First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Looking forward to your thoughts vs. your CF16's.
I'll definitely post up some feedback after I get to hit them this weekend albeit indoors. Im very familiar with my cf16 numbers so I'm looking forward to confirming my fitting results in the sim.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

I got to play my Apex irons with MMT 95 shafts on course for the first time first time today and hit them really well. The combination feels so good and the performance even on mishits is good.

havent been on THP due to kids, work and whatnot (or at least I havent been able to check often past few days)

but i finally got them! Apex pros w/ MMTs. And they look awesome! Unfortunately play time will have to wait until next week. And even next week is iffy due to potential jury duty. Until then I’m practicing my swing in the house.

163227C3-9702-4404-B7CB-337287719BD9.jpeg783E6899-9BF6-4153-936A-1C747E69DF90.jpeg

Second round in on a simulator and I'm more in awe of them each swing. Still getting my consistency down a little bit but the Pros do a TON of the work for you even if you're off a little bit. Just fantastic sticks

Well it's going to be an Apex spring for me. Obviously got my 4-7 Pro's to pair with my MB's pretty early. Limited returns on that are good. Have a full set to play around with for bit, but ordered TCB's, the rest of the Pro set to match, and 3 and 4 iron standards to mix and play around with. So my like-shafted/spec'd (IO 6.5 +1/4") Apex's once the rest arrive will be:

'21 Apex 3-4
'21 Apex Pro 4-A
'21 Apex TCB 5-A
'21 Apex MB 6-A

Should have just about any mix and match I can think of covered. And should be a good time working it all out!

My set is being shipped!

Well it's going to be an Apex spring for me. Obviously got my 4-7 Pro's to pair with my MB's pretty early. Limited returns on that are good. Have a full set to play around with for bit, but ordered TCB's, the rest of the Pro set to match, and 3 and 4 iron standards to mix and play around with. So my like-shafted/spec'd (IO 6.5 +1/4") Apex's once the rest arrive will be:

'21 Apex 3-4
'21 Apex Pro 4-A
'21 Apex TCB 5-A
'21 Apex MB 6-A

Should have just about any mix and match I can think of covered. And should be a good time working it all out!
You're the best kind of crazy lol

My set is being shipped!

Yes!! If they don't open the courses back up here with everyone having new stuff to play, it's going to get ugly.

Yes!! If they don't open the courses back up here with everyone having new stuff to play, it's going to get ugly.

This statement is so awesome.

Backordered dates keep moving farther away. First 2/22 then 3/01 and now 3/29.

Same here. Only pushed out to 3/8-3/15 right now, but still moving in the wrong direction. I know I don't need them right now, but seeing all these people get theirs sure makes me want them now!

havent been on THP due to kids, work and whatnot (or at least I havent been able to check often past few days)

but i finally got them! Apex pros w/ MMTs. And they look awesome! Unfortunately play time will have to wait until next week. And even next week is iffy due to potential jury duty. Until then I’m practicing my swing in the house.

View attachment 8995025View attachment 8995026
I want to get these out so bad right now, but rain setting in tomorrow over the next 5 days (probably 3-5"), so next week is out of the question too. Will be too wet. On the plus side my driver (Epic Max LS) shipped yesterday, so should be able to have everything in the bag before I get out. Seeing them just sitting in my sun room not being played is kind of depressing though, lol.

So the snow finally melted and a few area courses have opened and I was finally able to get on the course with my new clubs. Mixed combo set 6 thru AW with Recoil Dart R flex shafts.
The Good news!
My first shot using a iron was on the par 3 4th hole. 156 yards to the pin with a slight helping wind. Please see the attached photo, thought it was going in!! Ball ended up about 15 feet from the hole and made par. This is a Great sign for a new set of irons. I played the 6 & 7 regular Apex irons great the whole day... very happy with these irons,
The Bad news..
Did not have a good day with the 8 thru Aw Pro irons. Although I have hit them good off the mats at the range I really struggled with them on the course. Hit a lot of thin shots with them, they were still pretty forgiving even though I didn’t hit them very well. Disappointed because they are one of the best looking irons I have ever owned.
I still have some time to try them to see if I have made a mistake with these and decide to exercise the 30 day quarantee and trade them back for the regular Apex.

Attachments

• 0F341671-4C4E-4F6B-84AF-862AEFD814BC.jpeg
    0F341671-4C4E-4F6B-84AF-862AEFD814BC.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 19
So the snow finally melted and a few area courses have opened and I was finally able to get on the course with my new clubs. Mixed combo set 6 thru AW with Recoil Dart R flex shafts.
The Good news!
My first shot using a iron was on the par 3 4th hole. 156 yards to the pin with a slight helping wind. Please see the attached photo, thought it was going in!! Ball ended up about 15 feet from the hole and made par. This is a Great sign for a new set of irons. I played the 6 & 7 regular Apex irons great the whole day... very happy with these irons,
The Bad news..
Did not have a good day with the 8 thru Aw Pro irons. Although I have hit them good off the mats at the range I really struggled with them on the course. Hit a lot of thin shots with them, they were still pretty forgiving even though I didn’t hit them very well. Disappointed because they are one of the best looking irons I have ever owned.
I still have some time to try them to see if I have made a mistake with these and decide to exercise the 30 day quarantee and trade them back for the regular Apex.
Is a thin your normal miss? I tend to hit chunky shots as my miss with the shorter clubs. Just curious as this is the second person I have heard from struggling with the short irons in the pros.

