• 1-2

Votes: 14 14.0%

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • +

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • @canadan

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
If a healthy back and no pain in the hands goes along with practicing all I want, I could get to scratch or maybe a little better.

I got down to 1.2 at two different points in my golfing life, about 15 years apart. Most recent was 2018. With a bad back at both points but it's gotten worse since and the hands issue is new over the last 2 years and progressing negatively fairly quick.

As I'm always on Tapatalk, I haven't updated my handicap here in a while (not to mention my bag signature, LOL).

'Cap is up to 6.2 now.

Sadly I think when I got to a 5 a couple years ago that's probably my best. 4 could be a possibility but if I'm being totally honest I just don't know that I have the physical ability or dedication to get better than that.
Hey, at least we can blame it on only having 6 months to play. 😉😔

Reactions: KEV
I'm 36, but I've always been a naturally gifted athlete. Played sports in HS, college, and even bowled professionally for a time. I feel like I have the ability to be a very good golfer in there somewhere. Never had any instruction or dedicated time to getting better. If I took my natural ability and actually learned how to properly use it, I don't think single digits, or even scratch, are too far-fetched.

I think anyone could get scratch with time or money no object. If they had the dedication and resilience to listen and learn.

I'd like to think I could get it to 9 this year, but that would be dreaming, instead of thinking. I'll never see single digits again.

I'd settle for an 11.

Starting next week, I have a medical thing coming up. Depends on how that turns out.

I resided in the + category but never far into it until I had kids. Best was a +2.2.

I could probably get there now that medical issues are calming down. I’d have to rely a little more on smarts and less overpowering of a course now. That and work hard on a short game. It used to be up and down for birdie. Now it’s up and down for par just as often.

But I think if I went all in, played 1/2 a week and spent 4 hours+ practicing I could be a + again next season. If not next, in 2 years almost certainly.

But I’ll never put in that kind of work. Life and all so if I can stay in the 5-8 range I’m happy.

Booooo!!!!! Results should be made public lol

If I had the time to work on it 5 days a week and could afford a swing coach I’d could be a scratch golfer. So many minor easy things I could improve quickly that would help a lot with my scoring.

I’m gonna say 10+ and hope I prove myself wrong at some point.

I’m not blessed with a lot of natural athletic ability. I’ve played/competed in a lot of different sports, and always had to work hard to be even halfway decent at any of them. Doesn’t stop me from trying and enjoying the process, but I keep my expectations realistic.

I’m currently playing off 15.4, which is the lowest I’ve ever been in my life. I’ve made significant improvement over the last 2-3 years (down from 20+), but I’m honestly not sure that even breaking into single digits would be realistic.

Last edited:
I'll say 1-2 because I feel like I'm only scratching the surface currently.
I would need more length, a few technique improvements, and better mental game - but with no restrictions like time or money i feel I could tackle them.

I think anyone could get scratch with time or money no object. If they had the dedication and resilience to listen and learn.
In my observation that last sentence is a huge stumbling block for many.

Last i played i was overweight and losing balls left and right, living 30km from my club with no car of my own.
I guestimate i can get around a 9ish HCP given proper practice opportunity before it turns into chore.

At my age now and with 3 kids? 1-2 if I were to actually begin practicing. As it is, I’ll take 8-9 and not have to practice, but instead just play a ton :ROFLMAO:

I could probably get down to an 8 or 9. That would be playing everyday on my home course and just getting all the shots down to a tee. It probably would not travel well.

I feel like I could get to 9 with enough time and practice. I've been hovering around 12-15 for a few years now.

maybe 4 to 6

my putting carries me and my short game is improving recently. To score better I have to improve my driving technique (which is possible) and eliminate the swing collapse I see when I rush on 1 to 2 holes a round. Getting rid of the random swing bombs is the toughest as I'm sure it is rooted in something fundamental in my game.

I’ve been in the 5-10 range a few times in my life when I was doing nothing more than playing a couple of times a week with a practice session once or twice a week.
If I can hold up to that again, and get a lesson or three, I’m confident I could get to the lower end of that range again.

My best was when I was 28-30 yrs old I got to a 7, playing 3 times a week

I think breaking 10 is still possible

I'm already in the 5-10 range (9.5), and if I wanted to put in the time and work I could probably lower it to a 7, maybe a 6, but I have no interest in putting in that extra time for...what?

5 point something is my lowest. Until I a) move somewhere I can play more than 6 months out of the year and b) actually dedicate time to practice that's likely as good as it's going to get - and I'm cool with that.

I really believe I can get to scratch but I’m not sure how much fun it would be.

If I really, really worked at it--lived, slept, ate, and breathed golf, 24x7x52, spent all my disposable time and income on it, I might be able to hit single digits. But, given my experiences so far and knowing myself, realistically I expect the best I'll ever do is mid-to-high teens--and perhaps not even that.

Then again: So far my commitment has remained more steadfast than I would have expected. So we shall see ;)

I really believe I can get to scratch but I’m not sure how much fun it would be.
There's a guy I know, gifted me a few clubs, used to be a scratch golfer. I've mentioned him before. He had to quit playing due to an auto accident injury. (He's hoping to play again someday.) Talking to him, last year, when I'd become frustrated and had nearly given up, he told me about his journey and what it took him to get there. Then he said "In a way, I really don't miss it."

Back