• 1-2

Votes: 14 14.0%

Votes: 10 10.0%
  • +

Votes: 14 14.0%
  • @canadan

Votes: 2 2.0%

• Total voters
No restrictions. You can do as much as you want to work on your game. What's the best you could do?
I believe that if I practiced every day, took lessons and got into shape, I could easily be a scratch golfer. Realisticly, its probably a 5-10 handicap though. I mean, Im around a 15 how and I only play once a week and never practice, so 5-10 is pretty gettable.

I really believe I can get to scratch but I’m not sure how much fun it would be.
If you are the type of person that enjoys the journey, the process of discovery, celebrates the little victories along the way, and is willing, even enjoys putting in the work, you'll get there.

I am trying to get to scratch this year, but those last couple of strokes are going to be very difficult to eliminate, given how far I hit the ball. It is very difficult to go mistake free and I don’t make enough birdies to cover all of the mistakes. It is doable, though.

If you are the type of person that enjoys the journey, the process of discovery, celebrates the little victories along the way, and is willing, even enjoys putting in the work, you'll get there.

Oh I can/could but the hours for no reason other than to say I did it, eh just go play.

At my age and current willingness(or lack there of) for practice time, I’ll guess I could get it to a +1.5 if my series of putting lessons coming up next month helps at all.

I am trying to get to scratch this year, but those last couple of strokes are going to be very difficult to eliminate, given how far I hit the ball. It is very difficult to go mistake free and I don’t make enough birdies to cover all of the mistakes. It is doable, though.
As someone who has been there. Here is what I experienced.
  • It took me 2-3 years to shave those last couple of strokes (but go for it my friend!)
  • Short game and consistency were absolutely the keys to getting there
  • Scratch golf is NOT mistake-free golf--scratch golfers are good, but they aren't THAT good
  • So I found I had to work on making more birdies
I'm not a long hitter either, but found there are plenty of birdie opportunities over the course of a round. Three shots into a par 5 is just fine. Put that third approach shot close to the cup and you'll birdie a lot of those holes. Similarly, par 3s give you an opportunity to put your tee shot close to the hole. Length isn't usually the issue. Accuracy is. Par 4 scoring benefit from working on accuracy on approach shots and becoming a scrambling machine.

You can do this!

As someone who has been there. Here is what I experienced.
  • It took me 2-3 years to shave those last couple of strokes (but go for it my friend!)
  • Short game and consistency were absolutely the keys to getting there
  • Scratch golf is NOT mistake-free golf--scratch golfers are good, but they aren't THAT good
  • So I found I had to work on making more birdies
I'm not a long hitter either, but found there are plenty of birdie opportunities over the course of a round. Three shots into a par 5 is just fine. Put that third approach shot close to the cup and you'll birdie a lot of those holes. Similarly, par 3s give you an opportunity to put your tee shot close to the hole. Length isn't usually the issue. Accuracy is. Par 4 scoring benefit from working on accuracy on approach shots and becoming a scrambling machine.

You can do this!
I agree with all of this. For much of my golfing life, I hovered around a 5 or 6. I didn’t play a round of golf until I was 28 years old and just launching a busy career. I never allowed golf to become more important than my kids, so, for much of my time in the game, I couldn’t really practice as much as I needed to get past that 5 or 6 plateau. I didn’t even play a round of golf from 2010 to 2016, when I finally had more time. I had no idea what my potential would be after such a layoff and reaching my mid-50’s. However, with the advancement of technology, I was still pulling the same clubs for the same distances, even though my club speed was less. I soon got back to that 5-6 range.

In 2019, I got some back issues addressed and towards the end of the year, I felt like I had jumped a level in my game. Then, last year, I started making more birdies. I went from making one most rounds to making 3, 4 or 5 in many rounds. This is when I thought it might be possible to get to scratch. 3 or 4 birdies could cover my mistakes. I set the goal to get to scratch in 2021. I now have enough time to practice and that has been the case for a couple of years.

This past Monday, I shot a 74 on a course with a 144 slope rating. I was one over at 16 and sitting in the fairway, 125 yards out. I skulled a pw and doubled the hole, but I came right back with a birdie on 17. I parred 18 to shoot 74, but I can see that it is possible for me to shoot even par on a tough track. If I can make 3 birdies and no doubles, I should be right there at par or one over for the round. This is why I believe it is possible, particularly given that an index is based on 40% of our rounds.

Picked 5-10.

Good enough to break 80 but not good enough to get mad when I don’t.

Maybe I'm fooling myself but I once got down to 10.4. I'd like to believe I can better that so I opted for 5-10, though I am pretty sure 9ish is my ceiling. And even then I may be dreaming.

I agree with all of this. For much of my golfing life, I hovered around a 5 or 6. I didn’t play a round of golf until I was 28 years old and just launching a busy career. I never allowed golf to become more important than my kids, so, for much of my time in the game, I couldn’t really practice as much as I needed to get past that 5 or 6 plateau. I didn’t even play a round of golf from 2010 to 2016, when I finally had more time. I had no idea what my potential would be after such a layoff and reaching my mid-50’s. However, with the advancement of technology, I was still pulling the same clubs for the same distances, even though my club speed was less. I soon got back to that 5-6 range.

In 2019, I got some back issues addressed and towards the end of the year, I felt like I had jumped a level in my game. Then, last year, I started making more birdies. I went from making one most rounds to making 3, 4 or 5 in many rounds. This is when I thought it might be possible to get to scratch. 3 or 4 birdies could cover my mistakes. I set the goal to get to scratch in 2021. I now have enough time to practice and that has been the case for a couple of years.