For the folks with backorder dates, make sure it's not something dumb like the grips. When I ordered mine, the Z-grips would have delayed them until April, but I just got them yesterday.

Well, when I contacted Callaway last week I was given a ship date of tomorrow - 2/24. Being as impatient as I am, I decided to call up today to confirm that was still the case. Nope. Now have a shipping date of 3/10. Pretty bummed since I ordered on the first day of presale and I was told the delay was due to not having the Apex Pro heads in inventory. Bit of a head scratcher. But, to try to make the best of this delay I made a switch to my order. I've been on the fence about moving into the MMT's since these clubs were released. I called Callaway back to adjust my order and have moved into the MMT 105 TX's. Pretty pumped. I'm starting to feel the effects of a broken wrist in college and was having some wrist pain after hitting balls on consecutive days last year and hope this helps me practice/play some more. I'm in Michigan, so it's not like I'll be playing anytime soon. I think the MMT's are going to look pretty slick with the Pro 21 heads and Tour Velvet Align grips... a la Rickie. Will post pictures whenever these beauties finally arrive. Until then, I'll continue to live vicariously through all who have their irons already.

Just a heads up to all who are still contemplating their order and possibly going with the MMT 105 TX. I've had quite the runaround with this order, which is strange considering I've never had issues like this before. Anyway, you can see my delays in the above post. Well, when I modified my order I was told I would stick with an expected ship date of 3/10. When the new order hit my account it was showing a ship date of 4/7 - 4/13. I called yesterday and spoke to someone in customer service who would update me within the hour...didn't hear back. Called again today and was told that the 4/7 - 4/13 date was inaccurate, for the MMT 105 TX shafts I was actually looking at a ship date in MAY. Pretty odd b/c the MMT 105 TX is the stock graphite option in the pros. You'd think they would have plenty of inventory. I'm switching back into my trust C Tapers, wrist pain be damned. Thought the delay I heard of would be useful for everyone here. Good news is the clubs should be built next week and shipped, so I'll have them soon enough or at least before May.

Is a thin your normal miss? I tend to hit chunky shots as my miss with the shorter clubs. Just curious as this is the second person I have heard from struggling with the short irons in the pros.
No...actually my normal bad swing with short irons is a chunk,
Going out for a quick 9 this afternoon... not worried about score, going to hit the irons more.....

Just a heads up to all who are still contemplating their order and possibly going with the MMT 105 TX. I've had quite the runaround with this order, which is strange considering I've never had issues like this before. Anyway, you can see my delays in the above post. Well, when I modified my order I was told I would stick with an expected ship date of 3/10. When the new order hit my account it was showing a ship date of 4/7 - 4/13. I called yesterday and spoke to someone in customer service who would update me within the hour...didn't hear back. Called again today and was told that the 4/7 - 4/13 date was inaccurate, for the MMT 105 TX shafts I was actually looking at a ship date in MAY. Pretty odd b/c the MMT 105 TX is the stock graphite option in the pros. You'd think they would have plenty of inventory. I'm switching back into my trust C Tapers, wrist pain be damned. Thought the delay I heard of would be useful for everyone here. Good news is the clubs should be built next week and shipped, so I'll have them soon enough or at least before May.
Delays are across the board with all companies I think. I talked to my fitter yesterday because I'm still waiting on my Driver ordered on 1/29 from Callaway and he said, don't be surprised if you order stuff around May that the expected ship dates be 2-3 months out. Golf has boomed and suppliers from shaft and grip companies are having issues keeping up with demand.

We actually avoided the stock (steel and graphite) shafts in the fitting I did due to delay reasons. I'm wondering if the allocation of the stock setup was what got sent to shops/etc. for inventory.

No...actually my normal bad swing with short irons is a chunk,
Going out for a quick 9 this afternoon... not worried about score, going to hit the irons more.....
Interested to hear more feedback. Like I said, it will be a couple weeks before I am able to get mine out to a course to get some real turf interaction.

Delays are across the board with all companies I think. I talked to my fitter yesterday because I'm still waiting on my Driver ordered on 1/29 from Callaway and he said, don't be surprised if you order stuff around May that the expected ship dates be 2-3 months out.
Geez :( My plan had been to complete my off-season lessons, begin playing, and, if it seemed called-for, go get fit for new irons. I was thinking that, if that happened, it'd happen 'round about May or June. If delays like this exist, that means I wouldn't see my new clubs until August or September. That would leave me with a whole month or two to play them. That would suck.

Geez :( My plan had been to complete my off-season lessons, begin playing, and, if it seemed called-for, go get fit for new irons. I was thinking that, if that happened, it'd happen 'round about May or June. If delays like this exist, that means I wouldn't see my new clubs until August or September. That would leave me with a whole month or two to play them. That would suck.
This was just his prediction. Nothing written in stone, but I could definitely see it happening with as much as people are experiencing right now.

I think once the initial demand wears off, we'll see production catch up. So far, the delays seem to be component related from what I can tell.

It's SOOOO good watching this thread fill up with deliveries. I cannot wait to get mine. Hoping they ship this week!

Back