Video Help categorize my transition | Shaft suggestions

RolandOfGilead

Long days and pleasant nights.
Reaction score
Handicap
This may be a little weird, but I’m posting my swing to see how you folks would describe my transition for shaft fitting purposes. I have recently come to worry that my driver shaft may be too weak for me.

Video:

Driver: swing speed is around 112. Shaft is HZRDUS Yellow in 6.0 flex, club is Ping G400 at 9* and 44”. I think I have a pretty smooth tempo and transition, but let me know what you think. I like the trajectory with this setup but definitely feel like swinging easy ~80% results in significantly lower spin than my preferred higher effort, given the same face contact. I suppose swinging easier is a solution but wonder how much is being left on the table. I also think my dispersion is worse than than it should be.

3W (well, 16* wood that I play as a 3W): swing speed was recently measured at 108 with this club. Shaft is HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g at 42.5” and tipped 1” in 6.0 flex. I like both trajectory and spin with this setup but dispersion is a bit loose. I am planning to tip trim another 1/2” and see what happens. I REALLY prefer the feel of Smoke Black over Yellow.

After typing this out, it seems like tip trimming the Yellow driver shaft is an obvious step to take. My “3W” is tipped like a 5W and performs better than my un-tipped driver shaft. Buying a Smoke Black shaft for driver is also an option, but what flex? I have never hit a HZRDUS 6.5 flex and am nervous about buying something that is too stiff. Based on my speed and transition, am I making an obvious mistake by not hitting 6.5 or X flex? Hitting one on a simulator is an option but I am curious if anyone has been in this situation and how it worked out. Any other feedback is welcome.

I'll let the swing hobbiests do their thing, but I'll share that at similar speed swapping my 6.0 Hzrdus' for 6.5s was one one of the best moves I ever made. Definitely tightened things up for me.

I don't know about fitting you, but the HZRDUS Yellow and the HZRDUS Smoke Black are really 2 very different shafts for having the same branding on them. For on the Yellow is counterbalanced so it makes the club feel lighter. 2 it flexes pretty significantly in the middle and the Smoke Black is just stiff all the way down the shaft. Most people that like the Black do not get along with the Yellow and vice versa. The new HZRDUS Blue is similar to the Yellow and the Green is a similar profile to the black but even stiffer and heavier feeling.

By the way you've got a good looking swing. Keep it up!

I don't know about fitting you, but the HZRDUS Yellow and the HZRDUS Smoke Black are really 2 very different shafts for having the same branding on them. For on the Yellow is counterbalanced so it makes the club feel lighter. 2 it flexes pretty significantly in the middle and the Smoke Black is just stiff all the way down the shaft. Most people that like the Black do not get along with the Yellow and vice versa. The new HZRDUS Blue is similar to the Yellow and the Green is a similar profile to the black but even stiffer and heavier feeling.

By the way you've got a good looking swing. Keep it up!
Thanks. I actually came to like the Yellow in my driver. It wasn’t until very recently, after two plus years of getting used to the Yellow, that I first hit a non-CB HZRDUS shaft and saw what I had been missing. After hitting a lot of 3Ws in a row (first range session with the new club), switching over to the driver/Yellow was really shocking. I am adjusting “back” to its feel and am more worried about incorrect flex.

i'm curious to hear what others think. to me, that looks like a somewhat aggressive transition. i would think an x stiff shaft is the way to go, maybe even something with some extra weight to it. something like a ventus black 7x, or rdx black 6.5. shafts are just so golfer-specific, though. you gotta try before you buy.

Tip trimming the yellow in your driver would put you at 43.5 inch playing length unless you extend the shaft. Shaft extension on a CB shaft at your swing speed may be Ill advised.
I have a thought, PM inbound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here is a long-term follow up on this thread. I’ve been tinkering more with wood shafts and ended up with Smoke Black 60g 6.5 in driver and it is a world of difference over the 1” tipped Yellow 6.0 (driver) and 1.5” tipped Smoke Black 6.0 (4W). Turns out, I really prefer the non-counterbalanced profile. The extra tip stability of the straight-in 6.5 flex (over the tipped 6.0) really gives confidence to swing the driver hard and helps my dispersion on marginal strikes. For the record my driver ball speed is in the 160-165 range, though I always feel like I hit it thin on the simulator. So perhaps a tad higher on-course.

As for the 4W, I switched back and forth between the extra-tipped Smoke Black 6.0 and standard-tipped Grafalloy ProLanch Platinum X for awhile and never got comfortable. Meanwhile I have been playing a PROFORCE V2 in my hybrid at F5 (X) flex for a few years. I had a lightbulb moment one day after hitting the 4W and hybrid back-to-back on the range and decided to take a chance and buy a PROFORCE V2 wood shaft in 7F5 flex. It’s money. Here are averages of 5 or so swings on each. I was longer but more offline with the Smoke Black than the ProLaunch, while the PROFORCE combines the best of both.

Smoke Black 6.0 / ProLaunch Platinum / PROFORCE V2
Ball speed: 150 / 148 / 148
Launch angle: 13.5 / 13.4 / 13.7
Backspin: 3480 / 4070 / 3700
Height: 38 / 38 / 42
Carry: 240 / 230 / 248
Offline: -48 / -17 / -1

Back