2021 weight loss and nutrition thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far this year I am down almost 40 pounds in the last 45 days. Sticking to 12-1500 calories a day and minimal carbs. Not eliminating them completely but logging everything I eat in myfitnesspal and tracking very closely. I'm sure my weight loss will slow down as my body adjusts but this is all being done with virtually no exercise since it is super cold here and no really opportunities to get out and be active.

I still have a long way to go to where I want to be and it is still hard to not eat all of the things I want to eat. I don't think I have a real end goal other than just teaching myself different eating habits.
Great job. 1200-1500 calories isn’t a lot. It’s amazing how quickly you can go through your daily calorie budget.

Great job. 1200-1500 calories isn’t a lot. It’s amazing how quickly you can go through your daily calorie budget.
Definitely cutting out snacking and portion control is the big thing. Breakfast is usually a bowl of cheerios with skim milk. Lunch is usually some form of chicken or turkey in a low carb wrap with some greek yogurt. Dinner is portion control of some sort of turkey, chicken, pork or seafood. I've had 1 "cheat" meal at a steakhouse on my birthday in January so far and that has been it. Cutting out takeout pizza and fast food has been the biggest portion of things.

I met my weight loss goal in about 2 months (195 to 170). Now the hard part - maintenance! I don’t need that rollercoaster anymore. Noom has really helped open my eyes on my diet. My metabolism was always pretty good so eating like a moron didn’t pack on the pounds in the past. Nearing 50 in age the metabolism is not quite as strong so need to be more mindful.

To be honest, I never could stomach Dr.Pepper, it tasted weird to me. But I seriously loved Coke! Not Pepsi! Coke! Pepsi was too sweet! Coke was just right. It is thus we establish our habits!

I am not really a soda drinker, but I had a regular cherry coke not too long ago thinking it was a diet (not that diet makes it much better it’s all garbage still) and it was so sweet I could literally feel myself getting diabetes.

Yeah that’s really low for an adult male. Barring those preparing for a procedure, I didn’t think I had ever heard of 1200.

Couldnt sustain that myself, I would gain it back quickly.

Yeah that’s really low for an adult male. Barring those preparing for a procedure, I didn’t think I had ever heard of 1200.

I went to one of those "medical weight loss" places several years ago and they wanted you to take these pills and follow this "diet" - it was like 750 - 1000 calories per day.

Nah. Not doing that. 👎

I am no medical expert. I know when I have been watching my calorie intake that when I get a few days that low I feel like garbage. No energy.

Same here. My wife and I did the Optiva diet deal in the Spring of 2019. It is 5 "fuelings" (bars or shakes) and a "sensible" supper (lean and green). It was about 1500 calories a day. I dropped 25 pounds in 5-6 weeks getting down to 217 which was the lightest I'd been since shortly after my heart attack. After the Odyssey Experience, I didn't continue the plan and slowly regained the weight.

I am no medical expert. I know when I have been watching my calorie intake that when I get a few days that low I feel like garbage. No energy.
I’m certainly not either. @GolferGal knows her stuff from her previous business so I go with her lead. I’m sure it’s not life threatening or anything haha, I just know me personally I would lose a ton and then out that right back pretty quickly with that type of intake and would feel pretty bad.

Went up over 200 last year and finally decided to do something about it earlier this year. Have started doing some at home workouts via YouTube videos and have ditched soda except for 1 coke zero a day. I've drank more water in the past month than I have in the past 3 years. Down 10lbs so far and already feel better. Looking forward to the next 10

Definitely cutting out snacking and portion control is the big thing. Breakfast is usually a bowl of cheerios with skim milk. Lunch is usually some form of chicken or turkey in a low carb wrap with some greek yogurt. Dinner is portion control of some sort of turkey, chicken, pork or seafood. I've had 1 "cheat" meal at a steakhouse on my birthday in January so far and that has been it. Cutting out takeout pizza and fast food has been the biggest portion of things.
You shouldn't be afraid of cheat meals and having it impact your weight loss. Actually quite a few plans out there recommend 1 cheat day week (or at least 1 cheat meal a week), and the weight loss is actually greater for those plans as compared to no cheat days since the cheat meal/day acts to reactivate/reset your metabolism.

