Push Carts & Stand Bags...

RayG

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm looking to upgrade a bit from my older generic Push cart (I THINK it's a Ray Cook I got at Rockbottom a few years ago). WITHOUT spending $250 or more on a new one. The old one works, if a bit noisy thanks to some grit in the bearings, and it pulls to the right... until I switch the wheels, then it goes straight and quiets down... until it pulls to the left and goes noisy again. The biggest problem is the platform where the stand bags sits... there is no provision for the tab that is below the bottom of the bag that activates the legs. Yes, I CAN take the assembly off, but it's a pain because I do carry it around at the course once in a while. So I have to lay the bag in sideways and use a bungee to lock it into a position where it doesn't roll over all the time.

Is there a mid-level cart that takes this into account? When you look around at various carts, the pictures aren't generally highlighting that particular feature. While some APPEAR to have an opening or something, most do not show if they do or not. Other than taking a saw blade to the old one and cutting a passage, what are my options out there?

TIA for any recommendations at a mid price point...

I'm looking to upgrade a bit from my older generic Push cart (I THINK it's a Ray Cook I got at Rockbottom a few years ago). WITHOUT spending $250 or more on a new one. The old one works, if a bit noisy thanks to some grit in the bearings, and it pulls to the right... until I switch the wheels, then it goes straight and quiets down... until it pulls to the left and goes noisy again. The biggest problem is the platform where the stand bags sits... there is no provision for the tab that is below the bottom of the bag that activates the legs. Yes, I CAN take the assembly off, but it's a pain because I do carry it around at the course once in a while. So I have to lay the bag in sideways and use a bungee to lock it into a position where it doesn't roll over all the time.

Is there a mid-level cart that takes this into account? When you look around at various carts, the pictures aren't generally highlighting that particular feature. While some APPEAR to have an opening or something, most do not show if they do or not. Other than taking a saw blade to the old one and cutting a passage, what are my options out there?

TIA for any recommendations at a mid price point...
Do you have a Costco membership? I’ve read some good reviews on this brand

Do you have a Costco membership? I’ve read some good reviews on this brand

Yes, I am, and thanks, but look where the bag sits. It's not clear if there is a stable landing spot for the bottom of the bag and the leg thing. None of the pictures show that spot clearly. They show that they have that top section where the legs can sit, but not at the bottom which would be more important... to me, anyway.

I'd recommend the BagBoy carts but only if you also have a BagBoy or Datrek bag. They have their patented "Top Lok" notch that the bag fits into securely.

Yes, I am, and thanks, but look where the bag sits. It's not clear if there is a stable landing spot for the bottom of the bag and the leg thing. None of the pictures show that spot clearly. They show that they have that top section where the legs can sit, but not at the bottom which would be more important... to me, anyway.
What kind of bag are you using? I’ve owned a couple different push carts and have never had an issue like that.

Having used this one personally, a stand bag fits in there with no issue. It's stable and doesn't move around, especially with a bungee like connection for the base of the bag. I would have gone with this brand had they been in stock when I bought one. I just decided not to wait anymore so when I found a brand that was in stock, I jumped on it asap.

It's a TaylorMade from a couple of years back. I like the bag, it's just that the cart seems to have been made for a "cart bag" and not a 'stand bag'. The first few times, after 3 holes the bag was rotated over 90 degrees and practically falling off the base. That's when I got a TIGHT fitting bungee and just put it in lopsided to start.

It's a TaylorMade from a couple of years back. I like the bag, it's just that the cart seems to have been made for a "cart bag" and not a 'stand bag'. The first few times, after 3 holes the bag was rotated over 90 degrees and practically falling off the base. That's when I got a TIGHT fitting bungee and just put it in lopsided to start.
This is a Ray Cook pushcart I found on Amazon. On this particular one the base for the bottom of the bag looks tiny.

1614888089192.png

If this is similar to what you have currently, the CaddyTek should work significantly better.

Similar- probably a later model than mine (straps are different), but yeah the platform is small on mine as well, which is probably a big part of the problem in the first place- even without an opening for the leg tab thingee. I will double check on the CaddyTek. Maybe not getting one right away- like I said the old one is still serviceable and trying to put aside some funds for our trip in July. Maybe an "end of season" sale type of thing.

It's actually hard to shop for them, because the stores don't carry a lot of them on the floor. They might have a $29 pull cart and then a $400 Bagboy... in boxes.

Similar- probably a later model than mine (straps are different), but yeah the platform is small on mine as well, which is probably a big part of the problem in the first place- even without an opening for the leg tab thingee. I will double check on the CaddyTek. Maybe not getting one right away- like I said the old one is still serviceable and trying to put aside some funds for our trip in July. Maybe an "end of season" sale type of thing.

It's actually hard to shop for them, because the stores don't carry a lot of them on the floor. They might have a $29 pull cart and then a $400 Bagboy... in boxes.
Yeah, not a lot of middle of the road options. But, as long as you find something with a big enough platform for the base of the bag you shouldn't have anything to worry about. It just has to be big enough to extend past where the base and the stand meet.

Hopefully you can find something that meets your requirements; I have yet to find a push cart that has a large enough bottom platform to handle the leg activation plate of a carry bag. I've tried putting the bag on sideways, but it never stays in place.

Hmmm... Perhaps I won't be purchasing a push/pull cart, after all?

I upgraded from a ClicGear 3.0 to a BagBoy Quad XL. So much lighter and easier to open and fold up. The Top-Lok bracket also holds my Sun Mountain C-130S carry/stand bag perfectly secure. I don't need to use the BagBoy's cart straps.IMG_0832.jpegIMG_0833.jpeg

Back