First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

To me, the MMTs load more smoothly. I have an initial impression that I can get the same energy out of them with a little less effort.

This has me even more excited to get these irons in hand.

Also my delivery estimate was moved up to Mon 02/22 - Mon 03/01! :rockon:

I definitely like the MMT shafts better than the Recoils that I have in the Tour MIMs. My ideal weight for an iron shaft is 95 to 100 grams. The Recoils are 110. With that caveat and very little to go on with the Pros, I think the Tour MIMs spin more and feel/sound better. The Pros are more forgiving across the face. The Pros might have a little more speed, but that is needing more play to determine. I believe a player fit into that profile could likely score equally well with either set.

Love reading your positive thoughts on the MMT. Can't wait to get mine setup. Think I'm going to go all in and add them in some Jaws wedges too for S+Gs!

I'm not a graphite iron player. I don't have any need to play them.
However... I did swing the MMT 60X in the epic 3w and I though wow. It was interesting if not more.
I liked it better than the PX RDX Blue I swung in the driver shaft.
Now, I couldn't hit straight at all, I need more time to figure it out, but the other monitor went down and someone was trying sued irons to buy, so I left.
If the iron shafts are anything like the 2 wood shaft, I think many graphite iron shafts players need to at least try them out.
I believe the phrase to use is "color me intrigued" (I could have this phrase wrong, I have EW BIB bourbon in me)

Question: STD Apex 5 iron is 23.5* & the UT 4 is 24*. If the shaft lengths are the same, these should fly the same distance, right?
Or would the UT construction give it more umph?

Question: STD Apex 5 iron is 23.5* & the UT 4 is 24*. If the shaft lengths are the same, these should fly the same distance, right?
Or would the UT construction give it more umph?
I am going to guess that all things being equal, the UT will fly a bit further, not a lot, but some. The reason is because I would guess that it might be lower spin. However, these things are subject to each person’s attack angle, club path, speed, etc.

I am going to guess that all things being equal, the UT will fly a bit further, not a lot, but some. The reason is because I would guess that it might be lower spin. However, these things are subject to each person’s attack angle, club path, speed, etc.
This is what I was kind of thinking. The STD iron woudl be like 180 & the UT maybe 183-4 or so.
I over think everything, the smallest details become the largest mountains for my mind to process.
I blame it for being a Gemini :)

Now a UT 4 strengthened 1* , with the Apex Pro 5-PW sound appetizing...
Or UT 4 weakened 2*, w/ Apex Pro 6-PW......
I gotta do well this weekend for V-Day..

5. If I had to do it over again, I think I would have gone full Pro set, but I may change my mind after I get out on the course. In the hitting bay outside, I was actually flushing more shots with the Pro. Admittedly, it may be that the Pro was an 8 iron, which is my most solid iron in the bag traditionally, but the Pros are not difficult to hit.

This has me feeling a little better about ordering the full Pro set. I was hitting 6i only at a Club Champion fitting and was wearing out the Apex, hitting it over and over, and not really "feeling" it, but that's where the fitter seemed to be landing. I asked if I could hit the Pro and immediately liked the look and feel at address so much more. First ball I hit felt "right" and was my typical "good" shot for me. I hit a couple thin but they carried just fine and the feedback in the club was better. Hit 10 to 15 balls and overall dispersion was much tighter w/the Pro than the Apex and I only lost 2 or 3 yards. Went back to the Apex and immediately noticed how clicky it sounded versus the Pro. Went back to the Pro and fell deeper in love w/it.

Sitting here waiting for my clubs I've been wondering if I should have combo'ed. Been thinking I may be missing out on something not going that route. Your feedback helps reinforce I made the right call for me. Thx for posting that.

A box arrived yesterday.. and of course it's snowing.. but these are pretty to look at and already are getting a workout in the garage sim. Screw the cold!! And the AW looks great.
20210210_155746.jpg20210210_155755.jpg20210210_155817.jpg20210210_161206.jpg20210210_161311.jpg

Some of my fitting #s for the 7 iron. All with a C-Taper Lite 115g shaft.
The 21 Pros and the CF19 have similar carry numbers but I would get much better spin, and descent numbers with the Pros. And much better stopping power i would think. For some reason I swung the Pros the fastest even they were the last set that we tried that day. 10 Total heads in all.
I was leaning toward a Triple Play Combo set. But after looking at the numbers. I wonder if I wouldn't be better off with standard's 4,5,and 6. Then 7 thru AW in the Pros.

What say you THP?

Clubspeed Ballspeed Carry Total Spin Height descent
APEX 21 Standard 87.3 117.2 167 173 5937 97 46.4
Apex 21 Pro 91.4 114.6 158 161 7257 103 48.2
Apex 21 DCB 89.5 118.1 174 184 5406 90 44.8
Gamer
Apex CF19 87.3 111.3 155 164 6163 90 42.8

The 21 Pros and the CF19 have similar carry numbers but I would get much better spin, and descent numbers with the Pros. And much better stopping power i would think. For some reason I swung the Pros the fastest even they were the last set that we tried that day. 10 Total heads in all.
I was leaning toward a Triple Play Combo set. But after looking at the numbers. I wonder if I wouldn't be better off with standard's 4,5,and 6. Then 7 thru AW in the Pros.

What say you THP?

Gamer
If I were picking your club for you, I think I would go with the Apex 21 standard. It is significantly more efficient than the Pro. I also like the combination of spin, height and descent angle you are seeing with it.

