The Future of Golf Equipment: A.I. Tech vs 3D Printing vs.......?

PKorf

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
0-10
The last year or two specifically has proven to be the next "tech boom" in my opinion for the golf industry. Callaway proving that A.I. is the wave of the future and they are leading the movement. Then others trying to follow suit. Cobra showing they are light years (so to speak) ahead of other manufacturers in the 3D printing capabilities.....

Obviously, A.I. is leading the way right now and furthermore is ever changing right? That's literally the whole point. It never stops changing or evolving. Now, mix A.I. with other forms of golf tech and its hard to fathom where this progressively tech forward movement takes us in the next 2-5 years.....5-10 years....and beyond.

3-4 years ago everyone seemed to be saying, "there not a whole hell of a lot else you can do to change the golf club or ball". Obviously those people were wrong. I was one of them. Now im of the belief that im not sure that science and engineering have limits as to what they can do to have different, lasting affects on performance in various ways.

What say you? Wheres it go? If you think of where we were only a few short years ago.........its kind of mind bending to think where it might be only a few short years from now.

Last edited:
I do believe AI and 3D printing are big, but those two areas are probably extremely costly. The smaller companies probably don't have the bankrolls to completely jump in and get all the benefits right now.

As both technologies decrease in cost over the next few years, I could really see many of the smaller companies dive into the combination of 3D printing with AI components to building. Callaway and Cobra will be way ahead of all the others as the smaller companies dive into these.

I don't know if the golf ball has been part of the AI or 3D printing yet by any company, but I think that would be a really interesting area to see how that works, especially the AI with designing.

I don't know if the golf ball has been part of the AI or 3D printing yet by any company, but I think that would be a really interesting area to see how that works, especially the AI with designing.

Totally agree. The cost factor provides a terrible amount of hoolahoops for smaller manufacturers. AI in the golf ball making process just makes sense to me. Maybe its already happening and we dont know it. But i would think that would be something a company would want to highlight.

I have a feeling that 3D printing will be more widely accessible and used by companies in the coming years. I can't imagine true A.I. using supercomputers is something that most brands are able, or even willing to spend money on.

The more I think about it the more I think 3D printing will be more impactful. You have to give it to Callaway for their AI use and the impact it has made but so far performance of other brands clubs are right up there with Callaway. In that case is AI worth the investment?

I know 3D printing is still expensive but it seems like the price on something like that could drop sooner over time. The printing seems like it could have so many applications and benefits for prototypes and future products for every single company.

I have a feeling that 3D printing will be more widely accessible and used by companies in the coming years. I can't imagine true A.I. using supercomputers is something that most brands are able, or even willing to spend money on.

This is very true.
Some brands are getting creative with the wording and some blogs are running with it, which is pretty funny. As far as I know, and I have checked around quite a bit, only one has purchased a super computer and is using AI for creation. Make it better? Up for golfers to decide.

I feel like the move will be to nearly completely custom clubs - instead of sets. For example, based on specs, swing speed, plane, contact point etc, shafts, heads, head weights, even interior head weighting could all be custom made for an individual golfer.... we will see though obviously - I'm thinking waaaaay down the road.

I have put this in another thread at a time. I have a huge fascination with 3d printing. I think it is the future. For lots of areas. I've done a ton of research on it and specifically related to home building. We are close to it being much more widely available. I think golf is for sure an industry that will go there.

I still think at some point I will go to a fitting and the results of the fitting will be used to create instructions for a 3D printed set of heads. I just don't know whether that will be in 3 or 13 or 30 years. Well, I'd be delighted to be playing in 30 years, but I think I make the point.

There is some potential to use 3D printing to improve performance of the ball and the shaft, as well, primarily because random nonuniformities will be greatly decreased. Most of any variation that will be in those components will be there by design.

There is still a lot to be said for computer programming and running simulations for design - it's how most products are developed now. Add in 3D printing, and we are seeing the future. I think the next biggest steps we will witness here is in 3D modelling; in both items that can be created, but also the medium in which it will be made. I don't think we are too far off from seeing carbon fibre modelling become mainstream. It's not really that much different than heat moldable plastics, in my opinion.

There is still a lot to be said for computer programming and running simulations for design - it's how most products are developed now. Add in 3D printing, and we are seeing the future. I think the next biggest steps we will witness here is in 3D modelling; in both items that can be created, but also the medium in which it will be made. I don't think we are too far off from seeing carbon fibre modelling become mainstream. It's not really that much different than heat moldable plastics, in my opinion.
You are smarter than me. I’m ok with with it cause that’s fascinating lol

You are smarter than me. I’m ok with with it cause that’s fascinating lol
Haha, I'm not sure about smart. I'm just like you - I find this stuff very interesting and like to read about it!

I don't know but I'm mighty glad to be along for the ride.

I think you will see more/different materials being used. Right now, it's a carbon thing, but how long will it last until something better, stronger, lighter is going to be used.

I think you will see more/different materials being used. Right now, it's a carbon thing, but how long will it last until something better, stronger, lighter is going to be used.
different comparison obvisouly. But youre right. Heck.....look at what kinds of materials are being used in clothing now.

AI is a company name isnt it? not actually artificial intelligence? lets check those facts...

AI is a company name isnt it? not actually artificial intelligence? lets check those facts...
Not aura that’s accurate. Are you saying AI does t exist in golf clubs?

I'll go with 3D printing, because that allows for super rapid prototyping and also creation of some designs that aren't otherwise possible. Plus, 90% of what is conveyed as AI is actually just straightforward computer algorithms and AI as a topic is wildly overhyped by the tech world.

I'll go with 3D printing, because that allows for super rapid prototyping and also creation of some designs that aren't otherwise possible. Plus, 90% of what is conveyed as AI is actually just straightforward computer algorithms and AI as a topic is wildly overhyped by the tech world.
In some cases, yes, in what Callaway is doing, nope. That is honest to goodness learning and evolving supercomputer driven AI. Sadly, others are trying to use that (AI) as a “hot” term and say they are too....they aren’t.

Last edited:

Interesting perspective. About 10-12 years ago, "nanotechnology" was the hot buzzword, especially if you were in advanced materials or semiconductors. By most definitions of nano, the chemical industry is all nano technologym, on a massively parallel scale.

I think the next big thing in golf equipment will be less expensive personal launch monitors and data gathering for better fitting.

We are already starting to that with Arccos, Shot Scope, and Flightscope Mevo. I think this will continue to get better to the point that less expensive devices in the future will have tech like the GCQuad.

As for clubs. 3D printing and other manufacturing techniques will continue to be implemented. I really thing addictive manufacturing with A.I. assisted design is the future for a lot of products.

I think 3d printing and other manufacturing/material innovations will be more of a driver than AI. AI assistance helps generate designs exponentially faster, but its ceiling is ultimately what materials and methods are available to design with

New technology in 3d printing will be created to lower the cost thus bringing it to the mass market.

Back