Describe your process for changing your ball flight.

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
I was thinking about my round this past weekend at Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV. Anyone who has played it knows that it is a unique track, with its elevation changes, forced carries and doglegs. It was one of the better ball striking rounds with driver that I can ever remember. I hit driver 9 times and hit 8 fairways. The only fairway I missed, I just barely went through the dogleg and was a few yards out into the rough. I was even hitting draws and fades where the hole called for it, something I almost never even try to do. It was one of those rounds where you just keep reflecting upon it because it felt so satisfying.

The strange thing about it is that I didn’t set up differently to hit my draw or fade. I simply thought in my mind that I needed to hit a little draw or a little fade and it happened every time.

It got me to thinking about when I played competitive team sports in my younger days, such as basketball. The shots were all instinctive. I didn’t set and think that I am going in for a layup and so I need to put some english on the ball, given the angle of the shot.

So, for those of you who hit different shots, do you think about it and consciously manipulate your swing or do you just do it instinctively?

I'm not good enough to make it happen instinctively. I have to adjust my stance, the face of the club, play it forward or back, etc...based on the shot I'm TRYING to hit. Then hope it comes off the way I want. That's all I've got right now.

I consciously incorrectly manipulate my swing.

I may need to work on that.

I struggle with a draw. A fade is easy, I think “straight back, straight through”. My body isn’t actually doing that but it’s a lot more effective generally than trying to hit a draw.

Ironically I love to play a low sweeping hook around stuff. Its my favorite shot to hit and as long as I choose the right lie to attempt it, I pull it off often.

I'm not good enough to make it happen instinctively. I have to adjust my stance, the face of the club, play it forward or back, etc...based on the shot I'm TRYING to hit. Then hope it comes off the way I want. That's all I've got right now.
I am not trying to make myself out as being some fantastic ball striker. I move the ball in my stance with irons when i am trying to flight them, but with driver, I just try to hit it straight and go with whatever ball flight came to the course with me that day. I would love to hope that I didn’t just catch lightening in a bottle, but... this was almost freaky.

I am not trying to make myself out as being some fantastic ball striker. I move the ball in my stance with irons when i am trying to flight them, but with driver, I just try to hit it straight and go with whatever ball flight came to the course with me that day. I would love to hope that I didn’t just catch lightening in a bottle, but... this was almost freaky.
I dream about days like that. No wonder you keep reflecting on it. Congrats. Keep it up. It'll serve you good on the way to scratch!

I was thinking about my round this past weekend at Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV. Anyone who has played it knows that it is a unique track, with its elevation changes, forced carries and doglegs....It was one of those rounds where you just keep reflecting upon it because it felt so satisfying.

My round at Wolf Creek was the polar opposite. In fact, it was so bad, my friend and I started playing from the best ball after 4, and had to buy more balls on the turn.

I can usually change my ball flight by either topping it or fatting it. 😔

I consciously incorrectly manipulate my swing.

I may need to work on that.

I struggle with a draw. A fade is easy, I think “straight back, straight through”. My body isn’t actually doing that but it’s a lot more effective generally than trying to hit a draw.

Ironically I love to play a low sweeping hook around stuff. Its my favorite shot to hit and as long as I choose the right lie to attempt it, I pull it off often.
My all the time swing thought is strait back strait through. I just aim down the left and hit a big high fade. The miss is getting too fast with the hands and pulling the tar out of the ball.

For a draw if I am swinging good I kind of put the ball back in my stance a bit and swing strait back and then through to right field. That can be a top for me pretty easily though if I get quick. I don't try that often.

For low ball flight or spinny irons I put it back in my stance a bit and swing kind of heavy (description of the feel to me) at the ball. This shot can easily be chunked and topped.

I have to change my setup to do it. Can hit a fade easily, a draw I have to work harder to do it.

My round at Wolf Creek was the polar opposite. In fact, it was so bad, my friend and I started playing from the best ball after 4, and had to buy more balls on the turn.
The course has eaten me alive on occasion. Just a month ago, I shot an 83 on that course and felt lost.

That's a really tough thing to answer. I mean, I absolutely alter my setup sometimes, and do things differently within my swing. When I don't change my setup from stock, I'm obviously changing something, or the ball flight wouldn't change, and I tend to be pretty aware of what I'm doing to make it happen as it happens. Just doesn't always take a setup change or a lot of thinking. I can visualize the shot I want to hit, and those things will happen without me having to think about the small parts, but that's because I know the feeling of making it happen already, and how to find that feeling.

Like, if I want to hit a hard peeler, I just think 'Alright, little peeler', and hit it. Setup doesn't change, but I know a whole bunch of little things in my swing are different as I'm doing it. My lead shoulder and weight placement are different, among a bunch of other things. I can feel the weight change in my lead foot and knee compared to stock, how my chin touches my shoulder, all kinds of stuff.

I'll focus on those things, and swing path adjustments right from the start sometimes if I need to, especially if it's really counter to my normal, but probably less on days when things are going really well. I think that's probably what you're saying.