I am curious about the efficiency you were seeing with the Pro. The smash factor is significantly lower with it, at only 1.25. The smash factor with the Apex 21 standard is 1.34. The smash factor with the Apex 19 is 1.275. The smash factor with the DCB is 1.32. Thus, the most efficient for you is the Apex 21 standard. The spin is also awfully high with the Pros. For we mere mortals, we usually do a little better with less spin, provided we can get the descent we need to stop the ball. You are doing to stop very quickly with the Apex standard.

Honestly, if you don’t mind looking at the standard head, I think you will perform best with it, at least from this sample size. Also, it appears that you would see significant improvement by moving from the CF19s to the Apex 21s. Better efficiency. Much better decent and you are gaining almost a club in length. What’s not to like?

What say you THP?

Gamer

Yeah, I'm with @Tenputt . The Apex 21 standard is where I'd want most of them to be, and I'd maybe even hold off on a 21 Pro combo until the 8 or 9. Not because of distance greed or the difference in speed efficiency really. Wth that big of a spin jump, in real world conditions there's gonna be a pretty huge difference in true flight and actual distance efficiency. Doesn't blow a ton here, but add in some spin for grass and that 7i in a pro could stall out on ya in a pretty light headwind at those numbers. And on down with the shorter irons. The diminishing returns can start getting pretty brutal to overcome at that speed. 5937 and nearly 100' looks pretty good for 117 mph from where I sit. Don't know your game, or what you like looking at/feeling/hearing though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I've never had much access to monitors so the numbers can be confusing. When only hitting indoors and not being able to see the flight. As far as looks none of the 3 bother me when looking down on tbem.
I also liked the feel of the 21s better than the Cf19s
I'll have to call my Callaway rep to see about trade in values

One more question on my numbers. How would two compare these two clubs.

Mystery Club 89.3 119.3 172 181 5335 93 45.6

Last edited:
One more question on my numbers. How would two compare these two clubs.

Mystery Club 89.3 119.3 172 181 5335 93 45.6
Those are close. You still are getting half an iron more out of the mystery club, so that is something to think about. You would have a little more stopping power with the Apex 21, so it partly comes down to your course conditions. Either should stop on most greens.

The two are close enough that for me, assuming you feel equally confident with the two, it would come down to dispersion, both right to left and north/south. After that, my decision would be dictated by which one I liked to look at more, brand preference, etc... the aesthetics.

standard 6i arrived!!! looks so damn good

F8523265-3DFD-413F-8DF0-18A5FB8A71CF.jpeg

F9E44B78-7992-4CD1-82D0-8B7B90486D78.jpeg

View attachment 8992420

Delivery day on the first order of Pros. I may have to focus on work go play some frozen golf so I'm not just obsessing about when they'll arrive. Maybe a tune up with the matching IO/MB's. :unsure:
I placed my order last night and it said 3-4 weeks. Hoping it doesn’t take that long lol

What say you THP?

Gamer
I tend to agree with @Tenputt and @OldandStiff. Its clear from their handicaps they are excellent golfers and ball strikers so for them the Pros are great choices. Im around a 12 and my main problem is consistency through a round with ball striking. I have the Apex 19’s and switched to the Pro combo after trying the eight iron. Hitting some great shots with it i experienced a feel that i had never felt with an iron because there were times i struck it perfectly. With the 9, PW and AW it was the same thing. Had some great rounds for me with them but the problem was when i wasnt swinging well enough with the pros i paid a much greater price than i did with the standards. Recognizing this as much as i loved the feel of a well struck shot with the pros and their great look i decided at this time i would be better off with the standards so i went 5-6 DCB ( with specific holes in mind at my course) and 7-AW standard. That was my experience. So for now that is where i am and why i selected the standard over the pros.

Last edited:
I tend to agree with @Tenputt and @OldandStiff. Its clear from their handicaps they are excellent golfers and ball strikers so for them the Pros are great choices. Im around a 12 and my main problem is consistency through a round with ball striking. I have the Apex 19’s and switched to the Pro combo after trying the eight iron. Hitting some great shots with it i experienced a feel that i had never felt with an iron because there were times i struck it perfectly. With the 9, PW and AW it was the same thing. Had some great rounds for me with them but the problem was when i wasnt swinging well enough with the pros i paid a much greater price than i did with the standards. Recognizing as much as i loved the feel of a well struck shot with the pro and their great look i decided at this time i would be better off with the standards so i went 5-6 DCB ( with specific holes in mind at my course) and 7-AW standard. That was my experience. So for now that is where i am and why i selected the standard over the pros.

For the same reason, I went DCB 5i and Apex 6-AW coming off a set of Apex 19 Combos. I did add a Pro PW and AW too for funsies and when my swing feels good, but I can definitely use added forgiveness.

For the same reason, I went DCB 5i and Apex 6-AW coming off a set of Apex 19 Combos. I did add a Pro PW and AW too for funsies and when my swing feels good, but I can definitely use added forgiveness.
I loved the Pro 19 AW around the green and 50 yards and in. I fhought about just the Pro AW then decided even a standard AW for now ( but this will be in the back of my mind lol)

I loved the Pro 19 AW around the green and 50 yards and in. I fhought about just the Pro AW then decided even a standard AW for now ( but this will be in the back of my mind lol)

Same! The Pro AW was probably my most used iron. Chips, pitches, partial and full swings. Very versatile club. I suspect the Apex 21 Pro AW will find its way into the bag. PW probably not, but we shall see.

Last edited:
Frustrating to place an order 2/2 with delivery not expected until the end of March with specs that aren't particularly unique. I guess it's good for them, and at the end of the day golf really begins in April for many of us but bummed my March Florida golf won't be with my new sticks.

Back