Why Are You NOT Scheduling Lessons

Had this one in the memory bank Dan. So just 4 rounds of Golf this year, a lot more range for some odd reason, but a wonky swing. The fools gold was 2 rounds ago shooting 81 with three 3 jacks but I KNEW it was a bad swing, distances were so short, I was just able to score that day. The following week my swing caught up with me for a nice 91 and I knew I needed help.

So I decided to shut it down last weekend, enjoyed the beach life, and messaged a local pro to schedule up a lesson.

Met yesterday and had me swing, and it was ugly. A few off the Ho-Zell. Thinned shots. The occasional “stripe.” And hooks.

My main problem with golf has been casting, as seen below in both photos on the left, and on the takeaway the dreaded problem of rolling my wrists causing a flat back swing.

He had me put a bucket, using my forearms to hold the bucket, take the club away and turn. That helped with just bringing the club back square, no early wrist hinge nor rolling.

Had me do that several times for the feel but it was the down swing that opened my eyes. On the down swing he wants me right elbow to squeeze my body, have that right elbow lower than my left elbow, getting me to have that in to out swing and THE DRAW! Compression. Divots. High ball flight. I’m like F’N finally.

I only hit AW and 8i but it was truly fun. So much less thinking. Basically said “wide arms, turn, and squeeze.” As opposed to me thinking about 7 other swing thoughts.

Easy/fun drills to work on from home, that Takeaway, and scheduling up with him next weekend. Not going to Golf much since I’m buying into this method/coach.

Attachments

• 42A45FCF-25E8-4B86-BF0E-CA63516C73B3.png
    42A45FCF-25E8-4B86-BF0E-CA63516C73B3.png
    209.7 KB · Views: 17
  • AF767FE8-704D-4E55-9B48-CE796D7D8574.png
    AF767FE8-704D-4E55-9B48-CE796D7D8574.png
    199.1 KB · Views: 17
I have taken two lessons in the last month. I have six more in this series. I have worked with the same swing coach pretty regularly for over a year now. He can get me back on track in one session, usually. Then, it is about working on improvement.

The last lesson, we worked on nothing but wedges, everything from 30 yard flops to 140 yard full swings with a pw. Honestly, and I know that it is not new thought, the lessons are much more helpful to my game than any equipment I could purchase.

I like to "master" what I was taught in a previous lesson, before I have another. I know what I need to work on, and just have to practice that until I feel comfortable with it.

As indicated previously, I plan on scheduling lessons when the season opens here. It will be my third lesson ever. I have been playing golf since 1972. My last lesson was in 2002.

Dan are you taking lessons this year?

We had snowmeggedon last week. Waiting for the range to open up and better weather.

I'm lefty. Everything's backwards.

Also, my swing isn't something that I can really concentrate on. I'm afraid that they'll want to change more than I'm willing to change.

1. Time
2. The lessons I had from a previous instructor soured me.

My instructor passed (RIP) three years ago. I can't get my head around meeting a new instructor. He was a prince of a guy.

I will be again and am genuinely looking forward to it.

previously I had avoided it in spots when I was honest with myself and didn’t think I had time to practice what I was learning.

That’s where I’m at currently.

I bought a 5 pack of lessons from my usual guy near the end of last season.

We had one lesson (a general tune up) but since the weather has turned I haven’t had the chance to go groove the adjustments we made.

Once I can do that I will schedule the next one so we can move on.

Matt:

In addition to having to deal with a shoulder problem, I am a # 3 in your list - Winter. I will not pick up a club until the range at my club opens in late March or early April. I know that you say I can do the work at home over the winter. My fear is that without being able to swing a club and hit any balls, how can I subjectively determine what if any progress I am making. How do I know what I would be working on is improving my swing without me being able to witness it?
I heard about swinging a club, no ball, indoors for practice. 100 swings a day. Did that for a while one winter and when the season started found that I picked up where I left off.

The I heard about swinging slo motion. Thought that was odd but gave it a try. Really helped me understand where my club bottoms out and what my club face does.

Rarely go to a range to practice , with a ball. Usually just get to the course a few minutes early and spend a few minutes just slo mo then a few full speed swings.

Lessons are expensive but I’m still scheduling them. Our coach spends more time with my sons than me, but getting some good feedback and the boys love it. Family is planning a golf trip this year/next and working myself into some less embarrassing state!

