EXPERIENCE 2021 Grandaddy of Em All with Callaway Golf

I currently play a combo set of irons and it'd be tough to not put together another set. I really like the forgiveness of the long irons and the worability of the scoring irons.
I played a combo set the past 2 years, and I agree. It was fun having the extra forgiveness in the long irons, and the consistancy in the scoring irons. I wish my set was 4-7 forgiving, but it only went to 6i.

But then I wonder, why not just have the forgiveness all the way through? Would be fun to talk through with a fitter at ECPC, like some will do at the end if this year!

This thread is going to be over 1k post in no time.

Real question here is anyone not going to do a combo set with all of the work Callaway had done on them.
I would like to see the long irons in the dcb. The 7 iron was very good. I love the 6-7 irons in the 19s. So easy to hit.

When those that have played in the past returned home - what's the thing you remembered most - or better the story that you told your significant other?

the round table. you know the guys you see and listen to on the callaway youtube videos? the ones who have decades of experience producing some of the most successful clubs of all time? they all stop what they’re doing to sit in a closed door meeting with you and the team and answer ANYTHING you want to know. it was fascinating, it was transparent, and it was unforgettable.

i’ll also never forget 10 o’clock tony. but i didn’t share those stories with my s.o. lol

how long had you been a member when you got the nod for the grandaddy?
Oh, let me think. I don’t remember the exact day I started posting. I posted my intro thread on December 31st 2018. I was selected to go to The Grandaddy on May 30th of 2019. So somewhere between 5 months give or take a few days.

If they trusted a newbie like me to take on the task (I was super worried about living up to expectations), I’d say anyone would have a chance!

I think it would be fun, but they ended by saying that the majority of golfers would benefit from a straight thru set, no combos. I think combo sets are cool, and they put lots into them, but the same attention went into the non blended sets too.

With that said, my heart still wants a combo set :p
@vgolfman and @DNevsCG were pretty convincing on the combo benefits yesterday.

... and then told us they're designed to be played non-combo right at the end. It was a total mind****! :LOL:

I am so excited about Grandaddy this year. I missed it so much last December.

I am so excited about Grandaddy this year. I missed it so much last December.

The live threads are so bonkers!!! I’m excited to contribute as best I can!

The live threads are so bonkers!!! I’m excited to contribute as best I can!

it’s hard to find the right words for this, but i would say do your best without sacrificing the enjoyment of the moment. you have a team that will also be posting. don’t let the nowness of the event pass you by.

i remember the first time we drove up to the hideaway. i was posting something on the forum. then a giant scandinavian meat hook of a hand enveloped my skull and forcibly rotated my head to look out the window. and there it was. this place i had been lusting after for years. simultaneously happy for yet jealous of all those who had gone before me. now it was my time. my moment. my here and now. and i almost f’ing missed it were it not for @Luke WilliamsCG snapping me back to the reality of the present.

so yes, the forum wants and needs you to bring them along. but never forget that this trip and these plans were carefully crafted to maximize YOUR enjoyment as a participant and alum. so enjoy the ever lovin hell out of it!!!

it’s hard to find the right words for this, but i would say do your best without sacrificing the enjoyment of the moment. you have a team that will also be posting. don’t let the nowness of the event pass you by.

i remember the first time we drove up to the hideaway. i was posting something on the forum. then a giant scandinavian meat hook of a hand enveloped my skull and forcibly rotated my head to look out the window. and there it was. this place i had been lusting after for years. simultaneously happy for yet jealous of all those who had gone before me. now it was my time. my moment. my here and now. and i almost f’ing missed it were it not for @Luke WilliamsCG snapping me back to the reality of the present.

so yes, the forum wants and needs you to bring them along. but never forget that this trip and these plans were carefully crafted to maximize YOUR enjoyment as a participant and alum. so enjoy the ever lovin hell out of it!!!
Great post about being present. I'm sure its difficult to balance posting for the forum and enjoying everything for yourself. But this lesson from first hand experience is great!

... and then told us they're designed to be played non-combo right at the end. It was a total mind****! :LOL:
I was so excited about combos, then quickly had to convince myself I was in the minority that would definitely benefit from a combo set. Thankfully I'm easily persuaded by myself :ROFLMAO:

Great post about being present. I'm sure its difficult to balance posting for the forum and enjoying everything for yourself. But this lesson from first hand experience is great!
I can attest to this. I posted a lot leading up to the event, and a lot afterwards. While I was there I didn't post as much and while I regret that some I also realize that I had the time of my life and was taking in everything possible. Ask my teammates, I walked around in a trance for on a cloud for 5 days.
While playing I drove the cart both days and relied on my cartner to post for us. I played cheerleader when they where down and praised when they played well but made sure they where having fun.
I took my ribbings whenever they came at me and had the time of my life. It is all what you make of it while there. We all want to do the best we could to bring the forum along during the event but it is a balancing act also.
Honestly I wouldn't change a thing if i had to do it again. Well I may not call out @Luke WilliamsCG again but that was a blast and some thing I will never forget.

This is such a cool event. Reading all the pages and insights and experiences is.... I really don't have words for it.

When those that have played in the past returned home - what's the thing you remembered most - or better the story that you told your significant other?

I have done my best to remember...EVERYTHING. Every moment... and I revisit them in photos or daydreams. Frankly I’m pretty sure my wife is feigning interest at this point and is sick of hearing about The Grandaddy, but I’ve seen the bulk of what Lifetime Movie Network has to offer so let’s call it even.

I have done my best to remember...EVERYTHING. Every moment... and I revisit them in photos or daydreams. Frankly I’m pretty sure my wife is feigning interest at this point and is sick of hearing about The Grandaddy, but I’ve seen the bulk of what Lifetime Movie Network has to offer so let’s call it even.
Careful, there are other movie networks. There’s only one Grandaddy! :LOL:

I just don’t see how the next line of clubs that will be replacing the Mavrik’s will be able to compete with this years line up. When your are getting fit at the granddaddy is the new line the ones you are being fit with/into? I can see a lot of granddaddy participants wanting the something from the apex line or Epic line

Good thing I've got some lessons schedule this spring. May be going into the year slightly less than hacker so someone's going to want me their team 😂

To clarify, the Combo sets were created to help golfers, but we feel a majority of golfers will still be best served by standard sets. This is our first year with four specific combo sets. Time will tell, but I stand by what was said. Happy to answer questions. Be sure to tag me so I get a notification. Would love to be on here more, but you know, I have people to fit into combo sets. :sneaky:

To clarify, the Combo sets were created to help golfers, but we feel a majority of golfers will still be best served by standard sets. This is our first year with four specific combo sets. Time will tell, but I stand by what was said. Happy to answer questions. Be sure to tag me so I get a notification. Would love to be on here more, but you know, I have people to fit into combo sets. :sneaky:
Haha! I think how you put it came through really well actually. And the combo options just make it so there really is something for everyone, built for them, instead of needing to be cobbled together. Which is awesome, and it looks like a bunch of us here are taking advantage of that. (y)

I just don’t see how the next line of clubs that will be replacing the Mavrik’s will be able to compete with this years line up. When your are getting fit at the granddaddy is the new line the ones you are being fit with/into? I can see a lot of granddaddy participants wanting the something from the apex line or Epic line
The lineups have been open to all in the past. That said, the MAVRIK line was more tech filled than the Apex that was still in line before it.

Back