What's your springtime weather comfort level?

How do you prefer spring to proceed?

• I want to see full snow as long as possible so I don't get tempted - brown grass is depressing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like to see some snow melt as it means warmer temps are coming

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want all of the snow gone as quick as possible - I don't mind staring at the brown grass for weeks

Votes: 38 86.4%
  • It really doesn't matter to me, I know I can't play until early April anyway

Votes: 6 13.6%

• Total voters
Being a skier and a golfer this is a tough question. The best would be tons of snow in the mountains in January and February and the first 2 weeks of March. Then from March 15th on at least 50 degrees then I could golf starting late March and ski until May. Colorado had it best with elevation. I could golf and ski year round for the most part

Courses start to open in Mid-March, weather permitting. It also depends on the amount of rain early on, and if the course drained well. One in particular is barely over sea level and can get really sloppy in a hurry. The others drain better but do have some soggy spots you try to avoid. Opening day usually involves green conditions as well. They don’t usually go with temps at all, and I would rather have them be in good shape, then open too soon and be a problem the rest of the year.

The sooner the snow melts the sooner the courses open. With the snow melt over the past couple of weeks on Cape Cod I was able to get out and play golf last weekend. Too cold this weekend but I am hoping for next week.

We don't get snow, I just want it to dry out. I'm so tired of CPO

Give me brown grass, some sun and 40s and I'll be good to go

I require 55* and sunny (with minimal wind) before I'll really want to get out and play. Green grass and brown grass don't mean anything to me. I just don't like being cold.

~Rock

Grass color is irrelevant as long as I can play. I can add layers as required.

If a course will allow play, I will play it. If that means snow on the ground, or water everywhere, we do it.

Season is too short to not play because of the weather.

We have two seasons. Winter and golf season. Winter sucks.

I want all of the white stuff gone as quickly as possible. Look, I lived in Wisconsin for over 30 years, where it was routine to see snow all the way until May. I like snow for the holidays but after that, Im good with it being 45 degrees and rain all winter.
The quicker we get the snow out of here, the more winter golf we can play when there is a warmup and the sooner the courses can open in the spring.

I voted for the 3rd option, along with the vast majority. I want the damn snow gone! It does wonders for my overall mental health. Plus, it's half the battle for helping the courses dry out. The other thing I hate about Spring golf up here is slogging around in a quagmire!

I don't mind the cold weather but absolutely hate snow. If it never snowed another flake I would be very happy. The very cold weather keeps a lot of critters at bay and out of the area.

It got up to 79 degrees this afternoon. I’m pretty comfortable with that. 😎

In an addendum to my previous post. A few years ago, there was snow cover for nearly three months due to several storms and a long stretch of cold weather. The snow protected the greens from freezing (snow is a good insulator). That was followed by a quick warmup and fairly dry spell of weather in March and early April. The greens that year just about everywhere were the best they'd been in years. The snow cover prevented the winter players from damaging the surfaces during what would usually have been hard frosts.

In an addendum to my previous post. A few years ago, there was snow cover for nearly three months due to several storms and a long stretch of cold weather. The snow protected the greens from freezing (snow is a good insulator). That was followed by a quick warmup and fairly dry spell of weather in March and early April. The greens that year just about everywhere were the best they'd been in years. The snow cover prevented the winter players from damaging the surfaces during what would usually have been hard frosts.
We have a few complexes at my course that have banking behind the green surface. Years where we've had several freeze/thaw cycles the back portions of the greens have been severely damaged. Years where the snow has stayed put the greens come out without any damage. It's definitely something the greenskeepers hope for.

Back