Cable companies - Cutting the cord

It's annoying that each of the streaming services have one or more channels or shows that I would like to watch but paying for more than one service is like having cable all over again, not to mention that every channel group is now trying to cash in on the streaming money.
That's the problem I have with it. It would be great if one company would let you choose a la carte channels and just charge you for those, but I don't want to have to subscribe to four or five different services just to get the channels we want - nor do I want to have to do the remote control gymnastics of switching around from service to service. By the time I pay for all those different subscriptions, it probably wouldn't be much (if any) less expensive than my DirecTV bill, and I'd still be losing Music Choice and a few other little niceties.

I had planned on switching to AT&T Now tomorrow but they just changed it and won’t be doing that now.

That's the problem I have with it. It would be great if one company would let you choose a la carte channels and just charge you for those, but I don't want to have to subscribe to four or five different services just to get the channels we want - nor do I want to have to do the remote control gymnastics of switching around from service to service. By the time I pay for all those different subscriptions, it probably wouldn't be much (if any) less expensive than my DirecTV bill, and I'd still be losing Music Choice and a few other little niceties.
Yes! The a la carte option would be awesome. I wouldn't have to skip through 50-100-150 channels to watch the ten I normally choose to watch. I did switch from dish to xfinity a couple years back because I now get faster internet and cable for what I was paying just for Dish but it's still expensive when I only use a few of the channels. Of course I have netflix and prime but I still don't have access to some of the programs I would like to watch because they are on Hulu or another service only.

I cut the cord in 2005, but I am actually paying more for streaming services now than I ever did for cable/satellite. I have a ton of them though. YouTube TV, Netflix, Hulu no ads, Amazon Prime (with HBO, Starz, Showtime, and Cinemax), and NHL.tv where I’m out of market for my favorite team and get to watch every game except nationally televised games.

I’d like to drop YouTubeTV, but my wife likes it.

I’ll probably be adding a Watch AFL (Australian Football League) subscription to the list when their new season starts up. Watched some games on YouTube a few years ago, and fell in love with the sport. WAY better than baseball as a summer spectator sport.

Major cable supplier here in Omaha is pretty sly. We originally had just internet for about $60 a month based on our “history” of internet/streaming use. But we blew through our bandwidth data cap pretty quickly. Had to add unlimited usage for additional $60 a month just to keep things working. With YTTV, we’re now slightly over $180 a month. Pretty close to their comparable channel plan for $200 a month. Even the free channels on Roku and my smart TV suck up bandwidth. We make sure we shut off WiFi and the cable modem at night. Every year after a price hike, I’ll go to the cable office and whine like a 2 year old complaining that I need a price break as a retiree. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Major cable supplier here in Omaha is pretty sly. We originally had just internet for about $60 a month based on our “history” of internet/streaming use. But we blew through our bandwidth data cap pretty quickly. Had to add unlimited usage for additional $60 a month just to keep things working. With YTTV, we’re now slightly over $180 a month. Pretty close to their comparable channel plan for $200 a month. Even the free channels on Roku and my smart TV suck up bandwidth. We make sure we shut off WiFi and the cable modem at night. Every year after a price hike, I’ll go to the cable office and whine like a 2 year old complaining that I need a price break as a retiree. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t.

Data cap is what made me drop Comcast internet. I have Centurylink 1gb up/down fiber with no data cap locked in at $85/mo for life now.

And I’ll use my psychic powers here to predict that in 5 years cable companies will rule the roost. You can have your Netflix, Disney, etc. but they will be add-on channels through your cable provider.

And I’ll use my psychic powers here to predict that in 5 years cable companies will rule the roost. You can have your Netflix, Disney, etc. but they will be add-on channels through your cable provider.

You think they’ll buy them out or just pay an overhead to have them?

Data cap is what made me drop Comcast internet. I have Centurylink 1gb up/down fiber with no data cap locked in at $85/mo for life now.
Yes, we have CL here but only 40 Mbps for $50. Don’t know if that’s a strong enough engine to power streaming two TVs, internet and other connected gadgets. Jealous of your deal.

Yes, we have CL here but only 40 Mbps for $50. Don’t know if that’s a strong enough engine to power streaming two TVs, internet and other connected gadgets. Jealous of your deal.

Thanks. I couldn’t jump on that fiber deal fast enough when I found out it was available to me.

You think they’ll buy them out or just pay an overhead to have them?
I don’t believe they will buy them out, but will strike a very attractive deal to host their media content (e.g. Netflix) on their cable platform. Just like HBO, Showtime as an add-on with our local cable provider. I found it odd that Sony dropped PSVue. We really enjoyed that service. Maybe Sony saw something in the tea leaves.

When I sit down and think about it, I hardly ever watch live tv anymore. Probably 90% of my viewing is streaming. Maybe I should think about saving some money.

Currently have Hulu Live but looking to switch to Sling as Hulu seems to keep raising prices.

Curious for you cord cutters, what do you use to watch golf on TV? do you subscribe to a golf channel app?

Curious for you cord cutters, what do you use to watch golf on TV? do you subscribe to a golf channel app?

That’s one nice thing on Hulu Live, golf channel is included

I have Hulu + Live TV for $64.99/mo
also Netflix and Prime

Finally cut the cord.

We have legitimate internet now that’s not weather effected, so moving to streaming all the way makes the most sense. Plus, we use like 10 channels of the massive directv package we have been paying for.

The fact that all major outlets are bringing solid ways of accessing their shows and sports are getting into the game more as well, it just made sense.

we have Hulu live. Includes 200 hours of VCR that I have set up to record all PGA and LPGA rounds and many other golf shows. Works great for us. About $77 a month

I've found it much easier to delete recordings in the app vs the tv

Anyone have Peacock premium? I see that it has golf, some football, and some hockey on there.
I may have it? I have Xfinity and I think it’s included.

Sounds like you really enjoy using it :ROFLMAO:
I thought maybe I just have the free version 🤷‍♂️ I watch soccer and golf on there and a few movies.

I tried to cut the cable, but learned that mine (Verizon) has new various options on channels to choose from now. Got a good mix (with all the sports channels) and still comes cheaper than purchasing all these various apps/channels.

Back