New England Members

Calling out to the Mass guys here. My brother and I have talked about doing a golf trip to the Cape in early/mid May this year. Then all of a sudden reality hit me this morning and I realized that &*^*ing COVID might flush that plan down the toilet. Are out of staters welcome in Massachusetts? Do you guys have any guesses as to whether we'd be able to do this in May? For reference, I'm traveling from Vermont and him from Connecticut.

This is the official information. North Dakota is the only state that Mass does not require quarantine, exemption, etc.

All visitors entering Massachusetts, including returning residents, who do not meet an exemption, are required to:
  • Complete the Massachusetts Travel Form prior to arrival
  • Quarantine for 10 days or produce a negative COVID-19 test result that has been administered up to 72-hours prior to your arrival in Massachusetts. If not obtained before entry to Massachusetts, a test may be obtained after arrival. However, all such arriving travelers must immediately begin the 10-day quarantine until a negative test result has been received. Failure to comply may result in a $500 fine per day.

Quarantine Requirement
All individuals entering Massachusetts after 12:01 a.m. on August 1, 2020 must quarantine from the date of arrival in Massachusetts unless the individual meets one of the criteria below:

• 72-hour Testing Rule: The individual can produce a negative COVID-19 test result that has been administered up to 72-hours prior to your arrival in Massachusetts. If not obtained before entry to Massachusetts, a test may be obtained after arrival, however all such arriving travelers must immediately begin the 10-day quarantine until a negative test result has been received.
  • Lower-Risk State: This includes individuals coming from a COVID-19 lower-risk state within the United States, as detailed above.
  • Transitory Travel: This includes people who are passing through Massachusetts and permits travelers to drive through the State or to connect to their airplane, bus or train, or to stop at a highway rest stop, but this exception extends only so long as is reasonably required for the traveler to complete their transit, make any necessary airplane, bus, or train connection, or make use of travel services such as at a highway rest stop.
  • Persons Commuting for Work or School: People who regularly commute, at least weekly, outside of Massachusetts to a fixed place to attend school or work or any person who regularly commutes, at least weekly into Massachusetts to a fixed place to attend school or work; provided that in either case, this exception applies only to and from the person’s residence and place of work or school. Workers or students who travel to any place that is not their home state for personal or leisure reasons cannot rely on this exemption.

US-Travel-Map_2021-02-12_01.png

I'd call your resort of choice and validate with them. I know some people are not following any of the recommended guidelines but a resort has its license to operate hanging in the balance. I'd bet it is a non issue but could save you a long drive.
Yeah I think the packages I've been looking at are from Bayside Resort. Would definitely call first. I just semi-panicked this morning after being so excited getting the green light from the wife :LOL:

This is the official information. North Dakota is the only state that Mass does not require quarantine, exemption, etc.

Quarantine Requirement
All individuals entering Massachusetts after 12:01 a.m. on August 1, 2020 must quarantine from the date of arrival in Massachusetts unless the individual meets one of the criteria below:

• 72-hour Testing Rule: The individual can produce a negative COVID-19 test result that has been administered up to 72-hours prior to your arrival in Massachusetts. If not obtained before entry to Massachusetts, a test may be obtained after arrival, however all such arriving travelers must immediately begin the 10-day quarantine until a negative test result has been received.
  • Lower-Risk State: This includes individuals coming from a COVID-19 lower-risk state within the United States, as detailed above.
  • Transitory Travel: This includes people who are passing through Massachusetts and permits travelers to drive through the State or to connect to their airplane, bus or train, or to stop at a highway rest stop, but this exception extends only so long as is reasonably required for the traveler to complete their transit, make any necessary airplane, bus, or train connection, or make use of travel services such as at a highway rest stop.
  • Persons Commuting for Work or School: People who regularly commute, at least weekly, outside of Massachusetts to a fixed place to attend school or work or any person who regularly commutes, at least weekly into Massachusetts to a fixed place to attend school or work; provided that in either case, this exception applies only to and from the person’s residence and place of work or school. Workers or students who travel to any place that is not their home state for personal or leisure reasons cannot rely on this exemption.

