Blind Ball Testing Review Thread

It is!!!! Can’t wait to read @JB drop in the morning!

I'm curious to see if they come in yellow. Marjorie wants to get a dozen to try out since they performed so well for her and she's a yellow ball player, although she said she would be willing to play them in white if she had to 🤣

Mine arrived, so I guess I'll get to read about them before I smack 'em around. Raining buckets tonight and tomorrow. Curious to hear some details but also not. Might skip it until after first time out with them.

Saw this on my Twitter feed.

Bet we get a lot more in detail later this morning.

The New Bridgestone E12 Contact.

Finished up my last test ball Saturday. I played 9 and lost it on hole 8 so I finally got an extended run with it. I have been hitting the ball really well lately so I feel like I had a good handle on the ball. First off for a softer ball this thing launches pretty high. I was getting some really high launching drives with this ball. It has a nice feel off the face when struck well. With the carbon crowned B21 and this soft ball it feels and sounds like the ball just pops. Hard to say on the greens since we are firmly in dormant fuzzy green season around here but there is not a ton of check on these. I don't expect it but it would be nice. I would definitely need to not use my PW as much around the green with this ball as I could not depend on it to check on my courses tiny greens. As far as distance goes this one has all the distance I could ask for. I couldn't tell any difference between it and the other balls as far as distance was concerned. This ball may have helped reduce some side spin. I would have to test a lot longer than this, but it felt like my high fade was a little higher and less fady than normal. Hope this was helpful.

Bridgestone Ball Testing - Driver

I wanted to continue the testing as I moved up my bag and tested my driver and a hybrid. I mainly looked at ball speed, spin, and carry distance for these two clubs. I am going to review the Driver on this post.

I am using the Tour Edge EXS Driver and the Callaway Mavrik Driver, both set at 10.5 and have the same length shaft of 43" I hit 5 shots with each driver to see if there were any differences. First five with Mavrik and the second with Tour Edge

View attachment 8989821

As I have and others have mentioned the Bridgestone Ball is a lower spinning ball. Looking at my averages the swing speed and ball speed were very similar, however, as you can see the spin numbers for the Bridgestone Test Ball were consistently lower. The average overall spin on the Bridgestone ball tended to be from 340 to almost 500 RPMs lower. Also, looking at my carry numbers and I see the Bridgestone Ball with the same average Ball Speed and Club Head Speed provided a carry distance from 7 to 11 yards longer.

Another interesting data point was the data point showing how often I would have hit the fairway. I generally don't play huge fairways at my public course and being in the fairway for the second shot we all know can be the difference between scoring well or poorly on the hole. Assuming a 40-yard fairway (20 on each side from the middle), I would have hit the fairway on 6 of the 10 drives using the Bridgestone. The Callaway had 2 out of 10 drives, the Titleist had 4 out of 10 drives, and the TaylorMade also had only 2 out of 10 drives hit the fairway. My normal drive to fairway ratio with Arccos is 36.5%. The Bridgestone Test Ball performed exceptionally well in this area.

Looking at the launch angle, spin numbers, carry distance, and the number of times I hit the fairway, I can see that this ball is looking very promising toward my game.
I bet my numbers would be nearly identical to yours. I felt like the ERC and Bridgestone were the highest launching of the 4 balls for sure and they felt very similar off the clubhead. It's funny how similar the Tour Speed and Tour Response perform so similarly. The Tour Response feels so much better I would choose it over that Titleist ball 10 times out of 10.

I'm curious to see if they come in yellow. Marjorie wants to get a dozen to try out since they performed so well for her and she's a yellow ball player, although she said she would be willing to play them in white if she had to 🤣
They will!!! Time to pick up a dozen for her!

I bet my numbers would be nearly identical to yours. I felt like the ERC and Bridgestone were the highest launching of the 4 balls for sure and they felt very similar off the clubhead. It's funny how similar the Tour Speed and Tour Response perform so similarly. The Tour Response feels so much better I would choose it over that Titleist ball 10 times out of 10.

Based on my launch monitor numbers the Bridgestone launched higher with the driver than the ERC and was the highest of all the balls off the driver. Off the irons the wedges had about the same height and with a 7i the Tour Speed was lower but the other three balls were about the same height.

Based on my launch monitor numbers the Bridgestone launched higher with the driver than the ERC and was the highest of all the balls off the driver. Off the irons the wedges had about the same height and with a 7i the Tour Speed was lower but the other three balls were about the same height.
Yeah, I got to play 9 Saturday with the Bridgestone and it was high launching. Maybe too high for me off the driver.

Yeah, I got to play 9 Saturday with the Bridgestone and it was high launching. Maybe too high for me off the driver.

For me it was only a few feet. The lowest ball for me off the driver was 62 feet on average the Bridgestone was 73 feet.

Bridgestone E12 Contact Testing - Hybrid

As we all know now the Mystery Ball is the new Bridgestone E12 Contact with a specially designed dimple pattern to increase contact with our driver and irons to help with distance and to keep the ball flying straighter than other balls at the same price point.

