A thread for SoCal golfers.

Looking to play before the super bowl on Sunday anyone down?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Looking to play before the super bowl on Sunday anyone down?

Tough crowd...

Anyone available for a 1020 tee time at Simi Hills Golf course.

5031 Alamo Street, Simi Valley, Ca 93063

PM via THP for details and confirmation.

Friendly, no Pressure golf on President's day.

Anyone available for a 1020 tee time at Simi Hills Golf course.

5031 Alamo Street, Simi Valley, Ca 93063

PM via THP for details and confirmation.

Friendly, no Pressure golf on President's day.
Tee Time has been filled

Anyone want to play Saturday?

Yes, but I can't. I hate that you're only free on weekends:(
Lol, I will definitely get with you my next week day off. If not ill see you in Michigan this summer.

Anyone up for palm springs golf this weekend?

I live in Chicago but my wife is from San Diego so ive been lucky to play both Torrey courses a few times now.... heading back this April for a wedding and I was able to talk my way in to playing Aviara on Friday and Torrey South saturday morning !!!

have any of you locals played Aviara and wha should I expect??? looks like a beautiful course and a few articles have it being the best resort in SoCal

I live in Chicago but my wife is from San Diego so ive been lucky to play both Torrey courses a few times now.... heading back this April for a wedding and I was able to talk my way in to playing Aviara on Friday and Torrey South saturday morning !!!

have any of you locals played Aviara and wha should I expect??? looks like a beautiful course and a few articles have it being the best resort in SoCal
Just played there last weekend. Don't go in with incredibly high hopes. The Fairways were Horrendous. The fact the course is hosting the Kia Classic in a few weeks amazes me. The greens were lightning but very true, just don't plan on picking up strokes on the green. I hit a lot of good shots that I wasn't rewarded. But all in all I gave it like a 6.5/10 for when I was there.

Just played there last weekend. Don't go in with incredibly high hopes. The Fairways were Horrendous. The fact the course is hosting the Kia Classic in a few weeks amazes me. The greens were lightning but very true, just don't plan on picking up strokes on the green. I hit a lot of good shots that I wasn't rewarded. But all in all I gave it like a 6.5/10 for when I was there.

I agree with @jspangs the few times I have played there I have not been overly impressed. The best shape I've ever seen it was at a THP event back in Oct 2019, but even then I would have given it an 8/10

It's pretty, and it's challenging, but overall its an expensive course that runs its tight fairways through houses on both sides on nearly every hole. Carlsbad is a great area for golf and, unless you have to play Aviara, there are a lot of better options.

Have a trip scheduled in middle of May. Early morning rounds at 8am most days and then an afternoon round as well. Whats the weather like and golf attire? 1/4 zip needed or good to go?

Courses playing

Aviara, Torrey South, Maderas

Looking at a few others and your recommendations.

Have a trip scheduled in middle of May. Early morning rounds at 8am most days and then an afternoon round as well. Whats the weather like and golf attire? 1/4 zip needed or good to go?

Courses playing

May will be cool in the mornings. As low as 45 as high as 70 depending on the day. Once the sun gets up in the sky a bit you'll be sitting pretty with perfect weather.

May will be cool in the mornings. As low as 45 as high as 70 depending on the day. Once the sun gets up in the sky a bit you'll be sitting pretty with perfect weather.
Bringing the army of 1/4 zips haha! Do you live out there!?

I agree with @jspangs the few times I have played there I have not been overly impressed. The best shape I've ever seen it was at a THP event back in Oct 2019, but even then I would have given it an 8/10

It's pretty, and it's challenging, but overall its an expensive course that runs its tight fairways through houses on both sides on nearly every hole. Carlsbad is a great area for golf and, unless you have to play Aviara, there are a lot of better options.
what else do you recommend?? ive played both La Costa courses also.... if Aviara isn't anything special im tempted to just save the money for that round and go to the scotty gallery instead

@Gman79 even tho it will be May in California, the few times ive played Torrey in May its still quite cold by the ocean. May is very cloudy most of the day there (about the only time theres ever bad weather). From experience id say definitely plan on bringing pants and a pullover.....obviously you can get lucky and itll be 70+ of sunshine. But ive played 3x in May and it was in the 40's plus wind. First time I showed up in shorts and a polo. Bought a pullover but still froze my ass off!!

what else do you recommend?? ive played both La Costa courses also.... if Aviara isn't anything special im tempted to just save the money for that round and go to the scotty gallery instead
I would play Maderas 100/100 times over Aviara. Oak Creek is great if you're willing to go to Irvine, though it can be pricey as well.

Courses playing

I've played Maderas and Torrey and really enjoyed both of them, definitely worth it. Check out "Golfholics" on YouTube for some ideas of good courses in the San Diego area. Those guys and girls are native to SD and play alot of courses around the area. I've played Coronado which for the price I thought it was very enjoyable, especially being on the water for some of the holes on the front 9 and back 9 but you'll have to book a tee time way ahead of time.
If you're gonna try and play Oak Creek in Irvine, call ahead to schedule your tee time, They have deals that they'll give people who walk vs ride and that aren't listed on their website.

I would play Maderas 100/100 times over Aviara. Oak Creek is great if you're willing to go to Irvine, though it can be pricey as well.

im leaning that way right now and its cheaper.... looks like a fun course

Courses playing

Depends on the person. May can be a bit chilly in the morning but you can expect it to warm up pretty quickly. I play early times at Torrey a lot and always go shorts and a polo that time of year (I tend to run pretty warm) and have never been cold. Some of my playing partners go with pants and a quarter zip that gets removed after the first hole or two. I live on the coast a few miles from Torrey and it's warm enough for me to leave the house with just a polo shirt for work in the mornings right now. Maderas is inland and will be pretty warm that time of year.

Awesome - Thanks for confirming the Coronado course as a 2nd 18 of the day!

Torrey, Goat Hill, Pelican Hill, Monarch Beach, etc. La Costa has been really cheap in the afternoon lately ($40 ish) so it's always great at that price.

Hello Everyone.

I am new to the San Diego area (moved from Northern Cali in January) looking for recommendations for club fitting and lessons.

Thank you all in advance for any advice or tips.

-Rocky

Back