I still don’t get it. I was asked specifically to give my opinion and I gave it. I would not make concessions for small improvements to sound because sound is critical to me.

I didn’t make a blanket statement and I didn’t tell people not to experience it for themselves. Since when has THP devolved into a place where personal perspective on a product is met with eye rolls?

Lots of eye rolls from THP staff on member comments throughout the forum. Seem to remember several last week with respect to a take on driver color.

100% this. sound and feel are absolutely important and opinions are great, but i'd like to hear it for myself whether that's on a review or in-person. and i also very much care about ball speed, spin, launch, dispersion, etc. i remember when thp got the high heat knuth in hand, and even though by all accounts that thing may have been one of the loudest drivers ever, there was a lot of talk about performance. i would like to know a lot more about performance of this line, not just its sound. it sounds like we will see a deep dive of all clubs hit during the showcase sometime soon.
Info will be coming as we have done plenty of testing. I said earlier the performance is there as launch and spin was on par with other heads, I’ve tested this week. However for me I had a hard time getting the Ping heads squared at impact for whatever reason. The Max was better for me based on numbers but I wouldn’t game it based on sound alone when there are other options that perform the same or better 🤷🏻‍♂️

Lots of eye rolls from THP staff on member comments throughout the forum. Seem to remember several last week with respect to a take on driver color.
This comment is inappropriate and frankly I don’t eye roll anyone so if I take the brunt of something like that, it seems incredibly unfair and not THPer like.

if you have a problem with someone please reach out to a staff member or utilize the report feature, there is no need to take it out on others.

Info will be coming as we have done plenty of testing. I said earlier the performance is there as launch and spin was on par with other heads, I’ve tested this week. However for me I had a hard time getting the Ping heads squared at impact for whatever reason. The Max was better for me based on numbers but I wouldn’t game it based on sound alone when there are other options that perform the same or better 🤷🏻‍♂️

definitely understandable. when all else is equal, sound/feel, looks, cool factor, and other non-performance aspects totally matter for a lot of people. personally, 400 max may not have been the best sounding/feeling or looking head, but it beat out everything for me and it wasn't close. but when i tested the 400, it was close to but just a bit behind the epic so i went with the epic because it looked and sounded better.

definitely understandable. when all else is equal, sound/feel, looks, cool factor, and other non-performance aspects totally matter for a lot of people. personally, 400 max may not have been the best sounding/feeling or looking head, but it beat out everything for me and it wasn't close. but when i tested the 400, it was close to but just a bit behind the epic so i went with the epic because it looked and sounded better.
Agreed. If performance is that much better you have to consider gaming it. If it’s not play what you like

This comment is inappropriate and frankly I don’t eye roll anyone so if I take the brunt of something like that, it seems incredibly unfair and not THPer like.

if you have a problem with someone please reach out to a staff member or utilize the report feature, there is no need to take it out on others.

I don’t think there was any need to publicly call out an individual member for an eye roll either. That also seems inappropriate.

For mere mortals, like myself, we probably aren’t trading the longest and straightest driver based on sound alone. That’s what I understood him to mean.

Agreed. If performance is that much better you have to consider gaming it. If it’s not play what you like
Definitely, and no one here on THP will ever tell someone what to enjoy or not to enjoy, never have and never will.

That said, with the clubs coming out now, it’s hard to sacrifice something when there are options out there where you don’t.

I’m a long time PING driver player, even getting over the sounds of previous models (with some hotmelt help) and playing them well, but I know for me this one is on another level sound wise.

It’s part of the conversation, and it should be, and everyone is entitled to their takes, but we have to be willing to accept and understand those takes may not align with someone else’s.

MOI is a pretty hard thing to quantify in ball and club data performance. Especially with their being an amount of diminishing returns.
I think the testing showed it has decent performance. Not the fastest we have tested, but pretty good and not the most forgiving we have seen, but pretty darn good there too. Its a solid performer for sure, with a sound that is rather unique to the marketplace.

Curious. Which drivers were more forgiving?

The last couple of pages of this thread are exactly why I hardly bother with reviews LOL. It may be loud, it may not be. At the end of the day, it’s down to folk to try it for themselves and decide whether the driver is loud or obnoxious.

Curious. Which drivers were more forgiving?

Im going to compile some data on this, but genuinely it comes down to location of impact. Some areas the G425 Max excelled, low on the face it wasn't particularly strong, but I will make sure to get everything together and share at some point.

It’s part of the conversation, and it should be, and everyone is entitled to their takes, but we have to be willing to accept and understand those takes may not align with someone else’s.

i totally agree. and there are so many great options right now, that one can find something that checks almost every box that is important to them. personally, i'm ok to give up feel and sound for superior performance in a driver (to a point). i'm looking forward to getting some data on how you guys fared with this lineup.