When I tested my Driver this is exactly the data a saw after testing. I was consistently seeing higher carry distance and straighter lines from the tee. So, in continuing my testing I wanted to move to a hybrid. As I am also testing out a new hybrid with Tour Edge I was excited to see how the numbers would work for my swing. On previous tests, I continued to notice that my spin numbers were considerably lower with the Bridgestone E12 versus the other balls tested and I was very interested to see if this trend would continue with the hybrid.

Club used was the Tour Edge 5 hybrid at 25 degrees.

Ball Testing Hybrid.PNG

I will be talking about the Tour Edge clubs and damn the EXS is an impressive lineup for Tour Edge Driver down to the wedges. But more on that in a different post. The biggest question I had was "would I see the same consistency and distance I saw off my driver?". Surprisingly, the Bridgestone actually had more spin off the 5 Hybrid than the other three balls tested. I did not see those same numbers off my other clubs, so more testing is needed, but I was hitting the 5 hybrid solid for each of the balls tested.

Areas of note:
I had a bit higher spin and a higher launch and decent angle with the Bridgestone versus the other balls. Again, the Bridgestone is a much softer feeling ball and to some, you will need to decide on what your preference is when you hit a solid strike. The ball feels very soft like it almost isn't there when I hit it pure. Similar to the ERC for me, whereas I can always feel the contact of the Titleist Tour Speed.

The sound is very pleasing to me on contact, as I like the softer sound versus a higher-pitched with other golf balls.

I am not a high speed player nor have high spin numbers off my irons and wedges, and with that said, I found the Bridgestone e12 Ball to have good durability with the face after hitting the ball many many times. I generally can play a ball for multiple rounds without being too concerned with replacing for wear. The same goes for the Bridgestone e12. I could easily play this ball multiple rounds before having to replace it due to wear. I would probably lose the ball before replacing because of wear.

I am going to purchase a full dozen of the new Bridgestone e12 Contact balls to get full details throughout the next month once released as finding the correct ball for my game is one of my goals for 2021

Here is the picture of the results from testing for Bridgestone, but as the testing is going to continue I will keep updating.

IMG_2905.jpg

I haven't read through this thread because I don't want my review to be tainted by anyone else's thoughts.

First off, I just want to say what a cool opportunity this was. To get a dozen balls from 4 different manufacturers in the mail to try and and test for free?? Can't beat it.

Of the 3 "competitor" balls I received, the one that is closest to my normal ball was the Taylormade Tour Response. I loved the old Project (a) balls and this one was similar. I haven't played the Titleist Tour Speed before and only rarely have I played the Callaway ERC.

I played 9 holes on Saturday afternoon with my kids. I decided to play 2 balls on each hole to really compare. I started with a Titleist Tour Speed and a Taylormade Tour Response because I have a tendency to yank my first drive into the range and I didn't want to lose the mystery ball. :eek: Both drives were good and within a few yards of each other on distance.

On the next hole, I put the Mystery ball down with the Titleist Tour Speed. I hit very solid drives with both balls, dare I even say I crushed them? Right in the center of the face, both felt great. Both launched high, the Mystery ball launching a little higher. But the Mystery ball was easily 30-40 yards short of the Titleist Tour Speed. I thought maybe I didn't hit it as solidly as I thought. :unsure: I had 194 left to the pin on the Mystery ball. I pulled a long iron and smoked it 184 yard, a great strike. Again, a little short of what I expected. Tour Speed was about where I thought it would be distance wise.

Next I put Mystery Ball up against the ERC. I hit 3 wood for both off the tee. Both felt good, but again the Mystery ball was short. This time about 20 yards, but it wasn't the best strike. I did hit the flag with the Mystery ball from 150 out. Straight as an arrow. I pulled the ERC left. :rolleyes:

On the next hole, I again pulled driver for the ERC vs. Mystery ball. Two more good shots, but both leaking a little right. Both launched high. The Mystery ball was straighter than the ERC, but again about 40 yards short. That's a massive distance gap. On approach, the Mystery ball came down soft on the green and left me with a manageable 2 putt. The ERC I hit pin high, but in the left rough. Didn't get much check on the chip and it rolled out 10 feet past.

I won't go through the rest of the holes, but here's my takeaways from 9 holes vs. the competition.

Drives:
- Mystery Ball launches high and feels great off the driver. Unfortunately it was significantly shorter than each of the other 3 balls for me. I even put it up against one of my current balls, the Chrome Soft. Still shorter. But it was a very straight ball, reminiscent of the old e6.

Approach: launches high again and lands soft. Not a lot of roll out, probably because of the steep angle of decent.

Chips: not a lot of check, but not excessive roll out. Something that can be adjusted for.

Putter: Feels really nice off the putter. Very similar feel to the ERC for me. However, I still prefer a urethan ball like the Tour Response.

Conclusion: its a high launching, straight-flying ball, but simply too short for my game.