This past Monday, I shot a 74 on a course with a 144 slope rating. I was one over at 16 and sitting in the fairway, 125 yards out. I skulled a pw and doubled the hole, but I came right back with a birdie on 17. I parred 18 to shoot 74, but I can see that it is possible for me to shoot even par on a tough track. If I can make 3 birdies and no doubles, I should be right there at par or one over for the round. This is why I believe it is possible, particularly given that an index is based on 40% of our rounds.
Our story is also very similar (and common). I often tell golfers with kids who don't have the time they'd like. It's okay. This is the time to pour into your children. One of the wonderful things about this game is it is a game for a lifetime. It will be there when you reach a life stage where you have more time for it.

This may be the coolest self depreciating/self aware thread I've ever seen on social media golf.
I think I've sucked up a hundred or so tidbits of good advice.

I hit my best in 1995 when in my early 50's, a 5.0 and today I don't even keep a handicap. My best days are far behind me.

Without restrictions meaning I could truly dedicate myself to it, I’m certain a +handicap is not unobtainable

I often tell golfers with kids who don't have the time they'd like. It's okay. This is the time to pour into your children. One of the wonderful things about this game is it is a game for a lifetime. It will be there when you reach a life stage where you have more time for it.
Great perspective. Regardless of potential, there always seems to be areas where improvement is within reach. I think even to the point of learning how to get around the course and enjoy the game as we start to really age. I love reading posts from golfers who have lost distance as they've aged but can still tame a 6500 yard course. I can't overstate how exciting it is that overall improvement is still a possibility even as I get older - even if it's a small amount. There aren't a lot of activities in life where that applies.

Great perspective. Regardless of potential, there always seems to be areas where improvement is within reach. I think even to the point of learning how to get around the course and enjoy the game as we start to really age. I love reading posts from golfers who have lost distance as they've aged but can still tame a 6500 yard course. I can't overstate how exciting it is that overall improvement is still a possibility even as I get older - even if it's a small amount. There aren't a lot of activities in life where that applies.

Agreed. This game will always be a journey, and never a destination.

At my age and current willingness(or lack there of) for practice time, I’ll guess I could get it to a +1.5 if my series of putting lessons coming up next month helps at all.

I think it is easier to go from a 15 to a 10 than from a 1 to a +1.5

I am aiming for scratch and hopefully with a couple of years consistent practice and playing as much as I have in the last 2 years then fingers crossed it is possible.
I have certainly found greater consistency and agree with @Tenputt that making more birdies a round are the way to move the HC down as you can't be perfect tee to green all the time.

I think it is easier to go from a 15 to a 10 than from a 1 to a +1.5

Normally that would be true but in my case I putt like a 10-15 index especially from 4-8 feet.

Normally that would be true but in my case I putt like a 10-15 index especially from 4-8 feet.

Ouch. If you can figure out the putting thing, you probably won't have any problem reaching your goal. Do you think it is your stroke, the putter, or a combination of the two?

I am a 10.6 HI, and our club champion four years running said he wished he had my short game. I told him I wish I had his long game, lol.

My index is 8.3 now. If I found a pro that could help me improve my ball striking.... and refine my pitching and chipping....and I had the inclination to practice a lot more....and my back holds up....I could probably get down in the 5-6 range

Ouch. If you can figure out the putting thing, you probably won't have any problem reaching your goal. Do you think it is your stroke, the putter, or a combination of the two?

I am a 10.6 HI, and our club champion four years running said he wished he had my short game. I told him I wish I had his long game, lol.

It’s mostly a confidence thing but maybe the putting lessons will turn up a mechanical issue that will be an easy fix. I actually putted really well with a long putter for about 6 years about 15-20 years ago and if my putting lessons don't improve things for me I'll go back to that 46" broomstick this summer.

It’s mostly a confidence thing but maybe the putting lessons will turn up a mechanical issue that will be an easy fix. I actually putted really well with a long putter for about 6 years about 15-20 years ago and if my putting lessons don't improve things for me I'll go back to that 46" broomstick this summer.

Good luck, I hope you find some magic. :)

I am about a 9 right now. I can get into stretches where I have birdie putts on like 6-7 holes in a row. I can play pretty descent golf but I always tend to have a blow up here and there. If I could really devote time to practice again I put 3-5.

I have been near a 15-20 most of my golfing years. Was like the average guy that played once or twice a week during the summer. Never any instruction just figure it out. In 2009 stepped away from the game for the most part. Business and family required my time. Fast forward to 2015 sell business and semi retire. Get back to playing a few times a year. A few years later a buddy sells his business and wants to play more. Then he decides he needs to improve. Comes to me one day and says I want a simulator but don’t have any place for it. I had recently built myself a new 5000sq ft shop. He says if we can put it in the shop I’ll pay for it. So the answer is hell yes. We build it now have a place to hit balls daily. Then I start to figure out all my swing flaws. A life time of bad swing mechanics takes time to fix. Now that I know what they are I spend time trying to address them. Ball striking has improved drastically. Simulator coupled with some online drills to help with my mechanics and handicap should see dramatic improvement this season. There are no shortcuts to being a good golfer if you are not born with it. Now with time a place and motivation a lot which comes from THP that single digit cap is in reach.

I tend to go through patches of being able to play 2-3 times a week, then other times it is only once a week with maybe a range session if I can't get to the course, and that has got my index down to single figures

If I was able to practice and play more, I reckon I could get down to around the 3-5 mark (I have shot +2 and +3 a couple times over the last couple years) but maintaining it would be more of a problem than going even lower I think

Back