I can respect that. I prefer to only play Ping but if I wasnt so OCD on it, I would change to something else if the sound really bothered me. From what I can tell after hitting the TSi3 and another one thats unreleased, is that there are some VERY GOOD drivers coming out. I'm just happy to think I'm not giving up anything (maybe sound :ROFLMAO:) by gaming this. At the end of the day, what I want to see is dispersion on good strikes, toe strikes, high/low on the face, heel strikes, etc because to me thats what matters. Looks, sound, marketing, its all meh to me.

So ball speeds are in the average range, forgiveness is variable depending on location of face being used, sound is likely at the far end of the bell curve for loudness???

Out of curiosity... it seems these days that oems genuinely want user and site/forum feedback.

Does THP have the opportunity to communicate such things like poor driver sound back to the oem in a form of constructive criticism ?

If so, has this been brought to Ping’s attention and if so, how was it received?

So ball speeds are in the average range, forgiveness is variable depending on location of face being used, sound is likely at the far end of the bell curve for loudness???
"Far end of the bell curve" is being pretty friendly. If we were discussing this on the range somewhere my exact words would be "Dude this thing sounds like sh**!"

Just my opinion, and I usually like a little volume out of the big stick.

For anyone that isn’t a fan of the sound of the G425 Max, a little Hotmelt in the head will easily take care of it. Ping will do that as well. I did it quite often with the G400 Max to get the sound and spin in a little tighter spot.

For anyone that isn’t a fan of the sound of the G425 Max, a little Hotmelt in the head will easily take care of it. Ping will do that as well. I did it quite often with the G400 Max to get the sound and spin in a little tighter spot.
Problem is, their head is already than one of the heaviest out there, if not THE heaviest.

What is with all the Ping bashing?

I’m gaming the G425 LST now. Played the G410 LST most of the last two seasons with the occasional outing with a SIM of Honma 440. I really enjoy the G425 LST a lot. I do need to revisit the shaft I’m going to play as I may try a little longer driver shaft this season. Right now, it’s looking like the Speeder EVO 7 or Diamana TB but I’m waiting on two Ventus Reds to come in for further testing.

I’m a big Ping fan and I don’t view it as Ping bashing. People I respect here are saying this driver launch has a very loud sound signature that is offputting to them. I don’t recall anyone saying “don’t buy it” or “ it stinks.” They are saying they think there are options that offer the performance but aren’t nearly as loud. It’s part of the overall assessment that makes THP what it is. Any evaluation that didn’t note the outlier of a sound would be incomplete. Some people will not be bothered by the sound and others will be repulsed. The same is true of, say, neon colored grips. I’ll pick a little on @Jman here. His reviews have led me to many of the clubs that have been in my bag since joining THP. But I haven’t bought any club he recommended without trying it first.

EDIT: it’s probably unfair to say @Jman “recommends” clubs. But he has gushed about quite a few and in my case he is uncannily accurate in describing how a club works in my game.

Last edited:
I am not a huge fan of the sound of the G425 Max, but as I said a few comments ago, that is a non issue for me or any of my golfers. It’s an easy fix and also gives us a little more customization in the end.

I was able to get back to the golf store after work today. Hit both the LST and Max. Still getting solid numbers on GC4 out of both with my mishits on the LST suffering more. But the dispersion on the max is still what has me sold. Im excited to get on a course with this and see real life results.

I was curious since I asked my question earlier and hit a bunch of Ping drivers. My G and G400 have hot melt so I didn't bring them. The guys at the shop and myself had some fun comparing the different sounds to what they had in demos and used clubs. I know this is extremely subjective but IMHO I think it goes G400 - G425 LST - G410 LST - G410 - G400 max - G425 max - Ping G in loudness to me. I think the G and the G425 are about equal but the G just sounded more harsh to me. The guys at the shop were all in-between the G400 max, G and G425 in which sounded the most loud. Lots of fun and wanted to share what I found since the sound aspect has really been talked about. I do think if you play Ping Drivers regularly from the G30 to now you won't care. If you bounce between manufacturers and different clubs then I would probably say it would bother you a little bit more.

Hit em straight!

Out of curiosity... it seems these days that oems genuinely want user and site/forum feedback.

Does THP have the opportunity to communicate such things like poor driver sound back to the oem in a form of constructive criticism ?

If so, has this been brought to Ping’s attention and if so, how was it received?

Of course and it already has been communicated. In fact spoken to someone there quite a bit the last 3 days about the entire line.

Easily fixed by using a lighter weight in therear of the driver.
I wouldn’t say easily, but would agree upon potentially

Back