Putting Test: 10 putts @ 4’, 7’, 10’ each (putts made @ each)
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0S 455g head

Bridgestone - Liked the feel personally would consider this the best of the bunch as far as the sound and feel. Had a duller sound with nice release off of the face an had a more solid feel on contact with the putter as it felt like a “fuller” ball if that makes sense. (10/10/10)

TaylorMade - Came in second in my testing personally. It feels much like the Bridgestone but has nearly the same pitch in sound but doesn’t feel quite the same off the putter with a “hotter” release. (10/10/10)

Titleist - Third in testing had a louder click and felt like it was more solid than the Callaway. Alignment was a plus but feel being the deciding factor wasn’t a fan. (10/10/10)

Callaway - Fourth in my personal tests as it was ”clicky” like the Titleist but felt hollow or almost like it was an overall lighter ball off the face. The triple track also felt like a distraction this from a Truvis fan. (10/10/8)

Sound: (Loudest to Quite)
1a. Bridgestone
1b. TaylorMade
3. Callaway
4. Titleist

Feel: (Soft to Hard)
1. Bridgestone
2. TaylorMade
3. Callaway
4. Titleist

Alignment:
Bridgestone - N/A
Callaway-D89081D4-DF89-419F-8DD7-5629590C97BC.jpeg
TaylorMade - D0AC423F-C679-4EA7-AB8A-F1B408E4620C.jpeg
Titleist - 252616AE-132F-4B54-B35F-BAAEF3B9D162.jpeg

I did get out Saturday with these and will share some thoughts soon.

Received mine today!

IMG_20210125_132758.jpg
They are here!

Attachments

• IMG_20210125_140318.jpg
    IMG_20210125_140318.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 13
heading to Coastal Indoor Golf this evening w/ @mmaynard11 and another buddy to get some full swings in. Looking forward to checking this place out, first time visiting, and seeing how the balls stack up. Bringing a few gamers as well to see if there is a swing in results.

Just a little ball testing on the Trackman with @troyefl
AD5F1B71-0788-4F63-8A04-E89502E8CE9E.jpeg

Just a little ball testing on the Trackman with @troyefl
View attachment 8990460
Club head speed was fire today, smash factor was ice cold with the driver.

Should stick to 4 irons and 9 irons. Waiting for some of the trackman stats to come back from Coastal.

Enjoyed the balls, nothing stood out significantly other than my driver was not going anywhere and was not the balls fault.

Got really solid 9i distances from all four balls. Better feeling than I anticipated. Accoustics indoors were tough to gauge.

Had fun with the @mmaynard11 & my buddy David. Bryan at Coastal Golf was great. Helped get us set up, even let us stay a bit longer and have a little closest to the pin competition on hole 7 of Pebble and some free beers. Will def be back.

Will follow up with more once I see trackman data.

Tried not to pay too close of attention to the numbers in here until I hit the new ball, but there's quite a bit of data by now. I should get my first chance to test them on Thursday, and know how 2 of the balls perform for me already, so instead of adding to the data load I think I might mostly test them side by side on course with my usual evaluation shots, and then maybe pull just the Bridgestone inside to test. Should be fun, but looks like soggy and 45*. Easy carry evals at least.

Tried not to pay too close of attention to the numbers in here until I hit the new ball, but there's quite a bit of data by now. I should get my first chance to test them on Thursday, and know how 2 of the balls perform for me already, so instead of adding to the data load I think I might mostly test them side by side on course with my usual evaluation shots, and then maybe pull just the Bridgestone inside to test. Should be fun, but looks like soggy and 45*. Easy carry evals at least.
Yes it's a little soggy out there. I had planned on hitting on the simulator after my fitting today, but they were doing lessons so it wasn't available. I will do the same, an on course evaluation between the balls. Otherwise it's a hour + to a launch monitor.

Heavy rains last weekend then snow today. Here’s hoping for better weather this weekend - I want to put the ball to the test on the course

A bit late to the party, but my package arrived late Monday. Yesterday we got a snow storm (yes, it does actually snow in Tucson from time to time) so couldn't get them out. Today I'm stuck at work so probably be Friday before I get any chance to get these outside.

By now we all know what the Mystery ball is but I'll still run through my testing as planned. Hopefully it will provide some additional data for anyone that wants to compare these to other balls at a similar price point.

I think we were given the other balls to test the Mystery Ball v. The Industry leaders in this price point.

I think the the Q-Star Tour should have been included because it’s a great ball in this price point.

I’m all for more balls to test. The one thing I have done is compared it to my ball, the TourB RX. It wasn’t part of the test and I was trying to get the most out of my 3 1 hour Trackman Sessions. My good golfing kid that also tested it, he did put it up against his ball , TourB XS and the XS is by far the best out of the five for him, but he needs a little spin help. I have the opposite problem, thus the RX.

I don’t think it’ll kick the RX out of my bag, but it’ll be a reasonable alternative for early/late season golf and if the clubhouse is out of my preferred ball (this is ‘rona time, supply chain issues everywhere).

Back