I have bought a lot of after market $200-300 shafts for $30-40. Those expensive shafts of today will be highly discounted 2-3 years from now. They aren't going to perform any different priced at $40 as they did at previously at $300.

Perhaps you are right. But I can understand this for the accomplished golfer, but I am not so sure about the bogey golfer. I have a friend on the LPGA Tour and she has the Tour AD shafts in her driver/woods, and the SteelFibers in her irons and wedges...of course she didn't pay for her equipment, PXG did, lol.

I have seen shafts for $1000, and I can't see how a shaft that expensive is THAT much better than its less expensive brethren.

I can say I’m excited to put a Tour AD DI into my driver this year. Whether it’s better than the $20 shaft? I dunno. I do know I won’t blame the shaft.

I’ve actually found some really good profiles for me (yeah, not normal) in the $50-$100 range.

I’m between two thoughts with driver. 1. Rebar. Beat it all you want, it won’t hurt it. (Went this with 3w+ and it’s the one club I can beat down and will not care). 2. Slightly (ever so) bendy. So I’m committed to graphite except GW + or putter this year. I’m sticking to steel here. No good reason other than I like the feel when I’m trying to stick it 12ft more than graphite. I’ll tske the just get it on from 190 with graphite more, but for touch ups, can’t best steal.

I have bought a lot of after market $200-300 shafts for $30-40. Those expensive shafts of today will be highly discounted 2-3 years from now. They aren't going to perform any different priced at $40 as they did at previously at $300.

Yup. Sure they’re maybe 2% not as good but Yeesh. I can’t even keep my swing on the same 2* plane.

Shafts are something I haven't messed with because I don't have ready access to a launch monitor and a bunch of different shafts to test. It would become an expensive proposition to go down the "buy and try" road. I was fit into the shafts in all my clubs, but it wasn't an exhaustive, comprehensive fitting with a bunch of different shafts from different manufacturers. There could be something better out there for me and I'd gladly tinker if I had access, but I don't lie awake at night thinking about it.

That said, I'd spend the money if I found a $300 or $400 shaft that really made me go 'wow' at the results.

During my fitting we found shafts that worked really well for me. The iron shafts weren't bad, I think like $70 per. Nothing else was any better, so it was an easy choice.

Driver was another story. Nothing made any real difference except for the $300 shaft. And it made a big difference. Closed my eyes and pulled the trigger. Pent an extra $50 customizing it, because why not?

Hopefully the improvements in the fitting translate to the course.

Back