JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's say you were selected for a THP Experience and every participant gets new clubs (like most of them :D). The problem is, you know the brand, but the clubs are not out yet and you must choose. You have an idea of what they have released in the past, but going in blind completely with looks, etc.

How would you choose knowing only a category that they fall into like muscle back, players cavity and/or hollow body?

Tough choice or easy to decide?

Let's say you were selected for a THP Experience and every participant gets new clubs (like most of them :D). The problem is, you know the brand, but the clubs are not out yet and you must choose. You have an idea of what they have released in the past, but going in blind completely with looks, etc.

How would you choose knowing only a category that they fall into like muscle back, players cavity and/or hollow body?

Tough choice or easy to decide?
Completely blind, I would probably just go with the players cavity. I know I can handle that kind of iron, ability wise, and, like I told my fitter this week when he was concerned about me liking the look of a club, "I played Wilson C200 irons for a while, I can handle the look of just about anything."

easy choice, I basically do this with all clubs I buy...

I would look at how their past releases have evolved and hope to pick the correct evolution by researching the category I was interested in.

It’s hard to say because to me it’s not only about performance, it’s about looks. If I don’t like the looks of something standing over it, going to be hard to be confident with it. The performance can more than likely be somewhat determined by prior releases and fall into a category but looks won’t. Tough situation but at the same time you are being given these clubs so can’t complain too much. It’s more about the experience anyways. The equipment is just the cherry on top!

• Admin
easy choice, I basically do this with all clubs I buy...

But you at least see a picture of the irons before buying right? In this instance, pictures wouldnt exist.

Players cavity every time. It is a nice in between section and a safe play.

stay in my lane... play something forgiving and not out of my league understanding where my game is at.

Do we at least know what "category" the company is considering them?

Do we at least know what "category" the company is considering them?
That would be about it. Basic category and then you would kind of decide based on history?

Could probably figure something out fairly easily, as long as you know or have an idea on the category.

But you at least see a picture of the irons before buying right? In this instance, pictures wouldnt exist.
Yes you are correct I do see a picture, if pictures didn't exist in this case, I'd select hollow body, I'm on a kick with them right now. HMB's or ZX4's, irons of that nature.

I would stick to what I feel I have the ability to play. Most likely the hollow body selection.

That would be about it. Basic category and then you would kind of decide based on history?
Yeah, if I have basic category I look at what the company has released previously and base off of that. I don't think I would have an issue with that not having a picture.

I kind of operate from the assumption that clubs generally are kind of the same from a previous generation with minor changes and then evry few years you will see a big change or improvement. I could be wrong but I don't feel like a company with a new club coming out in a general category gets worse.

I would pick muscle back just because I like the looks and they would most certainly be fun to play (even if my score suffers). And they are different than what I currently play.

Now if it was this choice and you had to win the match to keep your clubs? I'm going CB as it's a little bit more forgiving and probably play closer to the yardages I'm used to with my clubs.

I think it would be relatively easy. Would likely just go to my past experiences and go with my gut. Players CB. MB's would be tempting. But, I am getting old and need to be more realistic haha.

I would pick muscle back just because I like the looks and they would most certainly be fun to play (even if my score suffers). And they are different than what I currently play.

Now if it was this choice and you had to win the match to keep your clubs? I'm going CB as it's a little bit more forgiving and probably play closer to the yardages I'm used to with my clubs.
I would hope people want to win. I mean certainly not a criteria to win a THP experience but people should definitely want to play the clubs since they must review them post event 😀

For example. If we had to do this with the recent APEX line I would have had no problem picking my set blind and would have been the same based on what I have seen in hand.

Less information for me the better. I would go with a style that I was familiar with if offered.

I think it would be pretty easy. Players Cavity Back or Hollow Body 5-AW. Boom. If you're tossing in woods too, give me a MAX/XB type driver with a 3W, 5W, 4H and I'm ready.

I would go player cavity. No way I can play muscle back and I like something a little more compact (sole wise) to the hollow body.

I would hope people want to win. I mean certainly not a criteria to win a THP experience but people should definitely want to play the clubs since they must review them post event 😀

Agreed, I'm competitive and want to win but if it was on the line I'd play a more forgiving club everytime. That being said I'd review the ish out of a MB just to get more insight oh how they play with my strike and swing. It would be super fun to do and I still would try to win for my team... If that clarifies it a bit more :)

Easy to decide. As a higher handicapper I know what type of club should work and which ones are out of my league.

Reactions: Ooo
This would not be a difficult choice at all. Without being able to hit them, it is most likely that I would get a profile that I would enjoy and find success with by going hollow body. I would be choosing between the hollow body (player distance) or a player cavity, but I would not go with the player cavity over the hollow body without being able to have some level of familiarity with it.

Back