks with you someday!

We had this on NYE with some friends and it was fantastic! Can’t wait to have it agin soon!

8b3a28dd59bc74ef3a09fc04a9de1333.jpg

Agreed, this is a good, relatively inexpensive, cab that goes great with everything from pizza to steak. It is a huge departure from Napa cabs so if you prefer that style this may not be your thing.

Agreed, this is a good, relatively inexpensive, cab that goes great with everything from pizza to steak. It is a huge departure from Napa cabs so if you prefer that style this may not be your thing.

I usually don't do a Cab with pizza. In fact, never. Must be a lighter style of Cab. Beer and Pizza are good partners as well as a Zinfandel or Italian Red. But a Cab - would not have thought it.

I posted a thread a few days ago asking about Menage a Trois. Yes, I saw it in a tv commercial. I'm a child of the 80's and fell for it. I picked up a bottle of their cabernet (I think) at Costco and might open it later this week. I don't have any fancy wine glasses. It'll be opened, poured into a plastic cup (tervis tumbler style 20oz not a red solo) and guzzled before it has time to breathe.:ROFLMAO: Hopefully it'll taste like something I like (fruit juice instead of wine). I grew up with bartles & james, seagrams, koala springs box wine, so my tastes are NOT refined in the least. If I find the flavor not to my liking, I've got sprite to add to it... and ice.:D

I like red wine a lot but after reading through one page of this I don't think I have the same wine budget as many of you. I love Jordan but I don't generally spend $50 a bottle or more for something to drink at home. Although given that we don't go out much I probably could.

Generally I like to spend $20-30 a bottle and we drink red. Traditionally it had been Cabs and Merlot (my wife prefers those) but we have been branching out a bit and enjoying some Pinot Noir and trying some Italian and French reds. I would love some suggestions that hit those parameters. I do most of my shopping at a Total Wines near me and usually wander around and just pick things that look interesting or ask the advice of someone working there.

My wife and I love Paso, favorite wine region. Haven't had the opportunity to do Napa but feel Paso will still win

My wife and I love Paso, favorite wine region. Haven't had the opportunity to do Napa but feel Paso will still win

Napa (Yountville) has the better Cabs but for a lot more money. I prefer to visit Paso Robles and San Simeon. In NorCal, I usually bypass the Yountville area and head towards the Russian River and Dry Creek Valley areas for Sparklers, Zinfandel, and Pinot Noir. If you must have a Chardonnay or Gevurtz - then Russian River area and Healdsburg

If you want to get real adventurous, get on Highway 128 and head towards Mendocino and the wineries along the way - lots of redwoods.

Last edited:
One of my favs hands down

1610478701526.png

Back