One Length Irons Thread: Join the Revolution

I’ve never swung a OL iron, but that’s pretty much what I figured. An inch and a quarter isn’t much difference, it’s not like I’m standing there holding a driver length PW.

I’d think the biggest thing would just be learning to trust your distances through experience, isn’t it?
I will find out soon. I am kind of thinking the extra speed generated by that 1.25" (yes I know not a ton) might help my gapping. As a slower swing speed player I lose distance pretty quick as lofts go up. That can cause some gapping issues for me from 9 to PW and then PW to GW. That little bit of extra clubhead speed might help some

So doing even more research on the OL RadSpeed and FT Irons has really piqued my interest. I have been on Cobra website for many, many days now. I am just trying to figure out how I am going to justify $1000 plus to the wife as we get ready to buy a 2nd house down in Florida. Need to work on every excuse in the book to pull this one off.....

So doing even more research on the OL RadSpeed and FT Irons has really piqued my interest. I have been on Cobra website for many, many days now. I am just trying to figure out how I am going to justify $1000 plus to the wife as we get ready to buy a 2nd house down in Florida. Need to work on every excuse in the book to pull this one off.....
Won’t you need a set of clubs in each house? 🤔

What's the longest length anyone here has done for their length?

I've thought about doing a 38 or 38.5 if I were to make the switch

Curiosity as to why?

Need a backup set for the other house so you're not having to transport a heavy golf bag back and forth all the time.

getting ready to dive in.

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, pw, gw is for sure OL.

then D, utility/4i, 54, 60 VL at this point.

debating carrying a 2nd 54* wedge in OL, and either a OL 4i or 4h depending on how the top of the bag looks.
:unsure:
What set are you getting 5-GW?

@baylrballa I am interested in rad speed OL 4i. That said, I had struggled with the OL hybrids for nearly a year and have been killing them this week. Yours sounds like a great OL combo set; I am going to put the OL hybrids back in for a few rounds and see how it goes.

Last edited:
@baylrballa I am interested in rad speed OL 4i. That said, I had struggled with the OL hybrids for nearly a year and have been killing them this week. Yours sounds like a great OL combo set; I am going to put the OL hybrids back in for a few rounds and see how it goes.
I'll be watching updates. I'm most curious how the 5i elevates.whatever goes above the 5i I really just want to go a bit over 200 and stop.

I really just swing my 4-5 irons way better than any other iron
I’m just the opposite - I’d seriously consider going 8 iron length, unless there is a good reason not to. The 8 iron is a very comfortable club for me.

I really just swing my 4-5 irons way better than any other iron

I genuinely believe as precision came into play in the scoring clubs, some issues could persist. Just my opinion as clubs get rather long there, but some testing could resolve that for sure.

I’m just the opposite - I’d seriously consider going 8 iron length, unless there is a good reason not to. The 8 iron is a very comfortable club for me.
Same here, My 8 iron I never miss hit.

Going longer? Interesting 🧐...

@JB’s set up at the 8 iron length IMO, provides the control without giving up any distance. Except for the OL hybrid, I started hitting these flares to the right and couldn’t get it figured out the last time I hit in the Sim.

I'll be watching updates. I'm most curious how the 5i elevates.whatever goes above the 5i I really just want to go a bit over 200 and stop.
Will get some sim time later today with 5 and 6 iron. Hoping I see that 200+ number you are looking for.

Question for the group: if one chooses a longer OL set, say the 38” in question, could one simply trim a bit off the ends if they aren’t happy with their consistency? Putting swing weight issues aside, theoretically the only thing that should happen is the max distance for each club would come down, but the yardage gapping should remain similar. Is that a fair assessment or is there something I’m missing?

Oh, another question that may have been asked and answered, so forgive me if that is the case, but does Cobra make heads in different weights to accommodate orders for longer/shorter OL clubs or do they still swing weight the old fashioned way for clubs that stray from 7i length?

