What's the craziest thing you've ever seen on a golf course?

My buddy and I get coupled with an enormous man and his cousin, this guy is like 6'6" and looked like Andre the Giant. On the second tee he swings like a maniac and one of his knees blows out, pop! he hits the ground like sack of stones and can't get up. They call the clubhouse and a team arrives, four guys try to lift him into a cart, not happening, calling the fire department, buddy and I said goodbye and proceeded. The cousin did not look happy, it was a glorious day for golf and his round was toast.

Last edited:
OP has it locked... BUT- 2 events involving Geese. One of the courses we play has issues with Geese, so they have Chaser Dogs. Guy goes out with the dog on the cart, and they find a gaggle that are doing what they do and crapping all over the greens. Sends the dog out and usually the geese fly off. Except this one time. Dog caught the goose and ripped it to shreds, wings flying, head comes off, feathers and fluff everywhere. It was hysterical. The guy could not get the dog to stop. He would grab the dog, go back to the cart and the dog would go back and rip it some more. That goose must have rally eff'ed up that dog so it must have personal.

Second was at another course that has issues with geese. My friend tees it up while they are crossing the fairway about 20-30 yards ahead. Now- he is about 6'4", 280 and can hit it a mile... if he could find it. There is no "ease it down the middle" here. Takes a mighty swing as usual, and thins it at around what seemed 200 mph. Ball never got above 2 feet off the ground... which is about how far above the ground a Goose head would be. At least it was straight. POOF... A red mist of blood, feathers and whatever was left of the birds head. And no, there was no running around like a chicken with no head. Dropped like a bag of wet rocks. And yes, he had to file a DEC report because apparently you can't mess with Canada Geese or something.

In no particular order:
-Watched a goose get smoked mid flight with a tee shot.
-At the local watering hole golf outing in a podunk town south of Chicago there were several bartenders turned cart girls driving around topless for better tips.
-Saw a guy have a heart attack.
-Saw a couple of guys playing in a league adjacent to us get mad at either other (they were on the same team) and take it to fists.

Last edited:
Dang yall got some stories. I have never had anything crazy like this happen when I am around.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
OP has it locked... BUT- 2 events involving Geese. One of the courses we play has issues with Geese, so they have Chaser Dogs. Guy goes out with the dog on the cart, and they find a gaggle that are doing what they do and crapping all over the greens. Sends the dog out and usually the geese fly off. Except this one time. Dog caught the goose and ripped it to shreds, wings flying, head comes off, feathers and fluff everywhere. It was hysterical. The guy could not get the dog to stop. He would grab the dog, go back to the cart and the dog would go back and rip it some more. That goose must have rally eff'ed up that dog so it must have personal.

Second was at another course that has issues with geese. My friend tees it up while they are crossing the fairway about 20-30 yards ahead. Now- he is about 6'4", 280 and can hit it a mile... if he could find it. There is no "ease it down the middle" here. Takes a mighty swing as usual, and thins it at around what seemed 200 mph. Ball never got above 2 feet off the ground... which is about how far above the ground a Goose head would be. At least it was straight. POOF... A red mist of blood, feathers and whatever was left of the birds head. And no, there was no running around like a chicken with no head. Dropped like a bag of wet rocks. And yes, he had to file a DEC report because apparently you can't mess with Canada Geese or something.
Dirty geese. We have a bike trail that runs along a lot of timber and prairie grass, in my area. If you aren't paying attention, a nesting goose will come right out of the tall grass and knock you off your bike. I seen one guy that looked like he went 3 rounds with the heavy weight champ because of it. Two black eyes and a swollen nose.

Saw a young man and woman hitting a hole in one back in the woods once. Aside from that, nothing really too far out of the ordinary.
seen this. Couple thought they were alone on the course as just finished raining, and were getting it on in a cart at the bottom of a hill. :cool:

Well there was the fire on a local course a couple of years ago. The 12th, 13th, and 17th holes surrounded it. Something odd about seeing fire trucks speeding up the 12th fairway and helicopters landing next to the green.

