Easiest way to remove a Superstroke putter grip

Chef23

2023 Srixon Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a Superstroke grip on one of my putters I want to shorten the putter. I have removed one before with one of the grip removal tools and a lot of solvent and elbow grease. Is that the only option? If I don't care about saving the grip is there a way to cut them off?

Yes, most grips that are applied with tape & solvent are a bear to get off and save, almost all of them get mishapen in some way. To cut them off get a hook blade and run it up the front of the grip and just pull it apart.

Air compressor and a plastic pipe that is just a bit larger inner diameter than the grip. Force air in from the top and it will expand, breaking the glue top to bottom. The pipe helps so that the air doesn't bubble out the grip too much. Patience is the key.

Yes, most grips that are applied with tape & solvent are a bear to get off and save, almost all of them get mishapen in some way. To cut them off get a hook blade and run it up the front of the grip and just pull it apart.

That is how I remove most grips. I wasn't sure if you could remove a Superstroke grip the same way. It is thick enough that I don't think a regular hook blade will work.

That is how I remove most grips. I wasn't sure if you could remove a Superstroke grip the same way. It is thick enough that I don't think a regular hook blade will work.

I've been able to get 2.0s removed with a standard utility knife blade. I usually cut a V shape in the flat part of the grip to get down center part, then use a hook blade if I can. They can be a bear but take your time and you should be able to get it removed without too much issue.

It will work, just takes a lot more effort. I've used a hook blade to remove 3.0's and 5.0's, which are enormous grips.

My experience pulling the SS grips is that they end up permanently misshapen or twisted slightly.
And they are really hard to get off.

To state the obvious?

I take it to my club guy and tell him I want a different grip installed, please save the old one if possible.

The only time I told him “do not do this if it jacks up the grip” was on my Circle T with its original grip. He got it off without incident (it was a tough 10 minutes for me hitting balls on his practice green, just worried sick, 😂)

To state the obvious?

I take it to my club guy and tell him I want a different grip installed, please save the old one if possible.

The only time I told him “do not do this if it jacks up the grip” was on my Circle T with its original grip. He got it off without incident (it was a tough 10 minutes for me hitting balls on his practice green, just worried sick, 😂)

I don't have a good club guy around I do it myself. I have a grip remover that works with lots of solvent but for Superstroke grips it takes a ton of effort. I am not sure it is worth it for this grip.

I don't have a good club guy around I do it myself. I have a grip remover that works with lots of solvent but for Superstroke grips it takes a ton of effort. I am not sure it is worth it for this grip.
Just cut it off with a hook blade.

Get a grip spoon. Start the spoon at the bottom of the grip, pry up and squirt solvent. Work the spoon around the shaft. When you advance the spoon, pry up and squirt solvent. Move the grip spoon left and right around the shaft. Keep doing this and the grip will start twisting. Push the spoon to the butt of the grip and squirt solvent and you should be able to pull the grip off.
It's a little time consuming but if you want to save the gip this is the way to go.

Get a grip spoon. Start the spoon at the bottom of the grip, pry up and squirt solvent. Work the spoon around the shaft. When you advance the spoon, pry up and squirt solvent. Move the grip spoon left and right around the shaft. Keep doing this and the grip will start twisting. Push the spoon to the butt of the grip and squirt solvent and you should be able to pull the grip off.
It's a little time consuming but if you want to save the gip this is the way to go.

I have one and did it before with another SS grip and it was quite difficult. I did it eventually but am not sure it is worth the effort. I am not 100% sure I like this particular grip.

Back