Club Manufacturing Locations

-CRW-

Reaction score
I don’t want this to be political. I’m not in the market for new clubs.

I’m curious - is it even possible to have a full bag of clubs where nothing was made in China?

I know some companies have irons/wedges made in Japan, but what about woods and putters?

True Temper/PX makes steel shafts here right? But what about graphite? Would you have to go “small batch” or similar?

I’m curious - is it even possible to have a full bag of clubs where nothing was made in China?

I know some companies have irons/wedges made in Japan, but what about woods and putters?

True Temper/PX makes steel shafts here right? But what about graphite? Would you have to go “small batch” or similar?

It's been 20 years since steel and, or, titanium metal woods were produced at USA foundries.
Several brands of iron heads are produced in Japan.
Most of True Temper's steel iron shaft production (TT and Rifle brand names) are produced in the USA.
Premium graphite shafts have either USA or Japan made production.
Premium milled putter heads such as Scotty Cameron , Bettinardi, and a few small boutique brands are produced using USA CNC milling shops.

It doesn’t have to be made in the USA. I’m just curious what all is made outside of China.

For example, Mizuno and Srixon irons are made in Japan, but what about their woods and Mizuno’s wedges? Or Cleveland and Srixon are owned by the same entity, but aren’t the Cleveland products all made in China?

Sure, if you go vintage. There was a time not so long ago that Ping still made clubs here in the US. About 15 years ago I had a Ping Anser that was 100% made in the USA.

Sure, if you go vintage. There was a time not so long ago that Ping still made clubs here in the US. About 15 years ago I had a Ping Anser that was 100% made in the USA.
I’m more interested in current OEM’s because I expect it to play a role in my future purchases.

I’m also confused how production in China is supposed to be the cheapest, but Srixon clubs are cheaper and so many more no upcharge shaft options compared to most OEM’s.

There was some discussion of it in this thread. The only ones anybody that responded knew of were P53. None of the major OEMs are made in America.

There was some discussion of it in this thread. The only ones anybody that responded knew of were P53. None of the major OEMs are made in America.
It’s not about being made in America. I was curious as to what is NOT made in China.

I’m more interested in current OEM’s because I expect it to play a role in my future purchases.

I’m also confused how production in China is supposed to be the cheapest, but Srixon clubs are cheaper and so many more no upcharge shaft options compared to most OEM’s.
Well, its mostly due to labor cost. When you pay people a fraction in China what you would pay them in Europe or the US, it greatly reduces your operating costs. As for why Srixon clubs are so cheap, its because they arent very popular and Srixon is willing to take much less of a profit simply to sell clubs.
Srixon is very much known for making golf balls but less so for clubs. Anyone who is enlightened about golf and in the know is aware that Srixon makes wonderful clubs but if you show up at a course for league night with a bag full of Srixon clubs, you probably would be the only one. I honestly cant remember the last time I saw a Srixon club in person.
I think that you cant really use club prices as a determining factory because the markup and profit margins on golf clubs are ridiculous. Yes, there is a lot of money invest in the R&D and marketing of golf clubs but the cost to produce them is actually quite low. Its like that for most things though.
Its just like the $80 golf polo that you can buy which only cost the company about $5 to produce. 🤷‍♂️
The operating costs of building your stuff in China is very real though. Thats why most stuff nowdays is made there.

There are still a lot of forging houses in Japan. JDM products are a thing and maybe some of those Drivers are manufactured in Japan (Honma?)

Taiwan also has quite a bit of manufacturing as well. I believe I've seen some wedges made there. KBS has production in Taiwan as well.

There are still a lot of manufactured in the USA putters between boutique brands buying Blanks from US milling shops. Bettinardi makes stuff in the USA.

Metal woods I havent seen anything not labeled head made in China but I could be wrong here.

Grips if you go into a pro shop are made around the world but I've seen several golf pride grips labeled made in the US.

A lot of graphite shafts are made in Japan (MCA has a few lines) so I think you would be able to build a full bag with all the major components not branded made kn China.

There are still a lot of forging houses in Japan. JDM products are a thing and maybe some of those Drivers are manufactured in Japan (Honma?)

Taiwan also has quite a bit of manufacturing as well. I believe I've seen some wedges made there. KBS has production in Taiwan as well.

There are still a lot of manufactured in the USA putters between boutique brands buying Blanks from US milling shops. Bettinardi makes stuff in the USA.

Metal woods I havent seen anything not labeled head made in China but I could be wrong here.

Grips if you go into a pro shop are made around the world but I've seen several golf pride grips labeled made in the US.
One option if someone wanted a wood that wasnt made in China would be Louisville. Granted, you would be going back to a persimmon wood but its one option. Louisville used to make a 460cc persimmon driver but Ive personally never seen one. I think youd be really hard pressed to find woods that the heads were made in China though, especially if you want something that was made recently.

There is quite a bit of incomplete information in here, so let me see if I can help.
Assuming Vietnam doesn't count as China, some of the largest manufacturers in golf manufacture there. Both Callaway and TaylorMade do metal woods in Vietnam, and while not all heads are done there, quite a few are.

@JB should correct me if needed, but I believe all of UST Mamiya's graphite shafts are made in Bangladesh. I know for sure that the Recoil line is, and I think the same is true for the wood shafts as well.

I read elsewhere from Chris Voshell that many of Mizuno's irons that are forged in Japan are still sent to China for finishing, but I couldn't find if that was all of their iron heads or only some of the forged models.

Does Srixon do the same?

I read elsewhere from Chris Voshell that many of Mizuno's irons that are forged in Japan are still sent to China for finishing, but I couldn't find if that was all of their iron heads or only some of the forged models.

Does Srixon do the same?
Last I heard, Srixon's forgings were all done by Endo, which I believe would be either Japan or Thailand.

JB's right. Vietnam plays a large role I believe

Don't forget some of the small boutique putter makers aren't in China... they take billet stock and make putter heads in the US.

Thread revival. Can't believe I actually found one not too terribly old. I have been killing myself for a couple days trying to figure out, even flat out ask, where stuff is made. I get a lot of vague answers, I presume because they know what I'm looking for and they don't want to provide that particular country's name. But a list of everything NOT made in China would probably be smaller than 'is made', right? Taking Titleist out of the equation (because I'd never buy them) I'm seeing some promise I can buy something reasonable from a solid OEM like TM or Cally. I'm guessing Mizuno and Honma are obvious as well. Anyone have any newer info since April?

My new Cleveland wedges are made in Bangladesh.

Tour Edge says their clubs are "hand built" in the U.S.. However that might be the same as saying they are assembled in the U.S., with the parts coming from other parts of the world.

There is quite a bit of incomplete information in here, so let me see if I can help.
Assuming Vietnam doesn't count as China, some of the largest manufacturers in golf manufacture there. Both Callaway and TaylorMade do metal woods in Vietnam, and while not all heads are done there, quite a few are.
Hi JB . So question , if I was to go to Vietnam , would they be available to buy there , as in outlets etc ?or is it only closed loop and manufacture and supply , not sell to general public ?

Back