So, for those of you who hit different shots, do you think about it and consciously manipulate your swing or do you just do it instinctively?

This is part of top level golf., that is a player sees a shot happening and the gets it done. At his best Tiger saw a little bit of a fade or a little bit of a draw and then played the shot, no problem. For extreme ball movement , such as significant draw-hook or fade-slice of course there is some address technique adjustment needed, but I don't believe that's what you are talking about.
If you want to repeat your good experience at Wolf Creek a big help to that is seeing the shot before you hit it. Get in the habit of seeing your target and imagining your golf ball's flight through the air and finding that target.

The course has eaten me alive on occasion. Just a month ago, I shot an 83 on that course and felt lost.

I have never been abused so badly by a course. I was just really glad that it was a comped round, and I didn’t pay for that beating. I don’t remember my score now, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was over 140. It was, by far, my worst round ever played.

That's a really tough thing to answer. I mean, I absolutely alter my setup sometimes, and do things differently within my swing. When I don't change my setup from stock, I'm obviously changing something, or the ball flight wouldn't change, and I tend to be pretty aware of what I'm doing to make it happen as it happens. Just doesn't always take a setup change or a lot of thinking. I can visualize the shot I want to hit, and those things will happen without me having to think about the small parts, but that's because I know the feeling of making it happen already, and how to find that feeling.

Like, if I want to hit a hard peeler, I just think 'Alright, little peeler', and hit it. Setup doesn't change, but I know a whole bunch of little things in my swing are different as I'm doing it. My lead shoulder and weight placement are different, among a bunch of other things. I can feel the weight change in my lead foot and knee compared to stock, how my chin touches my shoulder, all kinds of stuff.

I'll focus on those things, and swing path adjustments right from the start sometimes if I need to, especially if it's really counter to my normal, but probably less on days when things are going really well. I think that's probably what you're saying.
You describe it perfectly, as usual.

Usually starts with me whispering, "sweet little baby Jesus, let my ball {insert ball flight}."
Oh, man, you have no idea how hard this made me laugh.

This is part of top level golf., that is a player sees a shot happening and the gets it done. At his best Tiger saw a little bit of a fade or a little bit of a draw and then played the shot, no problem. For extreme ball movement , such as significant draw-hook or fade-slice of course there is some address technique adjustment needed, but I don't believe that's what you are talking about.
If you want to repeat your good experience at Wolf Creek a big help to that is seeing the shot before you hit it. Get in the habit of seeing your target and imagining your golf ball's flight through the air and finding that target.
You have my thoughts correct. If I want to move a ball around a tree, of course, I am going to alter my setup. However, yesterday, I was doing exactly what you described, visualizing the very slight fade and then make a nice smooth swing.

The easiest way is with a different club. More or less loft and more or less speed. But if I am trying to work a ball lower or higher. Generally try moving the ball forward or back and swinging to a lower or higher finish.. That usually does most of the trick.

I have never been abused so badly by a course. I was just really glad that it was a comped round, and I didn’t pay for that beating. I don’t remember my score now, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if it was over 140. It was, by far, my worst round ever played.
I think if you played it several times, you would not be as intimidated by all of the visual uniqueness to it. I have played it 5 times now and have a pretty good idea where I need to hit the ball to position myself.

For slight draws or fades...it's all in my hands

. However, yesterday, I was doing exactly what you described, visualizing the very slight fade and then make a nice smooth swing.

It's the most fun, best way to play golf for sure. That is seeing a shot, really playing the shot, before you actually do it.

Really hard to do with my present clubs which makes me want to try a set of blades. Usually I change ball flight with stance changes, open for fade and closed for draw.

I was thinking about my round this past weekend at Wolf Creek in Mesquite, NV. Anyone who has played it knows that it is a unique track, with its elevation changes, forced carries and doglegs. It was one of the better ball striking rounds with driver that I can ever remember. I hit driver 9 times and hit 8 fairways. The only fairway I missed, I just barely went through the dogleg and was a few yards out into the rough. I was even hitting draws and fades where the hole called for it, something I almost never even try to do. It was one of those rounds where you just keep reflecting upon it because it felt so satisfying.

The strange thing about it is that I didn’t set up differently to hit my draw or fade. I simply thought in my mind that I needed to hit a little draw or a little fade and it happened every time.

It got me to thinking about when I played competitive team sports in my younger days, such as basketball. The shots were all instinctive. I didn’t set and think that I am going in for a layup and so I need to put some english on the ball, given the angle of the shot.

For me, its a conscious thing. Im a natural drawer of the ball, so for me to hit a fade, I basically have to feel like Im cutting across the ball and have to go to a weak grip. If I dont, and try to hit the fade with my normal grip, its pull city.

Visualizing a shot has some bearing on my out come. Doesn’t always work. Visualizing ball flight over a certain tree bush or other landmark probably has some psychological impact on swing. Not good enough to do in on command but when you can and call your shot it looks cool.

Back