Expense. Besides no instructor has ever worked with me on fixing early extension despite me asking them... ever... so why waste my money? You can see it on videos of my swing. I've had better luck with some Youtube videos and working on it myself - grip change, takeaway positions, trying to mimic Hogan on the slide turn with the hips and keep the trail elbow in front of the ribs.

Normally have not taken lessons but n the winter. I am doing 2 a month for 3 months. I am now more consistent, hitting it longer and understand my swing. All will be lost and forgotten by summer...jk

Time, I don't have regular hours and travel regionally. An overnight stay during the week is generally the norm, and the day or days may change. Couple that with living in a rural area and it challenging.

I am fortunate and have 4 courses within a half hour drive, but none offer instruction. Funny thing is the one course that did had a pro that left to coach at the college. They indicated he still did lessons. I emailed him and sent him a DM and he didn't answer either. My next closest option is 45 minutes away at a simulator store, where the clubfitter who looks about 25 offers lessons. The timing may be flexible, but I am wary of his skillset.

I’m 60. I’m not rich. I’m not chasing numbers anymore. I have a home grown swing that works for me... mostly. If I need to work on something in particular, I work on that knowing my particular swing. Generally play the same courses through the year and just playing will get me the practice I need. Over the winter, a couple trips to the range keeps the muscle memory intact and I start the season playing pretty good since I don’t expect much. It’s when I start to think after a few weeks that I start tailing off. Then it gradually comes back. I also play with the same 2 guys who haven’t taken any money off me in 30 years. When I go out solo or get paired up, I’m out to have some fun and a couple of beers. And to be honest, I will play better than 95% of those I get paired with. I’m not playing for millions or $5 trophies. Haven’t put in for a handicap in 30 years. I may have to consider one this year since my nephew is attending St. Andrews University and has offered to try and get me on later in the fall or Spring of 2022. He gets some priority as a student and if I can afford to go, I might need that #.

Depending on where/when I play, 1 lesson=4-5 rounds. I’d rather play 4-5 rounds.

Because I’m injured right now.
And I am still working on a couple of things from the last lesson 3 weeks ago.

Honestly, the only instructors I know in my immediate area I don't really trust as stewards of my game. But, I would actually like to have an instructor as I want someone qualified to examine my gfrip and adjust as/if necessary.

I’m 60. I’m not rich. I’m not chasing numbers anymore. I have a home grown swing that works for me... mostly. If I need to work on something in particular, I work on that knowing my particular swing. Generally play the same courses through the year and just playing will get me the practice I need. Over the winter, a couple trips to the range keeps the muscle memory intact and I start the season playing pretty good since I don’t expect much. It’s when I start to think after a few weeks that I start tailing off. Then it gradually comes back. I also play with the same 2 guys who haven’t taken any money off me in 30 years. When I go out solo or get paired up, I’m out to have some fun and a couple of beers. And to be honest, I will play better than 95% of those I get paired with. I’m not playing for millions or $5 trophies. Haven’t put in for a handicap in 30 years. I may have to consider one this year since my nephew is attending St. Andrews University and has offered to try and get me on later in the fall or Spring of 2022. He gets some priority as a student and if I can afford to go, I might need that #.

I'm in the same boat. I'm 68, retired, and my goal is no longer improvement. It's maintenance! That said, I've been studying some stuff online, and have some things to try at the range when I do go out.

Time and money for me. I've also never played in a competitive setting, aside from a few THP events, where my score truly matters. I think that would change things greatly. If I was playing for something other than fun I would be much more tempted to get a lesson. I could certainly use some tips with the driver.

Honestly?

1. money
2. I don’t trust someone nearby to teach me/help me. Not because they’re not qualified but I’m weary of going to someone jus to have them try to rebuild my swing completely. I like my swing. It’s unique for sure but I play decent golf with it. I don’t want to tear it down and rebuild and not play decent golf for a year or so

I have mine locked in. This is the year I plan to take my game to its best.
I have a giant package through GolfTec hear in Nashville (Cool Springs) and absolutely love my coach.
Having the visual aspect has been eye opening thus far. I highly recommend looking into GolfTec or someplace that can record and give the data.

Back