I am Freaking Out. Talk me off the cliff.

It happened to me during my early 60's when I began to notice a decline in athleticism. I am 75 with a completely different technique and a swing similar to somebody in their 20s (so I was recently told ). For me it was all about technique.

I was at 100 mph and 150 ball speed with driver in December. To struggle to have speed of a little over 90 was shocking to me.

I am happy to read of your progress.

It can be just mechanics. If you started swinging with the arms and aren't getting a good wrist hinge and release, you're going to lose a ton of speed.

I'll be 65 in 3 months. My swing speed has absolutely decreased from 15 years ago. I wasn't a consistent hitter back then but I could boom an occasional 300 yard drive if I hit it straight. The past couple years my good drives were in the 230-240 range.

Lately my swing speed has increased. All I do is swing the driver as hard as I possibly can on the practice swings before I hit the ball. At the range I take 3 practice swings. The first one at 50 percent speed. The second at 75 percent. The 3rd as fast as humanly possible for me. I want to hear a good "whoosh!" when I swing that last one. Then I hit the ball. I guess the muscle memory has increased the swing speed. Been using that swing for the past few months. The last round I finished with drives that went 260/280/270 on the last 3 driving holes. I'm not sure if that approach would be recommended but its been working for me.

If it makes you feel any better I was down about 7 mph in swing speed today after 3 months of winter. It can go very quickly if you aren’t using those muscles

No, as recently as early December, my ball speed with the driver was at 150, and swing speed was 100. This has just come out of nowhere pretty much, and I don’t ever remember experiencing it previously. It got me thinking about our favorite athletes who seem to lose their game instantaneously almost, and it felt freaky. I am hopeful, as so many have mentioned that it is a rust thing.

It will come back! I lose about 5 mph of speed every winter for the last decade or so but it comes back within a few weeks once I start-up in the spring. IMO, swinging a club 100 times a day will help, and doing the SuperSpeed workout for 4-6 weeks can get you swinging 5-10 mph faster.

I just got back from AZ and played more golf in 5 days than I have total since we got our first big snowstorm back on October 19th. I was longer by 15+ yards with the driver after a few days of playing than I was when I arrived. Saturday, the first hole was downhill 530 yards, and I was able to get it to pin high in two with driver, 3 iron(19 degrees). My buddies in the group are all 55-58 years old and we were a bit sore on the 3rd & 4th days but all of us were hitting it better and farther than the first day. We played 18, 40, 36, 31, and 32 holes Wednesday through Sunday. :)

It will come back! I lose about 5 mph of speed every winter for the last decade or so but it comes back within a few weeks once I start-up in the spring. IMO, swinging a club 100 times a day will help, and doing the SuperSpeed workout for 4-6 weeks can get you swinging 5-10 mph faster.

I just got back from AZ and played more golf in 5 days than I have total since we got our first big snowstorm back on October 19th. I was longer by 15+ yards with the driver after a few days of playing than I was when I arrived. Saturday, the first hole was downhill 530 yards, and I was able to get it to pin high in two with driver, 3 iron(19 degrees). My buddies in the group are all 55-58 years old and we were a bit sore on the 3rd & 4th days but all of us were hitting it better and farther than the first day. We played 18, 40, 36, 31, and 32 holes Wednesday through Sunday. :)
That is a lot of golf, my friend.

I would chalk it up to just not swinging regularly.
They don't call it mid season form for nothing!
This. 100% this. I’m not 60 but I know that when I start playing again for the year there is some major ground to make up as far as swing speed goes... it’ll come back, at least a bit. Always does.

I was in for a lesson yesterday evening and it was evident what is going on, other than rust. My turn is pathetic and I am not getting back through the swing onto my left side well at all. I was seeing significant improvement by the end of the lesson.

One of the great lessons in this is how quickly we lose flexibility in our bodies as the years go by. I am definitely going to stop talking about working on flexibility and really get after it.

Last edited:
One of the great lessons in this is how quickly we lose flexibility in our bodies as the years go by. I am definitely to stop talking about working on flexibility and really get after it.

I hear you and second you on the loss of flexibility. I haven't picked up a club since my last round in November. I don't think I could make a complete swing right now. With it being winter and me not being comfortable with going to the gym. it has affected my ability to establish a workout routine.

I have arbitrarily chosen Monday (because it's a Holiday) to begin a flexibility routine. Still probably have a good 6 weeks before season starts here. I want to start some lessons at the beginning of the season. I need to establish some flexibility.

Good luck with your progress. As someone of a similar age, I know exactly what you are experiencing.

I hear you and second you on the loss of flexibility. I haven't picked up a club since my last round in November. I don't think I could make a complete swing right now. With it being winter and me not being comfortable with going to the gym. it has affected my ability to establish a workout routine.

I have arbitrarily chosen Monday (because it's a Holiday) to begin a flexibility routine. Still probably have a good 6 weeks before season starts here. I want to start some lessons at the beginning of the season. I need to establish some flexibility.

Good luck with your progress. As someone of a similar age, I know exactly what you are experiencing.
The problem is definitely connected to COVID. I had a very good routine of going into the gym during lunch and I stopped in the spring of last year. Rather than find a good substitute, I fell into a bad habit of little focused exercise. It was a big mistake.

Good luck with your regimen. New habits are hard to make, at least for me.

