What's your springtime weather comfort level?

How do you prefer spring to proceed?

• I want to see full snow as long as possible so I don't get tempted - brown grass is depressing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like to see some snow melt as it means warmer temps are coming

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want all of the snow gone as quick as possible - I don't mind staring at the brown grass for weeks

Votes: 38 86.4%
  • It really doesn't matter to me, I know I can't play until early April anyway

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters

Junkyard

Will Travel for Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
For those of us who live in a climate where we receive snow, how quickly do you want your spring "tease" to happen? For me I know I won't play until mid-April anyway, so regardless of how quickly the snow disappears it's not going to make the season start any sooner. Since I work outside, I don't mind the snow going away as it likely means warmer temperatures. But on the flip side staring at all that brown grass on the fairways doesn't call out to me either.

What about you - what do you prefer?

I don't want snow. Can't golf in snow. Can golf on brown grass.

I've been tearing up brown fairways for months. The only time I went more than 4 days without playing was when there was snow in the way!

When I lived in Nebraska I wanted the snow gone a soon as possible. As long as it would creep close to 40*, they would let us play. Losing your balls in a snow drift is annoying though.

I’ll take dormant brown grass every time over snow. Not even close.

Ever notice how 40 degrees in April is a lot warmer than 40 degrees in late October?

For those of us who live in a climate where we receive snow, how quickly do you want your spring "tease" to happen? For me I know I won't play until mid-April anyway, so regardless of how quickly the snow disappears it's not going to make the season start any sooner. Since I work outside, I don't mind the snow going away as it likely means warmer temperatures. But on the flip side staring at all that brown grass on the fairways doesn't call out to me either.

What about you - what do you prefer?

I will not play until April in all likelihood. I’m resigned to it. I have lived here long enough to hope otherwise. Temperature is forecasted to be below freezing for the next three days.

Ever notice how 40 degrees in April is a lot warmer than 40 degrees in late October?

April? We might actually get a 40 degree day by then :D. Just kidding of course, I hope.

We’ve had dense snow cover for almost all of February here in northern Illinois. The snow has been melting quickly and will be all gone just in time for some 60 degree weather here when I play my first round of the year on Monday.

I'm seeing 55 and sunny forecast for next week. Hopefully someone is open.

Give me the brown grass, warm temps and open courses. I love me some good snow but I'm over it. I want to be outside golfing

I find it fun to play in different seasons and take a bit of pride in developing my game in various conditions. As far as comfort, I don’t mind playing in cold, wind, or rain, but if you combine any two of those it gets miserable real quick.

Here in central oregon the snow shuts the courses down for most of winter, but there are some places within 45min further out in the desert (and lower elevation) that we can sneak out to pretty much all year.

I've been tearing up brown fairways for months. The only time I went more than 4 days without playing was when there was snow in the way!

When I lived in Nebraska I wanted the snow gone a soon as possible. As long as it would creep close to 40*, they would let us play. Losing your balls in a snow drift is annoying though.
I’ll take dormant brown grass every time over snow. Not even close.
Up here in Canada the courses are set up to close around November 1 and not open until we've had several weeks of decent weather, so there is never the opportunity to "sneak out" for a round once the snow goes away.
I can remember years back being in Bama in February at one of the RTJ courses and a cold snap went up the coast. We pulled into the parking lot and the thermometer read 30F. Being Canadian, we walked into the pro shop and asked about the frost delay. They looked at us like we had two heads - the ground was frozen solid but the course was open for play:eek:

I want the snow to be be gone as soon as possible so the courses will dry out, it typically takes a week or so to dry them out so the sooner the snow is gone the faster the courses will open.

I want the snow gone ASAP - don't care about the brown grass. In Edmonton however, there's usually still snow on the ground in early April.

Courses aren't open till May in Ontario, its -3 or 25 out rn, and because there's no snow id go play a round today tbh

None of the above, give me all the brown grass. You can golf on brown grass (y)

The snowpack keeps temperatures colder because it prevents the sun from doing it’s warming thing so the sooner it’s gone the better. We normally have some courses open by about March 20th and this year it might be sooner than that as our snow should be gone in the next few days. Private clubs won’t allow play until the ground is no longer frozen which is normally the first week of April and by that time the grass is almost summer green. Here’s a picture of our course from last March 9th and I’ll give our greens keeper an A+ because the grass starts out pretty green even right after the snow melts. It always looks a bit strange that first month or so with super green grass but no leaves on the trees until late April.

Around here with 12,000 lakes and 900,000 registered boats in the state(5.6M population), what many of us are really hoping for is and early “ice out” on the local lakes so we can start the boating season. It can vary by a few weeks each year but the average for our lake is April 19th. Yesterday my neighbor was out on the lake running his border collies with his snowmobile so we have a ways to go. :(

59F28313-4296-4120-8387-66FE844DE3C7.jpeg

Last edited:

Yep, agreed. Snow bad....grass good...even brown grass ⛳

Get the snow out of here as quickly as possible. I don't mind snow but once we get to end of February/beginning of March I know there's a chance the courses may open up if the weather gets over 40*.

I actually like snow around the Holidays, but hope it melts as fast as possible so we can get out here in the Northeast.

It is more blessed to mow than blow.

The snow is gone here in southwest Ohio. Maybe some in the shadow side of some hills or tree lines. We didn't get quite the deluge of rain last Sunday so things are drying up nicely. I actually made it halfway thru my backyard before the squishing began.
Have a Sunday tee time. It will be , mid-40's & sunny. Hopefully the wind stays low...

Hate the cold......bring on the snow melt.

Snow should stay in the mountains. It should be illegal to snow on golf courses !

I dislike the brown dormant zoysia, but at least I can golf on it.

Back