How old when you started playing golf?

I was in my early 20's

I was 47

Well, I've been swinging a club ever since I was old enough to stand and grip the mickey mouse plastic clubs my parents gave me.

But as far as a passion to play, that started probably right about 13.

~Rock

A friend took me to a 9 hole course when I was 22. Technically, that was my first round, but it was just one round, and I had no idea what I was doing. I didn't actually pick up the game until I was 29.

I first swung a club when I was 10. Started playing at 20 on and off but not seriously. Started playing seriously about 12 years ago at age 42

I would have been in my teens. Had a hodgepodge of old garage sale clubs when I bought a boxed set from the Wal. Played a bit with my friends once we were able to drive. Didn't get into it as seriously until I was in college, and really got after it after I passed my engineering licensing exams.

I was 16. I rented clubs to play a couple of rounds and completely fell in love with the game so I took almost half of the money I had been saving to buy my first car and bought clubs instead.

Picked up my first club at 50, it took a few years to lose my fear of all things golf. I got reasonably serious when I started to use Arccos a few years later, now at 60 i’m consumed with golf.

I think was around 10-11, somewhere in there. I started by hitting plastic balls in the back yard with some crappy Delta clubs and have been self taught my whole life.

First time I touched a golf club: 21. Played less than 20 rounds of golf over the next 27 years. Usually drunken golf tournaments sponsored by a bar.
Empty nest at 48, so I decided to buy a set of clubs and actually play the game.

69. I remember it like it was last year.

(Probably because it was last year? :ROFLMAO:)

I honestly don’t remember. I used to go to the driving range with my grandpa when I was real young just for fun, but it wasn’t until my early 20’s that I really started to play.

I was probably about 10. My grandparents were avid golfers and got my brother and i into the game. I've played off and on for my whole life since then and enjoy the game while I hang around a 12/13 GHIN, i'm working this year on improving, rather than just playing.

My brother (18 mos. younger) was, and still is, a truly gifted athlete who could outdrive most men by the time he was 12 and was a very creative player on the course and very skilled with shot execution, even as a 12 year old. As a 16 year old, I watched him drive the front portion of a green that was 370 to the center, with a persimmon driver. And the crazy thing is, it wasn't unusual for him to hit driver 340+ on any given day. I believe he could have been a fantastic amateur golfer, and perhaps beyond... just didn't have a lot of interest/patience for the game and rarely plays. He is still very long off the tee (300+ isn't unusual) and hits his irons well. Putting and chipping are his downfall, due to lack of play. He is just tinkering with the idea of getting back in, as his son has interest, and i hope he does. It would be such fun to play golf with him again.

I really started to play the game about 6 years ago. Prior to that, I'd hack it around with buddies but really didn't know much about it. Baseball enveloped most of my life for about 30 years and once my hips, knees, and body didn't work the same way as I'd expect I got out. also - an ultimatum from the boss had some impact... "You can continue to play baseball and not have a family. Or... you can play golf and have a family and spend time with us." At that point it was a pretty easy decision. So - 6 years being really invested in my golf game and really "playing."

I started swinging a club in my grandfathers garden around age 5. First time on course was around age 6.

I was 9 years old when I played my first 9 hole round of golf in the summer of 1972.

Seriously for score/handicap - 29.

I was 9 when i first played a golf course; starting swinging dad's old clubs in the backyard 4-5 years before that.

I would tag along with my Dad & Uncles when they started playing the par 3 course outside of Springfield, Ohio. They would let me hit a shot here or there. Around 19-20 one of the Uncles took me golfing and let me borrow an old set of clubs. He had cut a broom handle to make dividers in the bag they came in. It was a mix of irons and woods from different brands. I added a few clubs here & there and got my first full set at 26 when I got married. I was playing pretty regularly with my new father-in-law and his friends. And still do. One of them just texted and said "Sunday 1pm Tee time, need 1 more"...

I was 20 when I first started playing. Going to be 30 in April. Man it’s been a fun 10 years so far

First time I played on a course I was 12. I'll never forget the 72 I shot on 9 holes :cool:

I think I was 32-33 when I started and we had roughly the same score.

I had a lot of range time prior to the first time on the course.

I myself was 25
I’m 25 now and a few months ago is when I became truly addicted to the game. My dad had me out on the course with him at 18 months, played on and off throughout my early years then didn’t play for a long time until after college. Now I can’t get off the course, golf is all I care about and all I ever want to do. Watching TV? Golf channel. So much so, my gf is slowly becoming addicted to the game as well. I love golf.

Back