Know your pain. Ill be 71. My swing speed has been in low 70s, but I always had a more around the body swing. Changed that with the thought" the body turns and raise th arms' As a result, my hands are much higher on the backswing. Work out daily, weights and core exercises help. Now Im in the low 90s swing speed and driver distance went from 170 to 220-240. If healthy, the off season work pays off. Hang in.

63 here and faced same dilema and working out hard at gym to get some back. Went with an inch longer club and lighter shaft. It is coming back. You will do so I am sure.

I called my demise a bit early. 😂. I was hitting my expected yardage fine today. I even had a couple of drives over 300 yards. I am breathing a sigh of relief.

I called my demise a bit early. 😂. I was hitting my expected yardage fine today. I even had a couple of drives over 300 yards. I am breathing a sigh of relief.

Remember age is just a number. Happy to hear that all is well as far as distance for you.

Just bought some supplements to try

I think there is something to this after 10 days of usage. Now if I had a woman in my life to really test it.:LOL: (okay-bad joke)

:censored:

Your stamina may vary.:oops: But you want all of those workouts to make a difference, so there is that.

Last edited:
I think there is something to this after 10 days of usage. Now if I had a woman in my life to really test it.:LOL:
(okay-bad joke)

Your stamina may vary. But you want all of those workouts to make a difference, so there is that.

;) Yes, I know. But I've tried a lot of supplements and don't want to inject testosterone. At 66 yrs, I want something natural to promote T growth as well as diet, exercise and sleep.

Last edited:
From 2019-2020, I lost a club length over the winter. Never got it back. Turned 55 in 2020.

Father Time is undefeated

Went from playing around 130 CHS with driver in early 2018 to playing around 105 today. 130 isn’t happening likely ever again. Can still hit 115 but launch is such a crapshow I don’t even mess with it. I’ll take a steady 250-290 depending on conditions.

My check was CHS not hitting ball - that was my normal speed. Coach said you are doing something in your swing to manipulate the club. Sent video, he told me to delay downswing a bit as I was rushing to catch up. Back to normal. Surprised it made that large a difference in clubhead speed. He mentioned a lot of golfers have that - fluid with out hitting ball, as soon as the ball is there swing changes.

In February 2020 (I was 59), I went to a local golf shop promotional sale day and they were running a closest to the pin contest on one of their sims. Since it was winter, I hadn't picked up a club since October 2019.

Anyway, it was a 155 yard shot with no wind. My normal distance for that would be an AP2 7 iron (which I hit on average 158) and the clubs available were TM 760's (I think?), so I selected an 8 iron (I was thinking because of loft jacking should be close to an older 7).

Long story short, my best shot with that thing was about 110 yards, a loss of around 45 yards. I wasn't feeling too happy to say the least.

But then spring came, and I had all my old yardage back after 2 range sessions. So, I wouldn't worry about it too much, your distance should come back once you get back into the groove again.

On the SuperSpeed system I actually talked with Darren Clarke about it at a Champion’s Tour event a couple of years ago after I saw him using it and he said it definitely works. I have one but unfortunately I don’t have any space to use it now that I am not going to the gym. It is cold and snowy here and I am not doing it at 25* with questionable footing.

On fitness programs I did Fit-for-golf for a year and it was good. It does require going to the gym though as I don’t have a bunch of the equipment at home. I just started the free week trial of GOLFFOREVER and it seems pretty good so far. I am going to keep it for a few months and see how it works.

Gym work and the overspeed work will definitely help slow the effects of Father Time.

On Friday, I went over to the local Dick’s Sporting Goods to see what new equipment was on display. They still don’t have much to look at, but did have the new Ping drivers. There is a beat up launch monitor and I took some swings. My swing speed was shockingly low, even though I felt like I was swinging like normal. I chalked it up to the launch monitor.

Today, I stopped in at the local store where I usually look at and purchase equipment. The guy I work with there set me up with an Apex Pro 7 iron, with an MMT 95 stiff shaft and let me do my thing. Again, my swing speed was literally about 10 mph slower than what I am accustomed to seeing. The resulting ball speed was pathetic, even though the launch, spin, descent and dispersion were fine. I was swinging as hard as I could.

I have not been swinging much at all since December. I turned 60 in December. I am literally shaking that all of a sudden I have hit that proverbial wall, where I will no longer have the reasonable speed that I have had over the past few years. I am almost despondent about it. I don’t ever remember this happening to me. Has anybody else seen this and come out of it?

I am 65 and have noticed a decrease in distance. While it is difficult to accept, I compromised by moving up to the senior tees, which helped a great deal. Instead of hitting fairway woods into par 4's, I can still hit irons. As you age and play golf, your ego takes a beating, lol. You can either accept it and move on, or rail against it and just get frustrated and aggravated. Regardless, it's a tough pill to swallow. Good luck to you.

“I was swinging as hard as I could.” That’s the problem. You got concerned about a one day, one-off, experience. Now it’s in your head. Swinging as hard as you can is a recipe for slowing your swing speed. Muscles work against each other. Swing timing and sequencing go to hell.
You’re not going to lose 10 mph of driver swing speed over the winter unless you have been injured. Just go back to what ever has worked for you in the past. With a few swings under your belt and warmer weather your swing speed should return.

Swinging as hard as you can is a recipe for slowing your swing speed. Muscles work against each other. Swing timing and sequencing go to hell.

Bryson D. might disagree with this statement.

Good to hear its coming back, now when you add core workouts and Superspeed workouts look out ......

BDC is one of the top ten professional golfers in the world. The game he plays is in no way remotely related to the game we amateurs play.

Back