For me it’s just devastating to think the next time we might see tiger teeing off at the masters is the opening ceremony. I’d love to have tiger shove that notion in my face and get back out on tour. All tiger knows is golf and if he can’t even play it for fun anymore I worry how he handles that with everything he’s been through. On the other side of the coin maybe a separation from tour golf brings him happiness.

Last edited:
texting while driving?
At 7am? I suppose it's possible but the fact they are basing the thinking that he wasn't impaired on no paraphernalia in the car makes me kind of laugh. Had it been anyone else, there would have been a blood test done right away. Of, the privledges of being rich and famous.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Very early days, but folk shouldn’t be so quick to write Tiger off from ever returning to the golf course just yet. 2 words, Ben Hogan.

I talked to a buddy about the same thing today. Instead of slack, it’ll be Hogan he’s compared to now. Hogan went on a tear after the accident.

I talked to a buddy about the same thing today. Instead of slack, it’ll be Hogan he’s compared to now. Hogan went on a tear after the accident.

True. But to be fair to Tiger, there is a mountain of difference between 36 and 45 years old, from a recovery and longevity standpoint. Especially given his history of injury.

I just hope the poor guy can walk.

At 7am? I suppose it's possible but the fact they are basing the thinking that he wasn't impaired on no paraphernalia in the car makes me kind of laugh. Had it been anyone else, there would have been a blood test done right away. Of, the privledges of being rich and famous.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You do realize that to get a blood sample for blood test the police must either have consent or a search warrant. That warrant would only be issued upon a showing of probable cause of impairment.

The thing is, is that it happens everyday to normal people and we don’t hear about it or feel it. I know you know that. One of the things I learned when I was 16 years old is that it is important to remember that each time we see a loved one, it may be our last time. One night, my dad picked me up from work. The next morning, my brother and I were called home from school to learn that he was gone. that last car ride home with my dad would have been different if I had only known... but we never do.
Just this 5 months ago one of my son's tennis teammates was struck head on by a drunk driver and had both ankles and lower legs crushed. Last month he had a basketball game cancelled because their opponents coaches son was killed in a car accident. I worked at Allstate for 4 years adjusting auto accidents. Car accidents are often horrific.

Also if his injuries are like my son's friend his next 2 or 3 months of life are going to be absolutely miserable.

Last edited:
I don't even care if he golfs competitively again.

I just hope he gets to see his kids grow up and hopefully enjoy being their dad.

1,000 times this

You do realize that to get a blood sample for blood test the police must either have consent or a search warrant. That warrant would only be issued upon a showing of probable cause of impairment.
California is an Implied Consent state. You sign an acknowledgement of that when your drivers license is issued to you.

Last edited:
I just read through his injuries compound leg breaks and a shattered ankle.. sounds like he is lucky to be alive one and maybe lucky to walk.
His golfing career may very well be over. Super sad to see him go out this way..

texting while driving?
Yeah often distracted drivers hit things full speed. Drunk and impaired drivers often try to slow down.

California is an Implied Consent state.
An officer still has to have probable cause he was impaired no matter of implied consent or not

Why is Tiger driving himself around if he was there working? I just hope he recovers, I would hate to see his career ended short like this. I am one of those guys who still had faith he is going to win another major. Maybe he will come back like Ben Hogan did

California is an Implied Consent state.

Implied consent wouldn’t apply to a blood test. Implied consent would apply to a chemical test. Drivers can have their licenses suspended or revoked for refusing to submit to a chemical test (common one is a breathylyzer) upon demand.

Implied consent wouldn’t apply to a blood test. Implied consent would apply to a chemical test. Drivers can have the licenses suspended or revoked for refusing to submit to a chemical test (common one is a breathylyzer) upon demand.
OK, I won't argue the point with you. It was only my job (in CA) for 30 years. Read 23612 CVC.

Man sitting here and this is surreal. Man glad Tiger is alive.