Man I hope that changes, although as long as it's not difficult to get a COVID test done I'd do that for sure in order to golf.

Man I hope that changes, although as long as it's not difficult to get a COVID test done I'd do that for sure in order to golf.

I think things will open up a bit by May. Be aware thought that May on the Cape can be a bit of a crap shoot. The courses will all be open but it can be cold and damp.

Miss all you guys!!! Hoping we can do a spring outing!!!

I think things will open up a bit by May. Be aware thought that May on the Cape can be a bit of a crap shoot. The courses will all be open but it can be cold and damp.
I live in Vermont, the Cape will definitely be warmer than where I live :LOL:. I looked up the average weather for that time of year and it said averages low 46 - high 60. I'd cross my fingers for good weather but aside from a hurricane I'd be out there. Thanks for the heads up though, will definitely bear that in mind and share with my brother :D

I live in Vermont, the Cape will definitely be warmer than where I live :LOL:. I looked up the average weather for that time of year and it said averages low 46 - high 60. I'd cross my fingers for good weather but aside from a hurricane I'd be out there. Thanks for the heads up though, will definitely bear that in mind and share with my brother :D

When we went up to VT, we did a quarantine here then headed up there. I'd imagine if you're driving down that probably works in reverse as well. I also think from May things should be a little bit more open as vaccine distribution is picking up here, and numbers are coming down.

Miss all you guys!!! Hoping we can do a spring outing!!!

Likewise. Looking forward to golf with the THP family this season.

Agreed it will be ahead of VT golf wise but it isn’t always a ton warmer depending on where in VT you are. You just need to make sure to bring the right clothes and not expect it to be like North Carolina. I play a lot of golf down there in the spring and it can range from cold and damp to warm and sunny.

And wind about 40 too! Never fails that when I go down there it blows like crazy.

Thanks fellas, I'll definitely have my fingers crossed for good weather if we go.

Stinks that it's the North that's losing 9 holes - I think it's the better layout overall. But I wonder if you could do a really nice 18 hole course with North/South.

Definitely. The 3 best 9s are the North course and the South front 9. Of course, that's also the best land if you're going to sell any off. Not sure if you can do much with the South back 9, it's the hilliest section and also probably least access from the main roads. #18 is a decent hole so maybe they'll figure out a good new routing. I think they may also have to move the driving range as I think that land is probably either sold or going to be sold.

Last edited:

Quarantine Requirement

I thought NY's travel restrictions and quarantine requirements were excessive. At least NY allows travel from contiguous states without the need for quarantine.

Definitely. The 3 best 9s are the North course and the South front 9. Of course, that's also the best land if you're going to sell any off. Not sure if you can do much with the South back 9, it's the hilliest section and also probably least access from the main roads. #18 is a decent hole so maybe they'll figure out a good new routing. I think they may also have to move the driving range as I think that land is probably either sold or going to be sold.

The South was always fun in the golf marathon we used to play there, but that's more because there were are some goofy holes that we'd try to play different ways each time. There are also a few boring holes going out/coming in on the North that I wonder if you could lose - but I don't know how you string 18 together. I'd need to look at a course map I think.

Wouldn't they just require a negative covid test within 72 hours of arriving?

My snow shovel has a True Temper shaft, so I suppose I got a little golf in today, lol.

True Temper is the only snow shovel I put in play. :cool: :ROFLMAO:

I went old school and put an ash shaft in play this morning. :D

That's beast mode! Swing weight on that is pretty high and plays like a TXX. #Rebar

Head speed is slowing down in my '40's, considering making the jump to composite handles.

Friends of mine played 11 holes today in Hope Valley RI, season it’s getting close for us😀

Back