Question for the group: if one chooses a longer OL set, say the 38” in question, could one simply trim a bit off the ends if they aren’t happy with their consistency? Putting swing weight issues aside, theoretically the only thing that should happen is the max distance for each club would come down, but the yardage gapping should remain similar. Is that a fair assessment or is there something I’m missing?

Oh, another question that may have been asked and answered, so forgive me if that is the case, but does Cobra make heads in different weights to accommodate orders for longer/shorter OL clubs or do they still swing weight the old fashioned way for clubs that stray from 7i length?
That’s a question that @JB can probably answer. There is some built in adjustability with toe weight screw. JB can probably spread more light on your question

Check out the featured article on RADSpeed when you grt a chance. Their toe weighing is an easy way to adapt swing weight.

Thinking of new irons this season, and Cobra RADSPEED, possibly OL, were on my short list. Then along comes @Davidhibler's For those who have considered going one length..., which caused me to do some research on OL, which caused me to read the Cobra RADSPEED Irons thread, which caused me to read this thread.

Now I'm thinking Cobra RADSPEED OL irons may have moved to the top of the list.

When I have hit them, one of the things that you have to remember is to set up to the ball like you are hitting an 7 or 8 iron, regardless of what club you grab.

I find my self trying to move the ball forward in my stance with the 5 & 6 irons, but you aren’t supposed to do that like with a variable length set.
This is a big one for me. Admittedly probably mainly due to me being a new player, but the whole moving the ball around in one's stance based on the iron has given me trouble from Day One.

There is always resistance to something so new/different that eventually wears off. All model-Ts originally came in the color choice of black or black, now you want your Ford Fusion in Ruby red, sure no problem. That didn't happen over night either.

View attachment 8978972
Re: The chart above: I'm a "tech enthusiast," but I'm also a pragmatist. I.e.: Tech is all well-and-good, but I have to see evidence, by way of a convincing argument, proven track record, or both, before I buy in. So I guess I fall into the "chasm" demographic.

I'm reading the arguments and find them convincing. I'm reading of @JB's and others' experiences and find them persuasive, too.

I think this needs some info to quantify though.
Are huge numbers of THPers ready to jump in and buy a set? Time will tell.
I'll tell you this: I'm a damn sight closer now than I was a mere 24 hours ago.

To me golf is about repeatable consistency to produce shots that keep low scores and if OL irons assist someone in that, it makes sense.
The reduction in variables, yes. This calls to me. Strongly.

For others at what point do you think the OL is not usable? Do u go up to 4hybrid or higher up the bag? Same going down? Can you go all the way to your most lofted club?
I cannot answer this question, obviously, but I'm thinking 5i-GW in OL, keep my new Mav 4h and keep my 54° and 58° CBX wedges.

I read through every post. OL is novel and there is an appeal in the sense that maybe there is a different way. But what I don’t see is evidence that OL measurably improves performance.
In reading OL articles, last night, one thing appears to be fairly constant: For amateurs, mid- to high-handicappers, a performance gain is seen in the "long" end of the bag because they hit those irons more consistently than they do the VL irons at that end of the bag, with little to no loss in distance. Heck, look at JB's improved GIR. (Boy, would that ever make me happy!)

Yeah. Each update gets me closer and closer...
Yup.

OK, I want to do this.
Viva la revolución! :ROFLMAO:

Need a backup set for the other house so you're not having to transport a heavy golf bag back and forth all the time.

Yes I do and I have made that known. Now the decision will be which set goes where. OL in Florida or NY?

Yes I do and I have made that known. Now the decision will be which set goes where. OL in Florida or NY?
If it were me, I'd keep the OL set where you'll be playing most often. I think the system requires repetition to make it worthwhile. If it's something you just grab occasionally, it will feel out of place.

If it were me, I'd keep the OL set where you'll be playing most often. I think the system requires repetition to make it worthwhile. If it's something you just grab occasionally, it will feel out of place.

Yes for now they will be in NY. I am hoping to order them in the next month or so and start using them from the start of the season here in NY. House in Florida won't be ready before late 2021 anyway. And at that point I will not be a full time Florida resident for 2-3 more years.

Back