OK, I won't argue the point with you. It was only my job (in CA) for 30 years. Read 23612 CVC.

honest question as you have me curious. In a vehicle accident like this. Would some kind of blood toxicity test be done no matter what?

There is going to be a police investigation and report? I would think that would be part of the investigation. I would think Tiger if sober would want that test done if nothing else to clear up speculation.

I’ll defer to your experience as I don’t practice in California.

Man....I'm heart sick...

This?
ARTICLE 1. General Provisions [23610 - 23614]
( Article 1 added by Stats. 1998, Ch. 118, Sec. 84. )

(a) (1) (A) A person who drives a motor vehicle is deemed to have given his or her consent to chemical testing of his or her blood or breath for the purpose of determining the alcoholic content of his or her blood, if lawfully arrested for an offense allegedly committed in violation of Section 23140, 23152, or 23153. If a blood or breath test, or both, are unavailable, then paragraph (2) of subdivision (d) applies.
(B) A person who drives a motor vehicle is deemed to have given his or her consent to chemical testing of his or her blood for the purpose of determining the drug content of his or her blood, if lawfully arrested for an offense allegedly committed in violation of Section 23140, 23152, or 23153. If a blood test is unavailable, the person shall be deemed to have given his or her consent to chemical testing of his or her urine and shall submit to a urine test.
(C) The testing shall be incidental to a lawful arrest and administered at the direction of a peace officer having reasonable cause to believe the person was driving a motor vehicle in violation of Section 23140, 23152, or 23153.

Just saw Ben Hogan was only 36 when his wreck occurred, but it was a bit worse.

This?

(a) (1) (A) A person who drives a motor vehicle is deemed to have given his or her consent to chemical testing of his or her blood or breath for the purpose of determining the alcoholic content of his or her blood, if lawfully arrested for an offense allegedly committed in violation of Section 23140, 23152, or 23153. If a blood or breath test, or both, are unavailable, then paragraph (2) of subdivision (d) applies.
(B) A person who drives a motor vehicle is deemed to have given his or her consent to chemical testing of his or her blood for the purpose of determining the drug content of his or her blood, if lawfully arrested for an offense allegedly committed in violation of Section 23140, 23152, or 23153. If a blood test is unavailable, the person shall be deemed to have given his or her consent to chemical testing of his or her urine and shall submit to a urine test.
(C) The testing shall be incidental to a lawful arrest and administered at the direction of a peace officer having reasonable cause to believe the person was driving a motor vehicle in violation of Section 23140, 23152, or 23153.
I didn’t quote the entire statute. Here’s another subsection:

(3) If the person is lawfully arrested for an offense allegedly committed in violation of Section 23140, 23152, or 23153, and, because of the need for medical treatment, the person is first transported to a medical facility where it is not feasible to administer a particular test of, or to obtain a particular sample of, the person’s blood or breath, the person has the choice of those tests, including a urine test, that are available at the facility to which that person has been transported. In that case, the officer shall advise the person of those tests that are available at the medical facility and that the person’s choice is limited to those tests that are available.
_____________……

All of the sections and subsections I read are expressly dependent upon a lawful arrest.

The fact that Tiger is going to survive what looked like an incredibly horrible crash is a blessing. He has a very long recovery probably both physically and emotionally. I wish him the best, and look forward to seeing him as an ambassador and help golf in different ways moving forward.

This?

Thanks for taking the time to read the California Vehicle Code (I presume) as to implied consent.

I would think that the words that I highlighted (if lawfully arrested) in the excerpt you provided are important. Need to be lawfully arrested for implied consent to apply.

honest question as you have me curious. In a vehicle accident like this. Would some kind of blood toxicity test be done no matter what?

There is going to be a police investigation and report? I would think that would be part of the investigation. I would think Tiger if sober would want that test done if nothing else to clear up speculation.
Well doctors don't love knocking someone out for surgery or pumping them full of chemicals without knowing what's already in their system, so I'm sure there's labs on it. The question would be if the police have a right/cause to that information, I would think.

Back