Do you talk trash on the golf course?

Talked a little trash yesterday once the guy I was playing with wanted to play $5 a hole. Not to mention he was getting a stroke per hole and playing up a tee box up from me.
Yeah that's a nooooo from me dawg hahaha

All the people I play with are usually pretty darn supportive and really gas each other up. Only time we will really talk trash is if someone does something really stupid. Even then, you probably had to be a repeat offender on the day or previous rounds.

Be warned though, if you show up with a new pair of shoes (or belt, or hat, or sunglasses) you're going to get picked on like a wimpy kid in gym class. "New shoes boys, he thinks he's going to play good golf today." "Yeah, his mom tried to give me the same pair when she came over last night." "I didn't know they made those without velcro. Did they come with a matching backpack?"

Nope. I don't like it happening to me so I don't do it to others.

I don't mind a friendly jab here and there. I can certainly take and am willing to give it in the right situations. I try to make sure to know when a friendly ribbing is not wanted, or someone has reached the point of frustration that it is no longer fun either.

A little trash talk is fun.. Some one that is none stop about it is not.

Nope. I don't like it happening to me so I don't do it to others.
Good post. When I think of trash talking, I think of it being done to disrupt a competitor, which I think is anti-golf etiquette. Golf is about respecting others so they can play their game. A little fun with friends in a casual round is ok.

Only with my buddies

Absolutely do

Definitely depends on who I’m playing with, and how they’re playing. If someone is having a tough day I definitely won’t, but if they’re playing well and I know they can take it I do at times.

Yes. All in good fun, though. It's a sport and sports should have some trash talking.

Playing with the usual group in socal we get pretty savage. When I play with the Minnesota group I have to rein it in and be more “polite” .

I don’t play with a regular group, and I am I don’t play well enough to talk trash to anyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not generally.

For certain people, we’ll just pick on people named “Alex”, sure.

I’m generally pretty tame but may call into question general lineage and manliness? 🤣

Then crack open the good beer!

I am not a big trash talker. I will throw a friendly jab here and there when the group is up for it. But as a whole I don’t do it much..

Big trash talkers get old quick in my opinion.

A good one liner here and there is fine by me and generally is funny.

The Mizuno Experience Team may be disappointed but no trash talking - all you hear from me is "good shot" or "putt." When I get more comfortable, then I may joke about a condom shot or a Lewinsky, but otherwise, no. Other guys do it to needle or mock, but I'm not that guy. I don't mind if others joke good naturedly. It's a matter of comfort.

Ours is always in good fun, never in a spiteful or hurtful way. Trying to intentionally piss people off or get in their head is not my style, nor anybody else in my circle of golf buddies. Not even in money games. We’re friends first and foremost, competitors second.

There’s also a lot of compliments and positive comments on good shots - actually a lot more of that kind of talk.

CF4988D2-4B5E-4A68-9E03-EA2DF79AD5FA.gif

A friend once topped a drive and it rolled down the fairway a little bit. He looked at me and shrugged his shoulders. Seeing he wasn't upset by it I said Major League's "you really knocked the crap out of that one" quote. We both had a good laugh. Yep, that's the extent of my trash talking.

Never cause I know if I do, the golf gods would have a sandwedge shank in store for me sometime in the near future.

I have a group I’ve been playing with for 15 years now that talks a unique style of trash.

Our humor tends towards tends towards inappropriate anyway, but when you’re standing over a shot it gets VERY inappropriate and personal as a way too try to get you to break up and lose concentration. We’re great friends and no one ever gets butthurt as we know it’s in good fun.

We only play together a few times a year and guys will save up their horrible jokes and comments just for that birdie putt you really want to sink.

I had a bit of a personal win this past Friday with that group. I stood over a 15 foot par save and was subjected to two comments (one from each) I won’t repeat here... but I had of those putts I just knew would go in, and as it was tracking towards the hole I looked one, then the other in the eyes while hearing the ball hit the bottom of the cup... then on the next green at address I asked directly if they had any more comments, which they did not :)

No, which ultimately makes me a little sad... I’ll explain. The more fun I have with friends the worse I play. Last season I had a string of even par rounds and I noticed that the more distanced, quiet, and focused I remained I played better. Which is weird to complain about but I’d rather shoot 82 and have fun with friends than shoot 72 and act like the tightest tour pro.

I left a putt short today and made a couple comments to myself that made JT's sound like child's play. One of my buddies said "You're going to lose some sponsors over that for sure!". :ROFLMAO:

To others? 🤣🤣 With my game not a chance. To myself...every damn swing.

Back