But the best part was it happened so fast that there were golfers all over the course and our group was laughing hysterically watching the group on the 12th fairway trying to decide whether or not they should play through.

Last edited:
I went with two friends/coworkers for a round before work. When we got there we saw a big fully-enclosed tent next to the clubhouse and a few people setting things up; figured there was a wedding or fancy party later that day. When we finished the round the party looked like it was going to start and everyone outside the tent was dressed quite nice. As we got closer we noticed some guys in black suits and sunglasses. Each one was standing alone and looking around...like security guys you see in movies. We walked past a couple of them in the parking lot and swore we noticed ear wigs. Who was in that tent?

The three of us worked at a local TV station and I went to work that afternoon. When I got there the news department was scrambling around more than usual. I asked what happened. A producer says "John Boehner is in town for a surprise event and we're trying to figure out where." I laughed. Sure enough we had walked right past the event leaving the golf course that morning.

I didn't see it but the following happened at a local golf course about 10 miles from my house. A guy was huddled under the pavilion during a rain storm. The lightning went through the pavilion roof and struck him dead.

Last edited:
What the OP discribed has happened here in Vegas more than once. This according to local news reports several years ago. I might suspect it's not that uncommon occurrence world wide.

I was at a tournament at The Palms GC up in Mesquite (2005 ish?). There were some young girls wearing next to nothing who were part of the tournament. "Golf Ambassadors" I think they were called. Didn't see anything illegal happen, but who knows.

The craziest thing I ever witnessed on a golf course was a police K-9 chasing a guy. The guy ran by me out of someone's back yard. The dog went right by me too followed by his police handler. I was glad the K-9 police dog knew who he was chasing. The bad guy didn't get very far.

Other crazy things I've seen have been animals, and reptiles on courses.

This! And its not close.

40 staff bags for amateurs filled with whatever equipment they wanted.

If I’d have known you had this kind of fun going on back then, I might not have had kids!

I’m sure my geese statute of limitations has run out.

It is almost a new season after all.

Iguanas on the 12th green while I was playing a round at Crandon in Key Biscayne. There were at least six of them just hanging out on the green. Funny thing is that I hit that par 3 in regulation but never went anywhere near my ball.

The craziest was in 1991, during the first round of the US Open at Hazeltine, when tragically 6 people were struck by lightning near the 11th tee. I was running for a tent a few hundred yards away when the lightning struck. Cell phones were very uncommon back then, and those of us on the course was wondering the reason for the long delay after the thunderstorm blew through quickly. We didn't understand until we saw the thousands of fans making room for the ambulances to pick up the injured - it was a very surreal scene.

It was an unforgettable Open for other reasons as well. Payne Stewart was/is my favorite golfer ever, and he won it that year in the 18 hole Monday playoff after being down 2 shots with 3 holes remaining. I blew off work that day and it was the best finishes in a major I've ever witnessed in person.

Last edited:
Hmmm.

I about sent one up our CEO’s butt when I was
told he was out of range a long time ago. He wasn’t. It did get me an invite to Muirfield but I’ve gotta admit I was about to have a heart attack when he showed up at the place I ran the next day to invite me, lol.

Various forms of cheaters (cheating oneself, fine-cheating others, we shall have words).

Ok, probably the one that’s popped into my head as the most stupid (that doesn’t involve me as the perp) my lone year as an Asst Pro at the local CC. We have a particularly wild event going on, probably a drunken weekend scramble of some type. I’m manning the pro shop and the other Asst Pro comes in and says “hey ‘Larry So&So’ is hitting balls into the parking lot from the 10th tee!!!”

He was very non confrontational and I’ve never had issues with confrontations, so I headed towards 10’s tee. Sure enough, he’s teeing them up into the parking lot as fast as he can and the guys he’s with are at varying levels of egging him on and looking horrified.