Last edited:

It's actually not that bad. It takes a lot of willpower but portion control, no snacking and no fried foods has been the key. Right now is more about teaching myself to mke better food choices. I've never been a small guy but doordash has been too good of a friend over the last 10 months.

You shouldn't be afraid of cheat meals and having it impact your weight loss. Actually quite a few plans out there recommend 1 cheat day week (or at least 1 cheat meal a week), and the weight loss is actually greater for those plans as compared to no cheat days since the cheat meal/day acts to reactivate/reset your metabolism.

I am working towards introducing some things back in my diet for the long haul. Trying to take a slower approach right now. Unlike a drug or alcohol addict being able to completely stuff their vice I can't just quit food.

I've tried things in the past with short term success over a 3 month period or so but this time I want to be very cautious on what and when I introduce things back in otherwise I could fall completely off the wagon. I'm definitely being more conscious of working to create a permanent balance in what I eat versus eating junk all the time like I used to.

That being said, I am going to a nice steakhouse tonight for dinner and I'm looking forward to it.

I began following a better diet back in early December, quit drinking and now just coming off 2 weeks of Covid misery, I’m down from 205 to 174. We’ll see how long it lasts. 😳

Wish I felt good enough to enjoy the newfound flexibility and lower levels of wear and tear on my joints.... hopefully, that’ll come soon!

Used to be all the way up to 75kg when i last played golf... well into overweight territory for a 5ft6 guy.
2016, change of life, doing manual labor. Down to 64kg. Then back up around 67ish over 2.5 years of CS studies.
Went back and forth between 63 and 67 while working for the past 2 years, biking to office in the warm months and putting weight back on during the cold season...

This year has been a struggle. Locked down with the virus going around, working from home, the summer of biking to work never happened. Around August i had a tough meeting with the scale and decided this shall not stand.
Bought (and used!) kettlebells, went for at least a 30min walk each day, did more than my usual minimum effort bodyweight exercises.
Got the job done. Then winter crept up, going outside became less fun... well. I've managed not to fatten up this winter by clamping down on seasonal delicacies (chocolate :p), and I'm looking to drop all the way to a wiry 60-61kg through spring.

I've just turned 34 and I'm thoroughly convinced I've never been in better shape, and it's getting better, too.

I've drank more water in the past month than I have in the past 3 years.
Water is key, at least for me. It's all I drink during the day now. I do still have an occasional Dr Pepper, but nothing anywhere near the amount I used to drink.
I probably drink close to a gallon of water a day.

Like others have said in here about not being good at drinking water, I am the worst at it. I can go an entire day without taking a single sip of liquid except my coffee in the morning, it's so bad. I do my best to make an effort, but sometimes I just forget. I just picked this up from Amazon (it's a 64 oz water bottle), hoping it will help, we shall see...

71lnjdVJXsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I want to eat a large bag of potato chips so bad I had a dream and it was so real I spent like an hour looking for the empty bag in the house.

178 now from 201, down 23 lbs. since December 11th.

I am currently eating kale chips...that's when you know I am taking my health seriously because I am not really a fan of kale.

I know a guy in Texas who makes his own kale chips, and uses them for everything from snacks to chips for nachos.

Never had them, but they sound awful.

I know a guy in Texas who makes his own kale chips, and uses them for everything from snacks to chips for nachos.

Never had them, but they sound awful.

I won't lie, they aren't great, but they aren't the worst healthy thing I have eaten before. Kale in general is just very bitter, so you have to go into it expecting that flavor.

It took me a minute, but I finally restarted the DDPY program this morning. Went with the intermediate 2.0 again, being that I had great results last time. So it begins, 13 weeks of hearing “make DDPY your own”, “just step in” and “HULK IT OUT!”

My plan is to lose about 10 pounds and trim up the waistline. I am going to try to work in some light cardio on off days as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back