Most important club to get fit

Tywithay

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
As the title states, which club do you think it's most important to get fit? Obviously, the correct answer is all of them, but which specifically is most beneficial? Putter is used most often. Driver has the biggest potential for disaster. Irons offer 7 or 8 opportunities to be dialed in or miss. If you could only get fit for one area of the bag, which would it be?

I know it's used the least but personally, I'd have to go with driver. It's the club that has held me back the most in terms of scoring with how erratic I can be. But because my irons are fit so well for my game, I can get away with it a lot of the time. If my irons weren't as good as they are, I'd probably say those. Like you said, it's important for the whole bag but I'm sticking with driver. So much can go wrong off the tee that can be hard to come back from.

I would think short irons, as they are the ones you need the most accuracy out of. In my own game, I can typically recover from a bad drive. But a chunked of thin approach shot has the potential to add more than one stroke.

With that said, I've never been "fit". I like to play well as any other person does. But part of the equation for me is fiddling with my own stuff. I actually have doubts as to whther getting fit would make a realizable difference in my game.

I would think short irons, as they are the ones you need the most accuracy out of. In my own game, I can typically recover from a bad drive. But a chunked of thin approach shot has the potential to add more than one stroke.

With that said, I've never been "fit". I like to play well as any other person does. But part of the equation for me is fiddling with my own stuff. I actually have doubts as to whther getting fit would make a realizable difference in my game.

There's been a lot of posts about fitting recently and as a beginner I wouldn't think about getting fit for a while. But I like what you are saying about trying things out yourself and actually whether it would make much difference.

For me it was driver because that’s what was hurting me the most. Today, the answer would be irons.

Driver, you need to be able to get off the tee safely and find the fairway. That saves a lot of strokes if you are keeping the ball in play.

Wedges....finding out more & more grinds are important.

Driver, hands down. I can adapt to any other club, but driving in the fairway off the tee sets you up mentally and positionally for a hole.

Driver. Small variables are magnified the faster you swing.

Driver. Small variables are magnified the faster you swing.

I would tend to agree with driver because of the magnification issue and misses can often lead to two and three stroke swings. I would probably follow that by irons because of the complete set nature.

I did just sign up for my first putter fitting ever for next week.

For me personally so far I'd say irons, but the returns will depend on your game and where you need the most help. I chose irons because that's the hardest club for me to go out and hit every variant of at a big box store. I can hit the stock options and maybe a few custom shafts, but without a fitting I'm not really getting the most possible IMO. Add all the loft/lie/length adjustments and it's not easy to do alone.

I can go hit a number of drivers and if the shafts are available dial it into something that's playable for me. Not saying a fitting wouldn't be better, just that I feel like I can get closer to a good spot without the fitting than I could with irons. Driver would #1B for me though.

Thanks to @Nate I now very badly want to get fit for some custom wedges. Mine are currently just l/l/l matched to my iron set with the same shaft.

Last edited:
I would tend to agree with driver because of the magnification issue and misses can often lead to two and three stroke swings. I would probably follow that by irons because of the complete set nature.

I did just sign up for my first putter fitting ever for next week.
This is very true. Yet you could also say it is the club one can be the least precise with and still get great results.

For me personally so far I'd say irons, but I the returns will depend on your game and where you need the most help. I chose irons because that's the hardest club for me to go out and hit every variant of at a big box store. I can hit the stock options and maybe a few custom shafts, but without a fitting I'm not really getting the most possible IMO. Add all the loft/lie/length adjustments and it's not easy to do alone.

I can go hit a number of drivers and if the shafts are available dial it into something that's playable for me. Not saying a fitting wouldn't be better, just that I feel like I can get closer to a good spot without the fitting than I could with irons. Driver would #1B for me though.

Thanks to @Nate I now very badly want to get fit for some custom wedges. Mine are currently just l/l/l matched to my iron set with the same shaft.

Agree w/ you on the driver. OEM’s have made such great strides that they really are so good now.

But it does help having gone through a few fittings already to know what to look for going forward.

Putter.

If you are asking about a single club in the bag, then I would go with driver.

An argument can be made for any of them, but personally id go with driver. Better drives, or more playable misses, can really help scoring and reduce big numbers by not wasting penalties off the tee

I dont have stats to back it up but I would bet amateur wise there are alot better iron players out there than drivers of the ball. A good drive sets you up to score better

The Putter. It is the most used club in the bag and it gets overlooked the most in general golf settings.

Better drives, or more playable misses, can really help scoring and reduce big numbers by not wasting penalties off the tee

True, but there are lots of options for a tee box club. I think too often the driver club is overrated and, or, over used.
How many players would lower their scoring average by not having a driver within the bag ? My guess is at least 50% of all people playing golf courses.

The Putter. It is the most used club in the bag and it gets overlooked the most in general golf settings.
My only argument would be, how many GIR do I need before seeing the benefits of a putter fitting versus a wedge or iron? Or a fit driver that puts me position to hit a GIR?

My only argument would be, how many GIR do I need before seeing the benefits of a putter fitting versus a wedge or iron? Or a fit driver that puts me position to hit a GIR?
If you are 1 degree closed or open from 8 feet, you are going to miss the hole. 8 feet! If you can limit that by just having the correct toe hang, you will see improvement.

Would say short irons first and putter. The scoring clubs

I think we had this question before, but right now for me, I would go with the driver as I want to clean that up a bit. For some though, I would say the club or clubs that give you the most problems. What if most of the courses you play you had to hit a wood or hybrid on your second shot and that is your troublesome club? Then that would be the one to get fitted for.

A comprehensive putter fitting was the one that made the biggest difference for me. Since that fitting my 'bad days on the greens' are usually better than the extremely rare 'good days' were with my old ill fitting and way out of spec putter.

I’d say wedges. Did a wedge fitting and it was eye opening

Back