Told him it was time to go would he like me to call him a cab or his wife. After what I thought was going to come to drunken (on his part) blows, his friends and I talked him off the ledge. He kept proclaiming he’d pay for any damage, and yes the man financially easily could have. However had he hit my car or any of about 50 other members paying for the damage was likely the least of his worries.

He was not well liked, but that was the only real incident I had with him that season.

One of the kids flipped the range picker too that year, that was fun. I get how an enclosed range picker can be a fun target. Humans walking to assist that when it’s flipped over are not. I went back and closed the range, and it wasn’t the high HC players sending them at us on accident.

I don’t think anyone tried to hit us but a couple came way too close for comfort from good strikers of the ball that could have hit the same shot 45* away from us. Once, ehhh. Ok. Who sent that? From then on I’m walking backwards and watching. Oh no. Range closed, take it up with the Head Pro ya jerk!

There's one annual tourney like that here in my part of the world... not my thing, so I have not attended. A few buddies go every year, and like you said, anything goes. Let's just say the entertainment doesn't stop at stripping, and there are a few tents set up around the course. I'll leave it at that.

Years ago when I lived in SoCal there was a tourney like that every year at a local course - which the police busted. I still remember seeing the helicopter shot on the news of a bunch of golfers with their hands up, bags on the ground, being read their rights.
I didn’t know that was still going on. I knew a guy who used to go and he was one of the biggest creeps I’ve known.

Back when I was a lot younger my dad and I were playing at Fairmont Chateau in Whistler. As we stood on one of the elevated tees we saw a deer bounce out of the woods and across the fairway. How nice.
About 3 seconds later a grizzly bear comes barreling out behind him, tackles him at full speed and proceeds to maul it in the middle of the fairway. Sadly this was before the era of smart phones and HD cameras in everyone's pocket.

Needless to say, we alerted the pro shop, gave ourselves pars and skipped the hole haha.
I think I would have given myself pars on the rest of the holes as well and head for the hills.

...and yet you are cliffhanger.
That was my fraternity nickname. My big brother didn’t tell me we had the line that stretched and it was my first time repelling. First step off and upside down I went hanging 60’ in the air lol

Not nearly as dramatic as many of these responses, but while playing many years ago, after a particularly bad shot, one of my playing partners, threw his driver which happened to go over an 8 foot fence and land out on the road that ran along the course. As luck would have it, the club was run over by a car. The driver stopped, got out and brought the club back to my embarrassed friend. Good thing too. There was no gate in the fence, without the guy who handed it back, he’d have had a hard time getting to it.

was waiting to play a par 3 hole about 25 years ago. Group 2 in front of us had one guy hit two balls into the water. Guy picks up entire bag and throws it into the lake/pond and leaves. About 25 minutes later we are finally on the tee box. Guy wades into the nasty water to find his bag.

I'm thinking sanity has returned. He found the bag, pulled his car keys, let the bag go and departed. Sanity had not returned.

was waiting to play a par 3 hole about 25 years ago. Group 2 in front of us had one guy hit two balls into the water. Guy picks up entire bag and throws it into the lake/pond and leaves. About 25 minutes later we are finally on the tee box. Guy wades into the nasty water to find his bag.

I'm thinking sanity has returned. He found the bag, pulled his car keys, let the bag go and departed. Sanity had not returned.

Ahh hell, if it’s chucking clubs in water, only a lucky save has me still golfing.

I do like that he only retrieved the car keys.

I chucked my bag so ferociously that the strap caught on me and threw me in the lake with them. That was 25ish years ago.

I now just cuss myself under my breath.

I wonder how many bags and clubs are thrown into water a year:) better question, why does golf destroy otherwise normal minds for a moment?

I wonder how many bags and clubs are thrown into water a year:) better question, why does golf destroy otherwise normal minds for a moment?

I don’t generally get mad anymore. I usually suck and stay there.

I used to be decent. It rarely bothered me if I started bad and it went good or bad. But don’t let me be 2 under on 17 and hit one OOB.

Nope. I don’t enjoy that type of golf. I try to triple each first hole now just so I won’t get upset.

Back